Thursday, October 8, 2020

MOVIE WEEKEND: MAUDIE

Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

Maudie came out back in 2016. You haven't heard about it from me before because I didn't hear about it until recently. The fine folks at Netflix delivered the DVD to me. It's rated PG-13.

Maudie is based on the true story of Maud Lewis (Sally Hawkins), who lived in rural Nova Scotia with her grumpy, old s.o.b. husband Everett (Ethan Hawk).

The Lewises didn't have electricity or running water. Their cottage was small and unattractive––until Maud started painting cheerful flowers and animals on it and ended up becoming a Canadian folk artist whose work is now on permanent display at the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia, along with their restored cottage.

I like the movie very much because of the excellent performances by Hawkins and Hawk and because it depicts Maud's persistence. She had rheumatoid arthritis, yet she never gave up painting, and she never gave up on Everett, though I think giving up on Everett might have been a good idea. 

One of her big problems, and the reason she ended up with Everett Lewis, is that Maud didn't have anyplace else to go. I suspect she's not the only woman who has dealt with a difficult life with creativity.

Now that I know about her artistry, I'd love to see her paintings in the museum. I've long wanted to visit Nova Scotia.


Here's the real Maud with one of her paintings in front of the cottage that she decorated so beautifully. Maud Lewis died in 1970.







I like folk art and would love to add a Maud Lewis painting to my home. These cows are adorable:


Whether you find Maudie and watch it or come up with some other movie you'd like to see, I wish you happy viewing! 


Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug

25 comments:

  1. True stories are so often inspirational aren't they? Particularly (for me anyway) true stories about women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. I'm wary, though, of anything that claims to be a "true" story.

      Delete
  2. That was a great movie. We agree on that and the desire to visit Nova Scotia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it, too. Maybe I'll see you in Nova Scotia someday.

      Delete
  3. I remember her art. Thanks for the recommendation. Another one for the list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everett was nowhere near as good looking as Ethan Hawke.

      Delete
  4. Glad you enjoyed the movie! Maud Lewis truly exemplified the unquenchable human spirit. I've been to the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia and seen her paintings and little one-room house preserved there. It is well worth a visit and I hope you get there someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so exciting, Debra. I feel better about it being a true story because you know about her. Too many "true" stories have little to do with reality.

      Delete
  5. I would have loved to see her paintings and her house. I haven't heard of the film, but may check it out. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. This movie suggestion is getting an enthusiastic response.

      Delete
  7. I already had that one in my DVD queue so I moved it up. I love the true stories and people fighting the odds. I think the hubby might annoy me, but I am forewarned. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The husband is cruel at times, but he's not as bad as the story goes on.

      Delete
  8. Marvelous recommendation, Janie. I will zoot over to this movie ASAP. I'm a fan of another Nova Scotia folk artist, Shelagh Duffett, who sadly passed away this year. Long live folk art <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I didn't know this sad news! I was a big fan of Shelagh Duffett's art too! What a loss!

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Mirka. This is the first I've heard of Shelagh Duffett. I'll have to find out more about her. I'm thrilled that so many other art lovers are here.

      Delete
  9. I rarely watch movies I never seem to have the time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you get much of a chance to relax, Jo-Anne. You are always busy.

      Delete
  10. I want to watch this, thanks for the review !

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved this movie and thought the performances were excellent. I think Everett Lewis loved her, you can see their relationship grow and he ends up looking after her.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Janie - I loved Maudie ... I saw it when I was up in Canada and wrote about it then. It's a brilliant movie and I hope everyone will take a look ... thanks for reminding me about it - take care - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you also thought it was brilliant. Sally Hawkins deserves awards piles on awards. She is a great actress.

      Delete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.