Monday, August 10, 2015

THE THIEF IN THE NIGHT

I sneak into your house when all is dark,
the children tired from playing at the park.
I arrive as the Biblical thief in the night.
Am I your savior? The term doesn't seem right.
I use my swiffer to clean up your dirt,
do the laundry, iron your shirt.
The baby starts to fuss. I rub his back.
You awake in the morning, snap our of bed, because sleep you did not lack.

Mrs. Roomba has a silencer, just like a gun.
She twirls through your house to make cleaning fun.
I wipe the shelves in the refrigerator. Before dawn I depart.
I want to leave you better than I found you. I hope I have a good heart.


P.S. Please remember that the "I" in a poem is not necessarily the poet.
I have yet to sneak into a house and clean it in the middle of the night.

Another postscript added after reading some comments: This poem is not one of my better efforts, but the idea popped into my head so it had to be written. I love the concept of helping people without them ever knowing I was there. So many people turn down offers of help. I used to turn down those offers. Then I broke my back in five places. Now I'm extremely grateful when someone provides assistance. 

The major theme of the poem is really kindness. I've said for many years that it doesn't cost us anything to be kind to people--to say hello, my! you look lovely today, offer to babysit, smile at someone with my lips together because I'm embarrassed by my bad teeth. A customer service representative for LifeShield helped me recently. He was so kind. I said, You're a gift from God. He said, You just made my day.

Words are power. 

34 comments:

  1. I had a Roomba once. It definitely did not clean the refrigerator shelves. It did, however, choke and die on terrier hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was it an early version of Roomba? The newer ones work well on dog hair. Franklin knows.

      Love,
      Janie

      Delete
    2. Yes, a $300 machine when they first came out. I told Roomba what happened. They never answered me. I counted it a very expensive lesson.

      Delete
  2. I want this cleaning elf to come to my home. Great poem:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. When The Hurricane went to a beautiful prep school in Pennsylvania, everything was so perfect that I imagined elves ran out during the night to cut the grass with scissors.

      Delete
  3. A grand poem... perhaps if set out a saucer of cream and honey this elf would visit me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mentioned it to the elf. Interested look on elf face.

      Delete
  4. Are you certain that you're not prone to self-referential poetry?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roomba schmoomba! I intend to build a life size, anatomically correct Janie Junebug robot to serve as my fantasy maid.

    (Think Weird Science.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'm quite as beautiful as the woman in Weird Science. Now I have to IMDb it because I can't remember who played the part. And no, I will not be your fantasy maid. I suspect Mrs. Shady also rejects the role.

      Delete
  6. Someone can sneak into my house to clean anytime. I can definitely do with the help. Well written, Janie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice! I need a roomba too. Mostly so kitty can ride it, because I've seen that on the internet and it looks super cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Franklin is afraid of Mrs. Roomba although she's been with us 2+ years.

      Delete
  8. We could only dream that this would be true....wake up in the morning to everything clean and clutterless. Nice thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like to go to bed if the house is messy and cluttered. It's a manifestation of my mind.

      Delete
  9. Mrs. Roomba is a good kind of thief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore my Roomba. One of the best purchases I've ever made.

      Delete
  10. Please, please, please break into my house. PLEASE!!!!! I wont call the police and I will leave the cleaners out.
    PS- Great poem!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. If there was any chance of someone sneaking in and cleaning ANYTHING I wohld leave fresh cookies on the open window sill.

    I'm turning off the alarms right now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kindness is the best religion or philosophy there is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is. Love thy neighbor as thyself. I certainly love Hot Young Anthony next door.

      Delete
  13. I loved the poem. I have a terrible time asking for help, but if someone offers, I have no problems saying, yes, please. And how nice if you could come to my house at night.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could be there for you, Inger. I worry about you.

      Delete
  14. You may not think this is one of your best but it is better then I could do, just saying.
    I wish someone would break into my house and clean it while I slept

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I wish someone would clean my house, too. I hate dusting.

      Delete
  15. Roombas scare the crap outta me! I do like the theme of this, though. Kindness goes a long way, especially when unasked for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore Mrs. Roomba. She works much better than any vacuum cleaner I've had.

      Delete
  16. I love this poem! I would also like to have a visit from the cleaning elf and would leave cookies out too!! :)

    On a serious note....It's so hard for me to accept help from anyone even when I really need it. I'm not sure why. Maybe I don't think I deserve it? I hate the thought of putting people to any trouble. I need to work on this in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the poem and love the sentiment behind it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have a Mrs. Shark. But I have to push it. Nice poem.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We met two missionaries several years ago and, although we're not Mormons, we took them under our wings. Your poem reminds me of when we'd go grocery shopping and leave bags of groceries outside the door of the two boys, then quietly drive away. The feeling we have in our hearts doesn't need applause.

    ReplyDelete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.