Friday, January 30, 2015

THE CEPHALOPOD COFFEEHOUSE: BEING MISS BY FRAN HILL

Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

It's time for The Cephalopod Coffeehouse, hosted by The Armchair Squid.

The idea is simple: on the last Friday of each month, post about the best book you've finished over the past month while visiting other bloggers doing the same.  In this way, we'll all have the opportunity to share our thoughts with other enthusiastic readers.

My book for January is Being Miss: A fictional account of a teacher's day in a boys' independent school by our blogger friend, Fran Hill. Fran, I love you. Just in case you don't know already, I do. I can't help loving you. You make me laugh so hard. 

Fran blogs at Being Me. You should follow her, but put on your nappie before you read her posts.

Because e-books are a bit hard on my weak, beady little eyes, I was thrilled when Being Miss became a paperback. I expected a lot of you, Fran, and you didn't disappoint. 

Being Miss is funny and quirky and adorable and everything I want it to be.




Lord, have mercy. If a student isn't picking his nose, then another one barfs up everything he's eaten in his entire life. "Miss" tries to teach these darling angels while dealing with her fear that she's about to be fired, and worrying that the entire staff will soon know how technologically deficient she is.

Fran, you had me with the first paragraph:

The good news: I dreamt about Johnny Depp again last night. He snogged my neck, and said, 'I don't care if you're in your mid-forties, five foot two, and the whole of Keira Knightley could fit into one leg of your trousers. You are all I have ever wanted in a woman.' The bad news: we were in a classroom, watched by eighty Year 9s with wildebeest ambitions, plus all their parents, the Big Issue man from outside Tesco, my Auntie Maud who died in 1983, and a school inspector in the corner.

Hard to believe, I know, but it only gets better from there. 

If you live in the U.S., then please purchase Being Miss at http://goo.gl/5kcH4i, or buy the Kindle edition on Amazon at http://goo.gl/efMsMP. If you are fortunate enough to live in the UK with Miss herself, then you can order the book from Fran on her blog at http://goo.gl/YUSJ5Q, which you can also reach by visiting Being Me.

You can even check out Fran's work on her next book by signing up to follow her at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fran-Hill-Writer/430140043700388.

Amazing, isn't it, that Johnny Depp says virtually the same thing in Miss's dreams as he does in mine?

Being Miss earns The Janie Junebug Seal of Highest Approval.


Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug








23 comments:

  1. Johnny Depp is amazing. I don't watch his movies around my boyfriend very often or he'll catch me drooling. And he doesn't watch movies with Jessica Alba because if I catch him drooling, I would probably smack him upside the head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read it--& LOVED it--a year or two ago!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello and good morning to you, dear Janie Junebug!

    You wrote:

    << Amazing, isn't it, that Johnny Depp says virtually the same thing in Miss's dreams as he does in mine? >>

    Mine, too!!!

    You wrote:

    << Lord, have mercy. If a student isn't picking his nose, then another one barfs up everything he's eaten in his entire life. >>

    Reminds me of my day to day experiences living in this house with the Brady Bunch (now renamed the Shady Bunch)!

    That first paragraph is killer. If it only gets better from there then Being Miss will surely be a hit. (I was told by a publisher that my manuscript is a Near Miss.)

    Thank you very much for reviewing this book by author Fran Hill, dear friend Janie. I wish you luck this weekend negotiating the rapids of your WDW - Franklin - JJ love triangle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see that the first paragraph caught your attention, Janie, since Johnny Depp is in the story! Aren't you jealous? I'll put this on my list right away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a lark. No doubt the kids bring a surreal quality to the workday. My kindergartener is forever coming home with wild tales.
    Thanks for sharing.
    V:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, that first paragraph is dynamite!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would kiss you with tongues if you weren't so far away. Be grateful, I guess, for that. Thanks so much for this. It made me laugh, and it's easy to see why we like each other's work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoy Fran's blog and need to check out her book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The book sounds enjoyable but teaching the kids does not:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Of COURSE you like it. Mention Johnny Depp and you'll like anything! I'd like to know what gets Janie Junebug's Seal of Second-Highest Approval ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Keira Knightley reference was funny! Do we know this person by another name?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never heard of the book, just saying

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh this sounds too good! I'm going to order!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fran is a hoot, I'll give you that! I do love a person who writes with humor.

    Have a good weekend, Janie poo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds like such a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Janie! I've failed woefully at getting around to my favorite blogs in the past few weeks! I always enjoy reading them so much. This book looks wonderful, especially as I've spent a lot of many adult years in the company of eight and nine year old boys and girls. I hope you are enjoying a good weekend and are warm! Warm is topmost in my mind because it's cold here and I'm hugging the fireplace and/or space heater! Have a good one! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That opening paragraph is outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a lot of humor in that book!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that paragraph. It sounds like a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This book certainly sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the opening. This will definitely have to go on my TBR list. Definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great first paragraph. Though what for some is a pleasant dream is to another a nightmare.

    To Johnny Depp I say: Get out of my dreams and also my car.

    ReplyDelete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.