Thursday, December 5, 2013

MOVIE MOVIE WEEKEND: PEOPLE LIKE US & 42

Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

Today I present two movies for your consideration. Neither one is brilliant, but both are interesting enough to be a distraction when you just want something to watch.

The first is People Like Us (2012, Rated PG-13, Available on DVD).


Sam (Chris Pine) goes home for his father's funeral to see if any money is coming his way. He's a little bit of a sleaze. He learns that his father left a large sum of money to someone named Josh Davis. Sam seeks out Josh (Michael Hall D'Addario) and finds he is a fairly young boy, living with his recovering alcoholic mother, Frankie (Elizabeth Banks).

This movie is pretty predictable, and the acting is mediocre, with the exception of young D'Addario, whose performance I enjoyed. People Like Us is worth watching to see the changes in Sam, and really worth watching for a brief sequence at the conclusion. This one little aspect of the film really touched my heart.

You can probably let children about 12 and older watch this movie.

And now, I present 42 (2013, Rated PG-13, Available On DVD).


This movie is a bit better and can be used as a teaching tool about segregation because it tells the story of Jackie Robinson (Chadwick Boseman) "breaking the color line" when Branch Rickey (Harrison Ford) signs Robinson to the Brooklyn Dodgers.

I expected a more tense atmosphere in this movie. Many white people were furious to see a black man playing on the same team with white men. Previously, black men played in the Negro Leagues. Moreover, some of the other Dodgers didn't want to play with Robinson.

Perhaps it's better that 42 is understated and controlled, because Robinson had to control his temper at all times and not give anyone a reason to belittle him. I particularly like a scene in which Rickey must encourage Robinson to face up to his detractors and take the field. Rickey is portrayed as insisting he has no interest in changing the face of baseball. He simply wants the best players. In reality, though, Rickey is out to make a dent in racism.

Chadwick Boseman gives a nice, restrained performance. Harrison Ford seems a little too much the intense, well-intentioned old codger, who resembles a dried-up prune.

42 is probably a movie you will want your children to see–maybe children aged 10 and older.

People Like Us and 42 have The Janie Junebug Seal of Approval. I realize I'm not slobbering with joy over these films, but both are good. They just aren't fantastic, and, thus, slobber worthy.

Happy Viewing!


Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug

27 comments:

  1. I've been watching Rue Paul's Drag Race so this could be quite the change up! Although the other night Branden and I watched 'I want a dog for Christmas Charlie Brown' and it was ridiculously cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rue Paul's Drag Race? I can't even imagine what that's like.

      Delete
    2. It's pretty much amazing! I'm only on the first season but 4 episodes in and it had me in goosebumps and tears! I do think that I need to stop watching it while I put my makeup on in the morning though...

      Delete
    3. This sounds like the kind of thing The Hurricane would watch.

      Delete
  2. Well, that makes up my mind to avoid both. I'm trying to cut down on watching bland movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to waste my time in service to others.

      Delete
  3. 2nd try...these comment boxes suck.

    Son would like 42. I saw The Sessions. Liked Helen, William H., and the Vera character. I did not feel the love for the main character. Bye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, 42 is probably a good fit for Joe. I liked The Sessions.

      Delete
  4. I saw 42 and feel pretty much the same as you about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been meaning to see 42 but haven't gotten around to it. Probably will see it, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you don't ever get around to it, I promise you life will go on and you'll be okay.

      Delete
  6. The review are great. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not seen either one but my son told me he liked 42. A) it's about baseball B) his Dad's favorite team of all time was the Brooklyn Dodgers. I'm not sure I'll watch it though. XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 42 is okay. I just felt that it could have been much better.

      Delete
  8. I really wanted to watch People Like Us, but mostly because i have the biggest crush on Chris Pine. Probably not the best reason to watch a movie, but sometimes a gal has to do what a gal has to do :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris Pine is pretty darn cute. I hope he gets some better movies.

      Delete
  9. Chris Pine is very easy on the eyes. I think he's the only reason I put this movie in my quay-way.

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Guess I don't feel too slobbery over those two movies, either. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Schultz is probably the slobbery one at your house.

      Delete
  11. I think you just saved me some time. ;) Thanks, Janie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Janie, so good to return, after being away a month, to your blog and to discover two movie reviews. I do so hope to get out of this wonderfully warm house and go to the movies over Christmas when a friend will be visiting. In today's paper, I read all the stories about Nelson Mandela--a truly great man, a towering figure of humanity--I met the title for a movie about him and the South African soccer team: "Invictis." So I"m going to see if the library has it. I hope you are doing well. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't like seeing Harrison Ford as an old codger. He'll always be Han Solo to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I want Robert Redford to forever be the guy in The Way We Were.

      Delete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.