Tuesday, December 10, 2013

CELIBATING LOVE AND INTIMACY: MY ONE THOUSANDTH POST CELEBRATION

Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

As promised, I'm presenting my top ten most popular posts as part of my one thousandth post celebration. This post was first published on March 1st, 2012, as part of a series of guest posts in which various bloggers tried to help me figure out love and intimacy. For the record, I think I'm a lot closer to understanding it now that I know Willy Dunne Wooters. Six hundred seventy page views later, here's "WHAT IS LOVE? WHAT IS INTIMACY?" by none other than the much-missed Maxwell about whom so many of you are curious. 

Here's #7 on my top ten hits list:

What is Love?

Baby, don't hurt me. DON'T hurt me!

NO MORE!!!

So, this whole “What is love/intimacy?” thing is a bit antithetical to what my blog tends to talk about. But Janie asked, and since she was one of the few people who supported me on what is, undoubtedly, my most poorly received blog post, I knew I had to answer the call.

I'm awesome. Tell your friends.

Anyway, love/intimacy... I consider myself to have been in love/intimacy three times. I'll start chronologically.

The first time was with a girl I had dated for about 11 months in college. The bulk of our relationship was built on a close friendship. We had known each other for years before we ever actually dated.

I mean, I had groped her years before we ever kissed. It was that sort of friendship.


The love and intimacy stemmed from the friendship we had built over many years. We knew each other so well that we didn't have to go through any of that “are we compatible?” shit. And yes, save for the sex, the first several months of any relationship are shit. We avoided all that shit, because we were awesome.

Like constipation, assuming you don't think too deeply about that metaphor.

But, over time, we learned we didn't work as a couple. Plus, distance didn't help. Boo.

Also, apropos of nothing I've stated here, this was the girl who tried to get 4,000 women to simultaneously murder me.

Years later, came love/intimacy #2. This was someone I went to grad school with. We knew each other for about six months before we ever started dating.

This relationship lasted 3.5 years. We were studying the same thing, so we had a lot of shared common knowledge and friends. Thinking back on this, I think this is where our intimacy stemmed from – we knew so much of the same stuff that we could get into really deep conversation about our field of study without having to deal with anything real.

Fun story: One night, this ex and I went out for a nice meal. It was one of our date nights, and we were both looking forward to it. We had been dating for years at this point. During dinner, we got into one of our typical discussions on research we were doing. This was a particularly in-depth discussion, as we were getting into the nuances of the subject material. When our bill came, with both burst out laughing. The waiter, without asking or any prompting from us, split the bill. He had overheard enough of our conversation to assume that we were not even slightly romantically involved.

We thought it was funny at the time. Though I kinda wanted to punch the waiter in the junk.

Currently, I'm in love/intimacy #3. God willing, the third and final time I have to deal with this shit.

By far, this is the easiest one. I'm myself. She's herself. We're similar, yet different. We have very different views on life, but similar views on the things that matter.

  • Kids? Same (none)
  • Religion? Same (none)
  • Interpersonal relations? Insulty (my nickname for her is “Slutty Face”; I'm in her phone as “Ass Face”)
  • Living together before marriage? Yes (we are)
  • Marriage? Sure (but no rush)
  • Wedding? I guess... (but fuck that shit – elope)
  • Chores? Shared (like a boss)
  • Decorations? Complementary (I'm function; she's form)


You get the point.

Everything about this relationship is easy. It's perfect. It's been going on (mostly) for over a year. The parts that weren't on were due to distance (an obstacle which has been overcome).

So what is love/intimacy?

  • It's the ability to wake up in the morning and say “Get out of the bed, you dirty whore!” then follow it up with “Now tuck me back in and snuggle me.”
  • It's being able to turn a forcibly picking of the nose into a sexually intimate moment.
  • It's being able to have a conversation about a TV show you're watching while in the bathroom pooping.


You get the point.

Basically, it's easy. RSDW (my bloggy nickname for the GF) and I were long-distance for several months. Whenever she and I were together, it was easy. When we were apart, the relationship was still fine; it was the individual parts that were hard. Grocery shopping for myself sucked, and is something I avoided at all costs. Grocery shopping with her was easy and fun. House upkeep I never used to do, and when I did, was awful and poorly done. Since we've moved in together, it's easy and happily done.

You get the point.

No, the birds don't sing when RSDW and I are together. Disney movies make no more sense, and they can largely suck on my unwashed, freshly-evacuated asshole. Jesus has no part in our relationship, save for when one of us screams “Jesus Fucking Christ” during the throes of orgasm.

Since we now live together, RSDW's mother likes to use the (ridiculous) phrase: “Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?”

Excuse the inappropriately- and overextended-metaphor, but when you love the cow so much you can't imagine life without it, you fucking buy it.

That's what love/intimacy is. You get the point.


Thanks again, Maxwell. I miss you.

22 comments:

  1. Well, now, that was one awesome definition. I agree with him about the "easy" part. With the fella I was engaged to before Smarticus and I got together again, everything was such a big whopping ordeal. Stumbling blocks out the wazoo as we were planning the wedding. With my hubby, even after his leave got canceled a week before we were supposed to get married, we took it in stride. Not that that past 45 years has been nothing but a tiptoe through the tulips, but we don't make a big whooping ordeal of every little thing. We adapt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I feel the same way with Willy Dunne Wooters.

      Delete
  2. A remarkably candid post. Everyone's life is a journey but yours has been an incredible trek. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's not gentle, but I want him as my blog bud. Get him back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could. He wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but I knew that under his misanthropy there lay a gentle soul.

      Delete
  4. A GREAT (& I assume, honest) post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it, too. I hope they're still together.

      Delete
  5. Do you recon Maxwell will ever come back to the blog? Recon his wife will let him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if they've gotten married yet, and she didn't stop him from blogging. He had another reason he needed to quit. Maybe we'll get Maxwell back someday.

      Delete
  6. I so agree with the easy part. And, dumb Swede that I may be, I think I just figured out that dating someone means you actually do have sex with them. I've lived here for over 50 years and only Maxwell made that clear to me. Go figure...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People used to pretend they didn't have sex when they were dating. If a girl became pregnant, such a stigma was attached. I'm glad we don't have to pretend anymore, and it's easier to get birth control. Unfortunately, a lot of people won't use condoms. I'm glad Maxwell helped you. You aren't a dumb Swede.

      Delete
  7. but when you love the cow so much you can't imagine life without it, you fucking buy it.

    AWESOME.

    I too, miss his comments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I vaguely remember this series. Did I write a guest post? This was as honest and true as it could be. Congrats again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well now, that's a candid post! I agree, though, that a relationship should be easy, and that the compatibility works no matter what the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok first time I have read this because well I wasn't around your blog when it was first written, and wasn't this an open and honest post I could tell you it has made me think of my own relationship but that would be a lie because it didn't in fact it didn't make me think of anything I just enjoyed reading about someone else's relationship...............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to just enjoy something and not have to think too much.

      Delete
  11. I miss Maxwell and I never even knew him. Intimacy could also be described as feeling totally comfortable bending over the countertop with your pants around your ankles while your man pokes a greasy medicinal suppository up your bum. Not that I have any experience with that.

    Andi

    ReplyDelete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.