Tuesday, March 1, 2011

SELF-ESTEEM

Gentle Readers,

Are the schools depleting many children's already meager supply of self-esteem by telling them they don't have it?

Oh crap, the teacher told everybody that I got an F on the math homework, I don't have any friends, and now I've failed the self-esteem test.

I don't remember ever hearing the term self-esteem when I was growing up. We just felt bad about ourselves without anybody making us feel even worse by telling us that we should feel like shit because we had no self-esteem.

I don't even know if it's a good idea to have such a high opinion of yourself. Of course, I'm a Lutheran and we believe in guilt. We're always ashamed.

One of my kids once brought home a self-esteem work sheet that showed she had no self-esteem. Said child was supposed to check off things like "I feel good about myself because I help wash the dishes." Said child said, How can I say I feel good about myself for that? We don't wash the dishes. We have a dishwasher.

Schools: Cut out the self-esteem crap and teach the kids to read and they can just naturally develop some self-esteem by not being idiots. Thank you very much.

Infinities of love,

Lola

1 comment:

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.