Thursday, June 19, 2014

MOVIE WEEKEND: THE BLING RING

Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

Although I seem to be in the minority, I like The Bling Ring (2013, Rated R, Available on DVD).


Sofia Coppola, who is one of the writers of this movie in addition to directing it, based it on a Vanity Fair article by Nancy Jo Sales called "The Subjects Wore Louboutins." Sales wrote the movie with Coppola.

It's the strange but true story (not everything in the article is in the movie) of a group of well-off California teens who start off burglarizing unlocked cars, move onto robbing the home of a "friend" who is out of town with his family, and then decide they want to own the belongings of the rich and famous. They use Google Maps and Google Earth to figure out where the glitterati live, and the best ways to reach their homes while avoiding security.

The actors are all fine. The only one of the group I recognize is Emma Watson of Hermione fame. The British beauty does a great job of jumping into the role of an obsessed California girl. Leslie Mann is also very good as one of the parents.

So why do I like this movie that only has a 5.7 rating on the Internet Movie Database?

Yes, I'll answer myself. First, because it's so bizarre that it doesn't seem as if it could possibly be true, but truth is always stranger than fiction.

I don't want to tell you the names of all the celebrities they rob and how they get into their houses. I'm afraid it would ruin the movie for you. I'll merely mention that the scenes in Paris Hilton's house are actually filmed in Paris Hilton's house, and the DVD has an extra feature with Paris showing off her digs and pointing out spots pf particular interest to the burglars, such as her shoe room and jewelry closet. Hilton's decor is so lavishly narcissistic that I find it amusing.

I like the kids' strange attitudes, too. They are deadpan when they talk about what they're doing.

Nicki: I want to rob!

Oh, my goodness! Don't leave out Nicki! 

Finally, I think Sofia Coppola is a good director. The Bling Ring is well made. Coppola tends to choose a good color palette, and the movie has some great shots, especially one of a couple of kids from a distance when they're inside a house that is that almost all windows. I like the security camera footage, too.


What can I say? You have to see a movie like this to believe it. 


Nancy Jo Sales has expanded her article into a book called The Bling Ring: How A Group of Fame-Obsessed Teens Ripped Off Hollywood And Shocked The World. It's on my Amazon Wish List.


As for kids, no. Teens? Be cautious. You don't want them to think stupidity is cool, whether it's the ignoramus kids or the foolish famous.

The Bling Ring earns The Janie Junebug Seal of Approval.

Happy viewing!


Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug

24 comments:

  1. There was another version of the movie that was made by the Lifetime channel, I believe. That's where my mom and I watched it a few years ago. I've been wanting to see this version simply because the story is supposed to have more details and Emma Watson. She's on my list of favorite actresses and people I wish I could be. I'm glad you enjoyed it though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Emma Watson, too. It might be fun to be her. She's a graduate of Brown and she's very talented and pretty; but the problem with being a celebrity is the lack of privacy. I don't know if students at Brown did this the entire time she was there, but during the first year at least, they had something called "Witch Watch." When someone spotted her at a football game or whatever, the person would tweet her location and then it would get spread around. You are correct that Lifetime made a version of this movie first. I'm not too big on Lifetime movies. I'd rather watch something directed by Sofia Coppola.

      Delete
  2. So is it a true story? Sounds interesting, I might watch it in my copious free time…:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to see this, Janie. I trust Sofia Coppola as a movie maker and I am drawn to strange but true stories. The theme, take from the rich and give to the not so rich (the teenage bling ring) also appeals to me. I was disappointed when ABC pulled the plug on The Knights of Prosperity, originally titled Let's Rob Jeff Goldblum, renamed Let's Rob Mick Jagger, a sitcom about a group of misfits who attempt to rob the cribs of celebrities. The ragtag gang was led by Donal (Grounded For Life) Logue and co-starred Sofia Vergara before she became the star she is today on Modern Family. I got a kick out of it.

    I will definitely add The Bling Ring to my watch list. Thanks, Janie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of The Knights of Prosperity. It sounds great. Donal Logue is funny. I've never seen Modern Family, but Sofia Vergara seems like a hoot. I felt certain that Sofia Coppola was a good director back in 2006 when I saw her Marie Antoinette. I didn't think I would like it, but I loved it. Great colors, and the contemporary music worked so well.

      Delete
  4. I do remember the trailers for this one - certainly intriguing. Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read the article and can't imagine watching the movie. The very idea of these hyper-privileged little jerks deciding to rob people for sport is infuriating to me. They could have done charity work for fun. They could have gone to another country to work with Habitat for Humanity. It's so painful to my brain I can't sit through the movie. But I greatly appreciate your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had read the article first, then I might not have watched the movie. The kids are a bunch of assholes. It also makes me want to break into a famous person's house and take anything I want. That desire is a toughy. If I went ahead and did it, then I'm sure it would become a habit. Janie Junebug: Bungling Burlglar--that would be the title of the movie about me.

      Delete
  6. Did your friend Netflix tell you would like this? My friend Netflix told me I'd give it 2.5 Stars... I have 12 Years a Slave to get depressed over. Bet it will get old and moldy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember if Netflix told me I'd like it, or if I saw a trailer for it and thought it looked interesting. I think it was Netflix. 12 Years a Slave is very good. It didn't depress me. I cried (just a little) at the happy ending.

      Delete
  7. I'd heard that story on the news, but I had no idea they were making a movie about it. It sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. I couldn't believe it was so easy for them to walk into celebrities' homes.

      Delete
  8. Looks like a good film. I am also one to end up enjoying low rated movies as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I quite often like the underdog, the picked on, the low rated.

      Delete
  9. It would be nice if The Knights of Prosperity came out on DVD. It was a lot of fun. I've seen Sofia Vergara on talk shows. She's not only gorgeous, she's very intelligent and witty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of that. I think it would be fun to hang out with Sofia.

      Delete
  10. I hadn't heard of this movie. Great premise---especially because it's true. Thanks for the review. I'll keep my eye out for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember hearing about this when it happened! Brazen, they were. Didn't they follow the celebrities twitters to know when they weren't home? Bizarre!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They would Google the people who interested them and find out when they wouldn't be home because they were hosting parties in another city or jetting off on a honeymoon.

      Delete
  12. I don't recall this movie when it came out. I seem to be seeing fewer movies these days. Next year I'm eligible for a senior discount so maybe I'll go to the movies more often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go to a movie theater approximately once a year. My reviews are of movies available on Netflix streaming and on DVD. If I watch a DVD when I get it and send it back the next day, each DVD costs $1.

      Delete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.