Thursday, December 12, 2013

MOVIE WEEKEND: THE QUEEN OF VERSAILLES

Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

Today I present for your consideration yet another film that allows us to peer into the lives of strange and fascinating people. This documentary is called The Queen of Versailles (2012, Rated PG, Available On DVD and Netflix Screaming).


David Siegel made a boatload of money selling time shares. Along the way he shed a wife–or maybe two, I can't remember–and some kids. Then he married his trophy wife, Jackie, and they had a boatload of kids together. They decided to build the largest private residence in the United States–not too terribly far from where I live in Florida, yet light years away. This home would be based on Versailles. But then the economy tanked and David's business went down the toilet, and there they were, stuck living in the regular old mansion that wasn't big enough for all of them. Construction on the new home ended.

The Queen of Versailles ranks right up there with the strangest and most interesting documentaries I've seen. Jackie is particularly hilarious when she tries to save money. She sends a limo to McDonald's to get food. She visits a friend and rents a car, I think at Hertz, and asks what the name of the driver is. The guy behind the counter has to explain to her that cars at Hertz don't come with drivers. The Siegels have a bunch of dogs that poop all over the place. They are rich slobs.

We also see the new home that's in the midst of construction, and Jackie shows off the staircase she's going to use to "visit" the children. She buys cartloads of Christmas presents for the kids, who open their gifts, unimpressed, saying things like "I got this last year."

I'm torn between thinking these people are a riot or absolutely pathetic. I certainly feel sorry for the children. Jackie appears to be a blank-eyed drone with outrageously over sized boobs created by plastic surgery, yet at times she's a well meaning and kind blank-eyed drone with outrageously over sized boobs. Whether you think the Siegels are interesting or pitiful, this documentary certainly makes a point about The American Dream. I hope you'll watch it and see what you think of it.

The Queen of Versailles earns The Janie Junebug Highest Seal of Approval.

Happy Viewing!


Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug


22 comments:

  1. This production may have The Janie Junebug Highest Seal of Approval, but it strikes me as deadly dull. Better to be watching the high comedy of congress on Faux News.

    Blessings ands Bear hugs, nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise it's not one bit dull, but as you will, Bear, as you will.

      Delete
  2. This sounds very much like my post yesterday!! http://fishducky.blogspot.com/2013/12/the-very-poor-family.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw her recently on the news channel for her thrift shop that she own in FL. I can't remember what the story was about for the life of me but that's nothing new. This is a documentary for me to watch when Bruce isn't home. He hates shows like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to recall something about the thrift shop in the documentary.

      Delete
  4. I loved that movie. I thought it was completely fascinating. Sure, entertaining and funny, but also just so interesting. I was like you, switching to laughing at them to feeling sorry for them. Great, great movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great. I love taking a look at other people's lives, which are so very different from mine.

      Delete
  5. Your Candelabra movie was nominated for some globes. I just did a quick skim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Steven Soderbergh, Michael Douglas, and Matt Damon might disagree with you about it being MY Candelabra movie, but okay, I'll take credit for it. I look forward to having a Golden Globe to go with my Emmy and my Oscar. But when will I get my Tony? I guess Juli is probably keeping him.

      Delete
  6. Your Candelabra movie was nominated for some globes. I just did a quick skim.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And Downton, and Breaking Bad...more Globe Noms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DA starts in the U.S. Jan. 5th. What will Lady Mary do to satisfy her, uh, needs, now that she has no husband? Maybe we should all chip in and send Lady Mary a vibrator for Christmas.

      Delete
  8. I love looking at little slices of life in others' worlds...makes my life look either outrageously wonderful or horrifically boring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like my life. I don't want to be Jackie Siegel with her gigantic pretend boobs and dogs pooping all over the house.

      Delete
  9. Hmmm...I've read a lot about that family and their situation, but I haven't seen the doc yet. I really should

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last time I saw something about them they were starting construction on the house again.

      Delete
  10. They let the dogs poop everywhere? And did I just read something about a vibrator in those comments? Let's not get the 2 confused.

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In spite of having seven kids and nannies and whatever servants, nobody took the dogs out. They just pooped. Nobody thought the poop was a vibrator, and the only person to express concern was YOU.

      Delete
  11. Was like driving past a car wreck. You can't help but look. Amazes me how some people on this earth live and function. Was very interesting...in a voyeur kind of way. :)

    ReplyDelete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.