Monday, September 8, 2014

WHO YOU CALLIN' OLD? NOT FISHDUCKY!

Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

Some of my favorite old blogger broads released a book on Friday. It's called Old Broads Waxing Poetic.


Isn't this cover great?
I was the model for the shadow.
Ignore all the other women who say they were the shadow.

Proceeds from this book go to CARE International. You can purchase it from Amazon at http://goo.gl/JXXLTB.

Here's the description of the book that's on Amazon:

Though they're being robbed of their girlish looks, ability to bend without creaking, and stylish footwear, you can't take away their spirit. Rhyme or shine, they're eight Old Broads on a mission to bare their souls by writing from their pacemakers. Some of them are dusting off feelings that haven't been touched for decades, while others are shooting straight from their bionic hips. They also touch on serious subjects we all can relate to on some level, but just when you think nothing could be sadder, they promise to lift you up again. What makes Old Broads extra special is all proceeds will go directly to CARE International. As you turn the pages, even the poems without surprise endings will surprise you, because odds are, you won't remember reading them, and most of the broads won't remember writing them.

On Friday, when the contributors promoted the book on their blogs, they asked us to mention in the comments who our favorite old broad is. I cited my choice in a couple of places, but I have to name names here, too, because I want the world to know that fishducky of fishducky, finally! is my favorite old broad. 

I am honored to be one of her duckies and to have the "fishducky approved" button on the sidebar of my blog. She gave me my Grammar Police badge. Her blog always makes me laugh, and she sends me great grammar-related cartoons, such as this one:




30 comments:

  1. Hi Janie .. the collection looks just great and I love the title, and the cover .. such a fun project for the those old broads to get themselves entangled in ...

    That cartoon is just fantastic .. love this .. while your 'old broad' is rather beautiful to put it mildly .. perhaps she's your mother .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should be so fortunate to have her as my mom. Thanks, Hilary.

      Delete
  2. I saw this everywhere. Favorite old broad? I would say my mom but she wouldn't like to be called old!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're awesome, Janie. Thanks for posting this. Fishducky has spunk and personality like none other! She's inspiring. Great pick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I'll be someone's favorite old broad one of these days.

      Delete
  4. My dad's mother was definitely my favorite old broad. She was such a unique individual, and I loved her dearly. She used to make me walk uptown with her to spend her coupons, and we had to walk like we had a book on our heads...stand tall and proud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember walking with a book on my head when I was young. Now I walk with a book in front of my nose because I can't stop reading.

      Delete
  5. I have too many favorite old broads to limit myself to just one, and some of them are both old and broad, so there's that...

    Have some fun today, Janie girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you know lots of great old broads, then it's a difficult choice.

      Delete
  6. You are my favorite young chick!! I'm still trying to find out how I got to be an old broad. I was born in 1934, but I'm only 36 years old. My youngest child is 51, but that's his problem. I say when you find an age you like, stick with it!! The next year might not be as good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a young chick. Middle Child is our favorite young chick. Maybe I can be the favorite middle-aged and then some chick. Perhaps The Hurricane could tutor you in mathematics. I'm afraid you require some assistance.

      Delete
  7. Fishducky certainly is my favorite old broad too! I think she got to be an old broad because she is so darned FUNNY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a woman has to have a good sense of humor to qualify as a broad.

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on publishing this collection of poems. I hope it sells off the shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favorite old broad is my mother-in-law. She is 80 years old and as smart as can be. She can still hear well and is an excellent driver. She does the crossword from the newspaper every day. Now if I can just get her to admit she's wrong on occasion! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, fun! For some reason, it has me thinking of Erma Bombeck...she was truly a favorite old broad of mine. I'll have to get this book...although the better that proceeds go to charity...I highly approve!

    Good to visit you...yes, I'm still alive and well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erma Bombeck was hilarious--and wise. I visited your new blog. I'm thrilled that you are working on a novel.

      Delete
  11. What fun! You are an awesome shadow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great choice! I think fishducky is one of those few people in the world about whom one can honestly say, "To know her is to love her."

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fishducky is an excellent choice! The fact that Fran can always turn even the most traumatic situations into comedy gems, makes her one tough Old Broad! Thanks for featuring one of our favorite Old Broads, Janie!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, and Janie, do you mind releasing all of the other models who auditioned for the shadow?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I most certainly will not release them. They stay in the cage for at least a month.

      Delete
  15. Who doesn't like FishDucky, those who have never heard of her that is who, just so you know

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hahaha! This sounds great. And of course you're the shadow...The Shadow Knows...

    I love punctuation humor. My next blog title actually has some comma humor in it. If I ever get around to finishing it, that is.

    -andi

    ReplyDelete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.