Thursday, May 29, 2014

MOVIE WEEKEND: AMERICAN HUSTLE

Gentle Readers  . . and Maxwell,

American Hustle (2013, Rated R, Available on DVD) is worth watching just to see Bradley Cooper with his hair in little pink curlers.




This very loosely based-on-the-facts film fictionalizes the Abscam scandal of the late 1970s and early '80s. Con man Irving Rosenfeld (Christian Bale) and his mistress, Sydney Prosser (Amy Adams), are dragged into the world of FBI agent Richie DiMaso (Bradley Cooper). DiMaso involves them with the mafia, and especially with politician Carmine Polito (Jeremy Renner).  DiMaso's wild plan to catch politicians taking bribes from Arabs could all be ruined by his own craziness and the intervention of Rosenfeld's wife, Rosalyn (Jennifer Lawrence).

It says a lot about this movie that it was nominated for all the major Academy Awards, including the four acting categories: Christian Bale, Best Actor; Amy Adams, Best Actress; Bradley Cooper, Best Supporting Actor; and Jennifer Lawrence, Best Supporting Actress. Jeremy Renner also is outstanding, as is Louis C.K. as DiMaso's much put upon but ultimately triumphant boss.

American Hustle is character driven, and I like that in a movie as well as in a book. The plot is a little wild, but it can be followed. It features some very funny moments, especially between Bradley Cooper and Louis C.K., and Jennifer Lawrence with anyone or by herself.

It did not win any Academy Awards, but I favor Amy Adams over Cate Blanchett, though Judi Dench should have won Best Actress. I like just about anybody instead of Cate Blanchett in Blue Jasmine. I could have beat Cate Blanchett for my role as craziest person in Jacksonville, Florida. It's not that Cate Blanchett isn't a good actress. She simply didn't deserve this particular win.

Jennifer Lawrence singing Live and Let Die while she cleans house is quite a sight.

This movie is not for children. Older teens? It's up to you.

I thoroughly enjoyed American Hustle, which earns The Janie Junebug Highest Seal of Approval.

Happy Viewing!


Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug

31 comments:

  1. Hi Janie .. I saw American Hustle and didn't much like it - but completely agree with you re Cate Blanchett .. didn't like Blue Jasmine either and anyone winning the Oscar but Cate in this particular role could have been better .. I agree - I wish they'd given it to Judy Dench to highlight the plight of unmarried mothers and 'stolen' babies of those times ..

    Good read - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Dame Judi's acting was superior to the other nominees. Thanks for weighing in, Hilary.

      Delete
  2. I wanna see it, Janie Junebug! I love character driven movies with wild plots and two of my favorites are in Hustle - Amy Adams and Louis C.K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanna walk around like Amy Adams (in this movie) with my dress cut down to there and no bra.

      Delete
  3. I liked it too, but thought it was just a tennsy tiny bit overrated (I liked silver linings playbook better)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed Silver Linings Playbook, but it irritated me because it made it seem as if mental illness could be overcome by love and dancing. Of course, Bradley Cooper's character also starts taking his medication, but in all likelihood, he would miss his mania and stop his meds.

      Delete
  4. I loved this movie. It's a lot of fun. By the way, a couple of spoilers in this review. This movie could also have been called "They Hate Bras" or "Betcha We Can Make These Guys Ugly."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which parts qualify as spoilers? I don't think I said anything that isn't on IMDB.

      Delete
  5. Amy Adams is my new girl crush. I thought she was hawt, and stole the show. I do like Bradley . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been in love with Amy since the first time I saw her. I read that she's getting ready to star in a Janis Joplin biopic. That will be a tough role, but if Charlize Theron could play a serial killer, than Amy Adams can play Janis.

      Delete
  6. Blanchett deserved to win for ELIZABETH GOLDEN AGE, that role was one of the most profound ones in history and she got nothing.... Judi should win for pretty much any role.... They two should've won for NOTES ON A SCANDAL too, and Cate for I'M NOT THERE and BENJAMIN BUTTON because she was totally transformed in both.
    We do adore Amy too....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Cate in Elizabeth and Notes on a Scandal. I'm not that crazy about Benjamin, maybe because it's my favorite F. Scott Fitzgerald short story and the movie doesn't capture the story's sense of whimsy. Thanks for joining us.

      Delete
  7. I'll have to watch it. That Bradley Cooper is one hot guy. He can even make little pink curlers look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone in this movie is good. Bradley Cooper is way up there on my list of men to date.

      Delete
  8. Oh goody, I'm glad you liked this movie. It's high on my list of to-watches, and now just got higher.

    I agree with you on Cate Blanchett in Blue Jasmine---it was an okay movie and she did a nice job, but I just didn't understand the hype.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually like Woody Allen's movies, but I thought Blue Jasmine was very sad and Cate was funny but not anything special.

      Delete
  9. I'd like to see J Law sing and sweep. That would be quite entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she's dusting. Whatever she's doing, it's a hoot.

      Delete
  10. Not to be a contrarian, but I really hated this movie. All that tremendous acting but this movie was hard to follow and depressing. I will say that it should win an award for the best comb-over since Bill Murray's performance in Kingpin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't depressed by it at all, and you know depression is one of my closest buddies. The comb-over is excellent. Christian Bale was almost unrecognizable.

      Delete
  11. We were just contemplating watching this last night. Now, after reading this, we will!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it. It's a roller coaster of a movie.

      Delete
  12. Pink curlers.... Do you reckon that was a special effect as in CGI? If not, he's a braver man than I will ever be. Amy Adams refuses to appear in my dreams....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really wore the pink curlers, and according to IMDB, it was his idea.

      Delete
  13. Bradley Cooper looks rather fetching in his pink curlers ...

    Movie sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I watched it a couple weeks ago. I liked it as well :)
    I thought Amy, Bradley, and Christian were great. Jennifer . . . I wasn't too impressed, but I am a fan of hers. I think maybe she looked too young for the part. Either way, it is worth a watch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer is kind of young for the part, but I thought she pulled it off. She's a riot.

      Delete
  15. I have to admit, I had no idea what on earth that movie was about until now! I do like both Jennifer Lawrence and Amy Adams, so it would be worth seeing just for their performances!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jennifer and Amy are great. If you watched this movie and didn't know what it was about, then you probably wouldn't be able to follow it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't seen it, but I love Bradley Cooper. Curlers notwithstanding.

    -andi

    ReplyDelete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.