Thursday, July 17, 2014

MOVIE WEEKEND: GIRL MOST LIKELY & ABOUT TIME

Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

Today I have two movies for you that Willy Dunne Wooters and I love. They share the theme of the importance of family loyalty and love.

The first is Girl Most Likely (2012, Rated PG-13, Available On DVD And Netflix Screaming).


This movie is a hoot. It was Kristen Wiig's first after her huge success with Bridesmaides, which WDW describes as lowbrow humor. Although I won't say that Girl Most Likely is a highbrow film, it's certainly a lot of fun, and the acting is excellent.

Imogene (Kristen Wiig) is a native of Atlantic City who now lives in New York City and tries to fit into her posh boyfriend's life, but it's obvious that she's different and his friends look down on her. After all, Imogene didn't go to Andover or Spence. However, when she finished college, she won a grant that was meant to allow her to become a playwright.

But she didn't. She frittered away the money and avoided her family. When her New York-life takes a sudden turn for the worse, she finds herself back in Jersey . Suddenly she's forced to live with her brother Ralph (Christopher Fitzgerald), her loony mother Zelda (Annette Bening), and her mother's even loonier boyfriend George (Matt Dillon). Imogene also finds a man named Lee (Darren Criss, who plays Blaine on Glee and is so hot in this movie) sleeping in her bed because her mother has rented out her room.

Although I love Wiig and Fitzgerald and Criss, it's Bening and Dillon who make Girl Most Likely an absolute riot. Dillon's character isn't just George. He's George Bousche––pronounced Boosh––and he's a CIA operative who can't tell anyone his real name. Bening is great because she plays her role as Weird Mother and Girlfriend of the Year completely straight; she believes The Bousche is what he says he is. And The Bousche will not drop his CIA cover story for a single second. You'll love seeing what happens with Zelda and The Bousche.

This movie is funny and smart and silly and well made. I revel in the devotion that Imogene and Ralph show toward one another, and in the progress that Imogene makes in her life. I love a happy ending.

Girl Most Likely earns The Willy Dunne Wooters and Janie Junebug Seal of Highest Approval. Just go with it and have fun. I don't think it's for children, but teens might like to watch with you.

And now I have a movie for you that brought tears of joy and sadness to my eyes. I think Willy Dunne Wooters might have sniffled a little, too. About Time (2013, Rated R, Available On DVD) has a delightfully clever screenplay, beautiful acting, and one of the sweetest love stories ever––and it's not merely a love story between the two main characters. It's the story of a family's love for one another.


When Tim (Domhnall Gleason) turns 21, his "Dad" (Bill Nighy) informs him that the men in their family are able to travel in time. They can't go forward in time. They can only return to events that have already occurred, and they can't change history. When Tim leaves his rural home to work in London as a lawyer, he meets and falls in love with Mary (Rachel McAdams). Tim uses his gift to win Mary's heart, to create the perfect romantic proposal, to make sure he has the perfect best man's speech at their wedding, to spend extra time with Dad when it's of the utmost importance, and to help his sister, to whom he's wonderfully loyal.

Best of all, Tim learns from his time travels to enjoy each day, to appreciate his family, and to cheer on his friends. He knows how to fill his relationships, or simple chance encounters, with love and joy.

Tim: We're all traveling through time together, every day of our lives. All we can do is do our best to relish this remarkable ride.

I like About Time so much that I ordered it from Amazon. I don't buy many movies, but this one is a must have. I know the Wooters man and I will watch it once or twice a year while we hold hands.

About Time is not for children. I would allow teens to watch it. This movie earns The Willy Dunne Wooters and Janie Junebug Highest Seal of Glowing, Loving Approval.

I wish you all a delightful weekend, filled with pleasant pursuits.


Infinities of timely love,

Janie Junebug

46 comments:

  1. Hi, Janie! I like Annette Bening. My favorite movie of hers to date is Rob Reiner's The American President. I enjoy movies that are smart and funny and silly and Girl Most Likely sounds like my kinda thing. I am especially pleased that the movie gives an actress Annette's age ample screen time and allows her to shine. I am also very eager to watch About Time because I like Rachel McAdams. It's good to know they are still making movies with happy endings and movies about family love.

    Thanks for the reviews, Janie. I'm adding both of these films to my must see list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's shocking that Annette has not won an Academy Award. She should have won for The Kids Are All Right.

      Delete
  2. LOVED "About Time", Tony and I saw it in the theater not knowing what it was about. Such an amazing love story when you have no idea what the premise is first. :)

    About "Girl"... any nudity or sexually explicit stuff? Language/innuendos aren't so much of an issue for us (see any of the superhero movies out now a days) Wondering if it's safe for the boys to wander in and out of the room if I get it on a Sunday. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plenty of innuendo. A couple of scenes in bed. I don't remember anyone being naked and the sex scenes were fairly brief. About Time is such a great surprise, isn't it?

      Delete
    2. Innuendo-aren't those Italian suppositories?

      Delete
    3. Yes, Al. That is correct. Insert one now.

      Delete
  3. Rachel McAdams is a talented actress. I think she likes showing a good love story though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She seems so sweet. I wonder if she's a nice person in real life. I hope so.

      Delete
    2. It just occurred to me that you resemble Rachel McAdams. You have that same sweet prettiness.

      Delete
  4. I like Annette Bening, so I'm sold on the first one. I saw About Time and I liked it . . . but not as much as you. I did watch it 1 1/2 times, but I didn't buy it. I own maybe 25 - 30 movies max.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I buy one-two movies/year, but they are usually gifts for Favorite Young Man or The Hurricane. I have broken my not buying movies for myself streak this summer and have purchased THREE with Amazon gift cards. Of course, I buy far more books.

      Delete
  5. About Time sounds splendid. I like the quote about all of us traveling through time. I'll have to put this on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About Time is one of the greatest surprises I've ever encountered in a movie. I had no idea that it would be so good and so absolutely perfect. Perfect.

      Delete
  6. These both sound really good. I'm as behind with my movie watching as I am with my reading. I'm adding them to my list. Thanks! You have a wonderful weekend, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always behind on everything so I just take one thing at a time and get it done and feel glad about the one thing.

      Delete
  7. I'm a Kristen Wiig fan and I have Netflix streaming, so I'm going to have to watch that one. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAYYYYY GIRL MOST LIKELY!
    If there's a movie I don't want to hype up too much but still want to encourage people to see, it's Girl Most Likely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so quirkily funny. I think I just made up a new word: "funny." Has anyone heard that before?

      Delete
  9. I don't know either film but Richard Curtis's work is very dependable so I'm sure we'll see About Time at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Love, Actually. I don't know if Willy Dunne Wooters has seen it. I'll have to ask him because I know he'd like it.

      Delete
  10. That sounds like a scream. We'll have to see that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm thinking of how fantastic it would be to leave home and return to a hot naked -- I inserted the nakedness because I'd like a hot naked man in my bed to do some inserting-- man in my bed. I'd expect him to share the bed, naturally.

    About Time sounds very warmhearted. I'll keep it in mind.
    Thanks JJ!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inserting. Inserting what? pray tell.

      Delete
    2. Oh I don't know. Just about anything except a banana. Been there, done that. J/K.

      Delete
    3. Good God. I didn't expect that answer. It's not often that someone can surprise me.

      Delete
    4. Haha. I wouldn't have gone there, Janie, had I not seen your sense of humor unleashed at some of our mutual friends' blogs.

      Delete
  12. My friend randomly bought tickets to About Time when I was in Tallinn visiting and I'm so glad she did! That movie truly is a good one. It's cute and humorous and shows great values in life. I watch it now once in a while :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had About Time in my queue, but not Girl Most Likely. I am definitely not a fan of low brow humor. Since that one is on streaming I may have to peek at it now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey...two winners! I love Annette Bening as well. I always think of "Regarding Henry" when I see her. I haven't seen either of these movies, but with the JJ Seal of Approval, how can I go wrong??

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Annette is good in everything, but I especially like her in American Beauty.

      Delete
  15. 'Girl Most Likely' sounds like a hoot! I saw 'Bridesmaids' and, if it's low-brow humor, it was low-brow humor that made me laugh out loud. Although, it sounds like Matt Dillon is really the star of GML (like Melissa McCarthy stole the show in 'Bridesmaids'). Sounds like something I should definitely check out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea Matt Dillon could be so funny.

      Delete
  16. I have About Time on my list, didn't know about Girl Most Likely . . . hope to catch them soon. Both look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's relaxing to watch such delightful movies.

      Delete
  17. Hey Janie,

    Even though I haven't got a clue who Willy Dunne Wooters is, even he approves of the movie and you approve of the movie, I guess that must be a not to be missed movie. Willy Dunne Wooters, sounds like a sexual complaint for a dude. I shall ask my doctor.

    Back to packing boxes. It's all go in this dude's life. I go and I go some more....

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WDW is my sugar pie honey bunch.

      Delete
    2. That explains everything. And now that bloody song is ringing in my ears! WDW is a type of lubricating oil! Right? No innuendoes.....

      Delete
    3. It's a great song. WD-40 is the lubricant, but I don't recommend taking it to bed.

      Delete
  18. I love Kristen Wiig, and Matt Dillion's Bousche sounds like it's similar to the his creepy character from Something About Mary! I also thought About Time was a wonderful romantic comedy, and the scenes with his dad were very heartwarming. A winning combination!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd forgotten he was in Something About Mary. I like Girl Most Likely far more than Something About Mary.

      Delete
  19. Hi Janie ... I probably wouldn't watch the first one - unless I was with a group of friends and family and that was their suggestion ... unlikely in my case .. but the 2nd one _ really didn't like when I went to see it ... it bored me - or I couldn't get into it - so I'm delighted to read you enjoyed it so much ...

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm ridiculously disappointed that you didn't like About Time. I want everyone to love it as much as I do.

      Delete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.