Thursday, December 19, 2013

MOVIE WEEKEND: SALMON FISHING IN THE YEMEN

Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

Today I present a movie I'd never heard of until susie of loonysuse recommended it to me. It's called Salmon Fishing In The Yemen (2011, PG-13, Available on DVD).


Sheik Muhammed (Amr Waked) wants to bring his beloved sport of fly-fishing to the Yemen, and he's willing to spend the money to do it. His representative, Harriet (Emily Blunt), contacts a British fisheries expert, Dr. Alfred Jones (Ewan McGregor), who says the idea is ridiculous. But then the Prime Minister's Press Secretary (Kristin Scott Thomas) hears about the scheme and exploits it as a story to distract people from trouble in the Middle East. Dr. Jones soon finds himself faced with what he believes to be an impossible task.

I am charmed by this movie. The Sheik is imbued with a lovely spirituality that brings peace to everyone he meets, even fussy Dr. Jones, who lives a rather unfulfilled life with an unhappy marriage. I especially like a moment when Dr. Jones realizes he can bring salmon to the Yemen after all: He's walking in a crowd of people, when suddenly he turns to walk the other way, as if he's swimming upstream. As Dr. Jones becomes more involved and excited about the fishing project, he can't help falling under the Sheik's "spell" and noticing Harriet's enchantments.

The one false note about this film is Harriet having a three-week fling with a soldier who is sent to Afghanistan, where he ends up missing in action and then presumed dead. One would think she'd been his lover for years, based on her reaction.

I must mention Kristin Scott Thomas. She's quite hilarious as the Press Secretary.

Here's what susie says about Salmon Fishing In The Yemen: I only own twenty DVDs and this is one of them.  It gets 5/5 fishies.  

Spoiler Alert: ( My only beef (or salmon) with the movie was the excessive grief for the not-dead-soldier (spoiler.)  Harriet only knew him for three weeks! Spoiler Alert over and out.

This movie is perfect for a date night with the one you love, or to enjoy on your own, as I did. It's a movie that makes me feel good about the world, and I love the Sheik's sort of other worldly philosophy and glow. Salmon Fishing In The Yemen earns The Janie Junebug Highest Seal of Approval. Watch it when you're sick of Lifetime and ABC Family Christmas movies, which I calculate will occur in about seven minutes.

Happy Viewing!


Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug

23 comments:

  1. Phew. I'm glad we both liked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad, too, but if you liked it and I didn't, it's not as if I'd make fun of you. Thank you for telling me about it. It's lovely.

      Delete
  2. I have this in my "to watch" list with the hubby, glad you liked it. I think I might get annoyed at the way she reacts to her not-dead-soldier that she only knew for three weeks..I'm still giving it a shot though. Thanks for the review, Janie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That aspect of the movie isn't so important that it overcomes all the good things about it.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like some serious drama, carrying on like that for someone you've only known three weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Janie .. couldn't agree more .. it's such fun. I loved it .. I even mentioned it on my blog - now that says something .. I combined it with Best Exotic Marigold Hotel ..

    A great feel good factor film ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. 5/5 fishies? Really? I wouldn't rank this one that high. Maybe 2 fishies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I stumbled across this movie last year--LOVED IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds interesting. I think perhaps I shall put it on my list. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think perhaps you will enjoy it. It's enchanting.

      Delete
  8. I HAVE NOT SEEN THIS MOVIE BUT I FINALLY HAVE MY NETFLIX SCREAMING BACK!!!!! I THOUGHT THIS WAS THE MOST APPROPRIATE WAY TO LET YOU KNOW!!!!

    ANDI!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THIS MOVIE ISN'T IN SCREAMING. YOU HAVE TO GET THE DVD, BUT NOW YOU CAN WATCH TONS OF GREAT STUFF ON SCREAMING BECAUSE YOU HAVE NOTHING ELSE TO DO.

      Delete
  9. It sounds like it might be good based on your description, otherwise I wasn't interested by the title. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the title didn't capture the magical nature of the film, but then I thought some more and realized, Yeah, salmon fishing in the Yemen. That's magical.

      Delete
  10. I have had this in my queue. Guess I'll leave it there. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read the book earlier this year and LOVED it. The author is Scottish and lives in a castle, which explains how he could come up with a crazy story like this. I forgot about the movie, but will definitely get it now. Thanks and have a wonderful holiday season, dear Janie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like the movie, Inger. Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  12. I liked this movie so much that I bought a copy. Another really good movie is Decoy Bride.
    R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it, Rick. You must be very romantic.

      Delete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.