Monday, December 23, 2013

CARDS CARDS EVERYWHERE ARE CARDS

Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

Would you like to know what 82 birthday cards look like?

I knew you'd say YES!

First, I put the cards in this box, but even if I smooshed them down, there wasn't enough room for my Christmas present to my (former) mother-in-law. I sent her a book by Billy Graham, which I can say here because she's not into computers and would never read my blog.


So I found a box that was a little bit bigger, and put in the cards. Ah, yes. Definitely enough room for the book.



I mailed the box on Friday, using priority mail. It's supposed to arrive today.

But then it occurred to me that MIL would open the box and not be terribly surprised that I sent her a gift, but she would wonder what in the heck was going on with these cards from strange people–no, not strangers; strange people, that's what we all are.

I decided to call her that evening and give away the surprise. I ended up glad that I did because when I told her, she seemed kind of overwhelmed and not sure what was going on.

As I explained that I hadn't given out her address or last name or even said exactly when her birthday is, I could tell she started to relax, and then she sounded excited that she was going to have all these cards to look through. She could hardly believe that so many strangers (not necessarily strange people, I guess) had taken the time to send her a birthday card.

She asked if I had seen someone else collect cards like this. I said, No, it just popped into my head as a way to honor you.

We proceeded to have a lovely conversation and to express our love for one another. I could hardly keep from crying. She's so good to me.

I also thanked her for the Christmas gift she sent to me. I'm not her daughter-in-law anymore. She doesn't have to do anything for me, but she does because she's generous and she wants to set an example of how Christians should behave.

I told her that cards continue to arrive, and I'll send them after Christmas. Since Friday, I've received cards from Middle Child, Karl & Leslie in California, and Minxy (not saying where she lives because maybe she doesn't want people to know).

So my MIL has 82 cards for her 80th birthday, and she'll receive even more soon. I haven't been to the PO today, and I'm not going anywhere near there till they're closed for Christmas. That parking lot is crazy.

Thanks again to everyone who sent birthday cards, or supported my wish for cards in any way.

God bless you all!


Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug


29 comments:

  1. You might be the only person ever who has a former mother in law that you get along with. My sister's boyfriend's family loves her to death, but they're still together so it's not the same thing.

    It's an amazing thing though. People like that are the ones who actually understand what family is supposed to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend Carol has remained close to the spouses divorced be her children. She always says, I didn't divorce them.

      Delete
  2. You did a wonderful thing. And I think it fantastic so many people hopped on board to send Margaret a birthday card :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was thrilling to see the cards arrive. Thank you, Wendy.

      Delete
  3. I am glad you reach your goal... even surpassed it. But I knew you would. Be bloggers tend to help when we can... well, not me, but others. I don't give a shit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. The Post Office is crazy right now, to say nothing about the employees. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The employees have been extremely patient and well organized, just like another postal service employee I know.

      Delete
  5. That is awesome. So glad it gave you guys a moment of love with each other. They can be few and far between these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was especially cool because she's not really my MIL anymore. I've been replaced, but she doesn't treat me as if I'm a replacement.

      Delete
  6. Oh wow. What a way to celebrate a birthday. 80 is such a huge milestone. I am sorry I missed out on the surprise. Maybe next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! I just finished watching Lars and the Real Girl. Loved that. Ryan was wonderful. So was Patricia Clarkson, I thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can hardly even tell that Lars is Ryan. I love Patricia Clarkson. She in another indie movie I like; I think it's called The Station Agent.

      Delete
    2. I've seen that twice!

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you made your goal. Margaret sounds like a special lady and this is such a nice way to honor her. i hope you have a wonderful and very Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh and thank you now the signs song is stuck in my head, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's stuck in my head, too. What hath God wrought?

      Delete
  10. God Bless Us Everyone! Yippee for reaching the goal!!!

    Merry Christmas!!

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad the goal was met and she can spend her time going through all of these cards wishing her well! Glad to be a part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm making ornaments for next year out I the cards by cutting, decoupaging and hole punching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not at all good at craftsy stuff, but I enjoy seeing the things other people make.

      Delete
  13. Yes it was a good idea to ring her and give her the heads up about the cards they would had come as a big of a shock otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's awesome! I'm so glad you achieved the goal, and surpassed it! So happy that I could play a part in such a wonderful gesture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I appreciate the part you played, dear Pickleope.

      Delete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.