Monday, October 19, 2020

THE BUG IN THE BED

Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

Before the pandemic, I spoke to a couple who had gone on vacation in Norway. They had so much fun that they decided to extend the trip by two days; however, they had to change hotels, which they thought was no problem. 

They settled into their room and continued to have fun, only using the room to sleep and shower. When they headed back to the U.S., though, they started to feel uncomfortable. They had nasty, itchy rashes. 

Yes, it turned out that the second hotel had bed bugs. They had one damn long trip home.


As you know if you've read my blog steadily, we Floridians have charming palmetto bugs, or as my nephew who grew up in Arizona calls them, sewer roaches. I've lived in my house for 10 1/2 years. As each year goes by, I see fewer palmetto bugs. I was especially pleased last summer because I could go out on the deck with the dogs after dark and see one palmetto bug. The deck used to have a dozen or more every time I went outside at night.


One night last month I went to bed and rested my head on the pillow. I felt my hair move, so I patted it down and wondered why my hair would move on its own.

 Within 30 seconds, my hair moved again. I sat up to look at the pillow. Although it was dark and I didn't have my glasses on, I could see the large palmetto bug on the pillow.

AIEEEEEEEEEEE! I screamed. I'm surprised the neighbors didn't hear me and call the police.

I pulled the sheets and pillowcases and quilt off the bed and washed everything. 

But the palmetto bug had disappeared, never to be seen again.

Perhaps he's lurking in a corner, waiting for a night to strike. Go away, you bastard.


Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug


Remember when Penelope enjoyed killing palmetto bugs? Maybe she killed the bug in my bed. 

Maybe, but not likely. She jumped out of bed as soon as the scream left my mouth.

26 comments:

  1. Just reading this gave me the shivers, Janie! 😲 Those are nasty-looking bugs and I would scream too if one was on my pillow. Hope it doesn't come back. Sorry to have missed your posts! Blogging seems to have lost its allure in these COVID times. Plus, I have a new rescue dog that takes most of my attention these days. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you write a post about the new dog. I had a hard time getting started again with blogging.

      Delete
    2. Yes, me too! Blogging is incredibly time-consuming, and when you're not all gung-ho, it falls lower on the priorities list. Zoey needs a lot of attention! She is young and energetic, plus a rescue, so there are a couple of issues. Great idea to write about her - when I find the time. 😉

      Delete
    3. I will love learning all about Zoey--when you get around to it. When I wasn't blogging, I missed the creative outlet. That's what drove me to get started again. Besides, I missed you and my other blog buddies.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. That would be difficult, but I have faith that you can outscream anyone.

      Delete
  3. We were getting them in the house more often than I could bear. We found out they came from the pine trees and most likely entered the house through the roof/attic. Hubby went up in the attic and sprayed everything really good with pesticide and the problem virtually disappeared. We will only see one now and then in the house and it's usually half dead. I think I'd die if one was ever in the bed with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I think I might have moved... to another house... not in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could afford it, I might go back to Maryland.

      Delete
  5. That would have freaked me right out! And I'd be hoping that it's the type of bug my cats would enjoy hunting and eating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cats would probably enjoy them. They're big enough to see easily, and it's fun (for a dog or a cat) to chase them.

      Delete
  6. I'm screaming right now and I didn't even look at those photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you've stopped screaming. You'll frighten your whole neighborhood.

      Delete
  7. I hate it when bugs get in my hair! You do have a lot of big bugs in hot and humid Florida, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we do. I've never had a bug in my hair, but I assure you I'd hate it, too.

      Delete
  8. We have those damned things too! They don't like living in houses but they don't mind visiting. The worst thing is that they don't usually do it, but those suckers can fly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've seen them fly. It's creepy. I've also been told that they bite. I have yet to experience that and hope I never do.

      Delete
  9. Yikes! First, I feel bad for your friend especially that she had to de bedbug everything before she stepped inside her home. That big bug is gross and I would have screamed as well. I recall feeling a spider climb around my hand and I screamed and threw all the blankets off me...my sleeping hubby was not amused. I think I had a mouse walk behind my head once as well(he got caught 3 days later..RIP) and the cats did nuttin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My former neighbor said he watched a rat walk right past a cat. The cat didn't care. Paid it no mind. Spiders and mice and rats, oh my!

      Delete
  10. OH MY GOODNESS !
    We have lots of yucky bugs here too but to have one in your bed !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was horrified, especially when I couldn't find him after he left my pillow.

      Delete
  11. I had roaches in my first apartment. Horrid creatures. Hope you dispose of yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spray and kill vigilantly. I had very few in the house over the summer. Now that it's a bit cooler, they'll want to get inside to keep warm. I'll put Penelope on guard duty.

      Delete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.