Friday, August 28, 2015

THE CEPHALOPOD COFFEEHOUSE: LABOR DAY BY JOYCE MAYNARD

Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

It's time for The Cephalopod Coffeehouse, hosted by The Armchair Squid.



The idea is simple: On the last Friday of each month, post about the best book you've finished over the past month while visiting other bloggers doing the same.  In this way, we'll all have the opportunity to share our thoughts with other enthusiastic readers.

My book for this month is Labor Day by Joyce Maynard. I had already seen the movie based on the book (click HERE to see my review) and wanted to read the book when Joyce generously offered an autographed copy of one of her books to anyone who donated $100 to fund the education of Rosa, a young woman in Guatemala who is learning to be a healthcare provider. 









It says

for Janie
with undying faith in the
power of love. And with
friendship

Then she signed her name and drew a little sketch of a woman.


In Labor Day we learn that Adele seldom leaves home because she's depressed. She lives alone with her young son Henry, whose father divorced Adele and married another woman. He also started a new family--a son and a daughter. Other than Henry, Adele was unable to have the children she wanted so badly.

The Thursday before Labor Day weekend, Adele and Henry make a rare trip to Pricemart to buy back-to-school clothes for Henry. They meet Frank, who is injured and needs a place to stay. 

Where do you want to go? I asked him.I was thinking, they weren't very considerate to their workers at this store, if when they got injured like this, they had to ask the customers to give them a hand.

Your house?

He said it like a question first, but then he had looked at me like he was a character in The Silver Surfer, with superpowers. He put a hand on my shoulder, tight.

Frankly, son, I need this to happen.

Frank spends Labor Day weekend with Adele and Henry and changes their lives. Frank indeed has superpowers. He teaches clumsy Henry how to play ball. How to bake a pie. 

How to have a man around the house who loves Adele.

How to betray. How to be forgiven.

I love Labor Day. Maynard's style and voice are outstanding. The book took me away into another world, and I didn't want that world to end, but it did . . . oi! 

When I reached the last line--You brought the baby, she says--I nearly turned into a melted puddle of pie crust and butter and tears and love.

Congratulations on writing such a beautiful book, Ms. Maynard.  Labor Day earns The Janie Junebug Seal of Love and Beauty and Gratitude. 

This book is available from Amazon at http://goo.gl/6NgLpF.

To join The Cephalopod Coffeehouse, please click on The Armchair Squid.


 Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug



Willy Dunne Wooters thinks Joyce is cute.

42 comments:

  1. The book is already on my -to read- list and now thanks to you I'm even more intrigued! It sounds compelling :) And lucky you to get an autograph! And a drawing, lol. Cant wait to read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to read this book! Thanks for the review, Janie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, dear heart. Thank you for joining us.

      Delete
  3. Hi, dear Janie! What an honor it was for you to receive that hand written acknowledgement from author Joyce Maynard. Thank you for reviewing Joyce's book Labor Day. Based on your description it is clearly a book that readers won't want to put down and a story they won't want to end. I agree that we must all keep undying faith in the power of love.

    Have a safe and happy weekend, dear friend Janie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only autograph I've received that was better was from Pat Conroy, who wrote, Janie, meet me at my hotel tonight and we'll read poetry to each other.

      That Pat.

      Delete
  4. Janie, I have read this one, and had pretty much the same reaction as you. It really does take you away into another world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it, Linda Kay. I look forward to reading your next book.

      Delete
  5. Wow. Sounds like a powerful book and how cool that you got a signed copy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite powerful, and I love Joyce's inscription.

      Delete
  6. This does sound like a wonderful book about many things that happen to every day people, like depression. It must have ticked you pink to receive such a wonderful autographed book from the author

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought she would simply sign her name. To receive such a kind inscription and a sketch was a thrill.

      Delete
  7. I had never heard of this book, but I went to Amazon, read a sample & bought it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love it. I've put all of Joyce books that I haven't yet read on my Amazon wish list.

      Delete
  8. Wow! That is some kinda powerful endorsement, kiddo. Sounds like a fabulous book. I'm currently reading "The Fault in Our Stars," and I feel the same way about it. Just thinking about it makes me want to start singing the Hallelujah Chorus. :)

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the movie of The Fault in Our Stars. It was lovely, and I want to read the book.

      Delete
  9. That was a nice autograph from Joyce! It sounds like an excellent book. I'll have to put it on my list to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find time to read it. It's so good.

      Delete
  10. Sounds lovely- and what a wonderful connection you've made with the author, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a lovely person who does not shy away from sharing her life with her readers.

      Delete
    2. She has that "lovely person" look about her.

      Delete
    3. Absolutely. I don't even mind that the Wooters man has a crush on her.

      Delete
  11. Sounds like a compelling book. Happy Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like the kind of book I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE, so I'm going to have to read it. Thank you, dear Janie and Joyce! Cherdo needs a big girl book to read during down time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a big girl book, but I love the character of young Henry.

      Delete
  13. Ack! Another book to add to my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how you feel. Never enough time to read.

      Delete
  14. I'm in. I'll get it.
    How have you been Janie?
    R

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love those books in which the last line brings a sob from somewhere deep within you. They don't come along very often, but they are SO satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes. The book builds up to that one perfect sentence.

      Delete
  16. This sounds really good! I'll have to add it to my never-ending-to-be-read list. Thanks :P

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, an autograph, a thoughtful message, AND a cartoon. That's awesome! Any book that left you feeling like a melted puddle of pie crust and butter and tears and love surely must be worth the read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The butter makes such a greasy mess, unfortunately. So does shortening.

      Delete
  18. Books that have such an emotional impact on you are worth bottling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, if I could bottle and sell the feeling this book gave me, then I would be a wealthy woman.

      Delete
  19. I know zip when it comes to Cephalopods. However, get well messages are easy for me to digest. Thank you for stopping over. I plan to post a BOTB Sept. 1st. (smile).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to post a BOTB, too. I look forward to seeing your competitors.

      Delete
  20. I don't usually go for anything that might be romancey, but that sounds like it might be worth a read. I might join your book club as well, I need all the motivation I can get to read more!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Labor Day isn't a typical romance novel. It's more of a coming of age novel. The bloghop is a nice group. I hope you decide to join.

      Delete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.