Thursday, January 22, 2015

MOVIE WEEKEND: CHEF

Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

Ole! Do I have a great movie for you today (Ole! Tengo una gran película para usted hoy). 
It's Chef (2014; Rated R; Available On DVD; Written and Directed by, and Starring Jon Favreau).

Prominent Chef Carl Casper (Jon Favreau) disagrees with the owner (Dustin Hoffman, who comes off as a real doofus) of the restaurant where he works about the menu to serve to a well-known food critic (Oliver Platt). Casper gives in to Doofus's menu commandment, even though the chef should be in charge of the kitchen, and receives a lousy review. After Casper has a confrontation--to put it mildly--with the critic and it goes viral, Casper no longer has a job. His life is in disarray. He has virtually no relationship with his young son Percy (Emjay Anthony), and he's divorced from Percy's mom, Inez (Sofia Vergara).

At first Casper rejects Inez's suggestion that he start a food truck, but when he gives in . . . well, you have to watch it to see what happens.

I love this movie. I love the screenplay. I love the way it's shot. I love the acting. Favreau is perfect. The kid who plays Percy (I could make fun of the name Percy, but I won't) is a great help to his dad, but not in that obnoxious kid is superior to parent way. I don't watch the TV show with Sofia Vergara and have no idea what it's called, but she seems like someone who would be your friend and wouldn't care that she's gorgeous and you're not (although I am). I love the concept of building I can't tell you what because it would be a spoiler, and I enjoy the Cuban culture in the movie.

Chef earns The Janie Junebug Seal of Highest Whoop-Di-Doo Approval because it's fun and cool and all sorts of good things. I did not watch this movie with Willy Dunne Wooters, but I know he'll love it. I'll probably order it again from Netflix, or buy it when the price comes down, so he can see it and I can enjoy it again.

I don't think Chef was nominated for any Academy Awards, but some critics had it on their lists of movies that might be nominated for Best Picture, although it would be a stretch.

Happy Viewing!


Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug

17 comments:

  1. Fun movies are rare lately, so I'm glad you told me about this one. Food trucks have really become part of the landscape in the last couple of years. We have some great gormet-on-wheels trucks in town. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this more than I ever expected to. I had very low expectations for some reason I can't remember now--LOL! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So weird...Boyfriend and I watched it and really didn't like it. But as you note, the reviews were great! Not sure why we didn't like it, it might have been the premise itself (I don't remember the acting or filming being bad.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sold, Mrs. Robinson...uh... I mean Janie Junebug!

    I love Dustin Hoffman's acting style. I love listening to Sofia Vergara's thick accent. (I'm surprised you don't know the name of Sofia's hit TV series. She and Dolly Parton are co-starring in Bosom Buddies.) Restaurants and food critics always seem to provide good source material for laughs. I am also pleased to find a movie that gave no-name newcomers like Robert Downey Jr. and Scarlett Johansson their first break and a chance at some exposure. I predict they'll go far!

    Thanks for the review, dear Janie Junebug. It's food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds great, Janie. Sophie Vergara is one of the wealthiest actresses, I understand. She has the show, but also is in ads and very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, what a fun movie this is! My Rare One and I enjoyed it too and longed to have one of those cubano sandwiches!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this movie. It made me want to drive to a popular spot in NJ where they feature food trucks. :-) My friend and I saw this in the theater and we both gave it two thumbs up. Great suggestion, and as always, great review. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw this movie and would give it a solid B, but not any higher. It almost seemed like a movie made for TV, not that that's necessarily bad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a fun flick if you want to watch something light-hearted. (like after viewing American Sniper).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the review! I saw this advertised in the local theater where they show indie films but didn't get chance to see it before it left. I'll have to see if the video store has a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this film. Watched it so many times.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just ordered it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've heard about his one. I'd really like to see it.
    R

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wanted to rent this film but they were all out. I heard excellent reviews on this film. It is not nominated for anything. It is often interesting to watch the nominated films and then the ones that should have been nominated and see if you agree with the academy...I often don't (case in point Boyhood which is up for numerous awards)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'' have to stream this on netflix. thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I will add that to the list. I also saw Boyhood the other night. I liked it. I can't believe it was a 12 year effort. A lot of people seemed to dislike the acting of the kid (boy, forgot name) but I liked him. He didn't seem like an actor, he seemed like a real kid on the reserved side. The stepfather freaked me out. When I watch it again, I'll skip him.

    ReplyDelete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.