Thursday, January 8, 2015

DOCUMENTARY WEEKEND: WHAT I WANT MY WORDS TO DO TO YOU

Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

I saw a great documentary recently. It's What I Want My Words To Do To You: Voices From Inside a Women's Maximum Security Prison (2003, Unrated, Available On DVD).

Playwright Eve Ensler (best known for The Vagina Monologues, which I've never seen but I love the title) conducts a writing workshop with some of the prisoners in Bedford Hills Correctional Facility for Women. According to Wikipedia, Ensler continues to hold these workshops and has done so since 1998.

What I Want My Words To Do To You gives us glimpses into the workshops and the writing of the prisoners, and we get to see performances of some of their work by such actresses as Marisa Tomei and Mary Alice.

Considering that one of my favorite things to say is WORDS ARE POWER, then I guess it won't come as a great surprise to you that I am moved by this documentary and give it The Janie Junebug Seal of Highest Feminist Approval. Also Non-Feminists Approval, just in case you think Rush Limbaugh is a god of some sort.

I was surprised to see some "celebrity" criminals in the workshop. More about that another day. I've noticed that I quite often write that I'll continue a topic on another day, and then I don't do it. One of the changes I hope to make to my blog is returning to a subject when I say I will.

Joyous Viewing!


Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug

16 comments:

  1. Hi Janie .. I'm like you - I say I'll finish a topic with another post and do get there sometimes ...

    This sounds a very interesting documentary ... and words are power aren't they - if only we could get them to stick (the good ones, with the good thoughts) and be remembered in the coming months, years etc ..

    I'll look into this - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gonna look for it, Janie Junebug. There are some brilliant writers behind bars and think Mrs. Shady and I would enjoy this project in which their words are brought to life in theatrical performances.

    Happy Thursday to you, dear Janie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here in Edmonton, the Vagina Monologues is performed every Valentines Day by local women to raise money for women's shelters. I think other cities do this too, at least in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once again, you've got me intrigued and it is on my viewing list. Stay warm, JJ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds interesting. I will queue it up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janie, sounds like a great documentary. I'd love to see more of your writing and your thoughts on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wasn't aware of this documentary. Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a worth while (is that one word or two/) video to watch. I always appreciate your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed watching the Vagina Monologue. Eve does know what words can do. I should see this documentary.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi JJ! I loved your piece on your neighbors. I've had some doozies over the years. A neighbor in the last place we lived actually beat a raccoon to death on her adjacent patio with a hammer. What pests you get rid of in your own place is your business, but the raccoon incident did see extreme to horrified me! One of my current neighbors runs and closes his garage door every time he sees Terry, me, or our car coming up the street. I have no idea what that's about. Then, periodically and perplexingly, he runs out to talk with one or both of us! This documentary sounds fascinating. I think I've seen snippets of it on the PBS Newshour. I think words are among the most powerful things in the world, and I also think that everyone has a unique and valuable story to share. The goal for my blog is to respond consistently and not always be playing catchup. I have not been here consistently, but I love your voice and enjoy your blog so much! I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bet that would be interesting. Thank you, Janie. I think I'll see if I can get it online somehow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I definitely want to see that. I love watching documentaries, but haven't heard of this one before.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a great documentary! I'll have to check it out one of these days (along with all of your other great recommendations.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. How nice to give her time to women who may not have been given a chance and they can let out their writing ways and say what's on their minds..or not

    ReplyDelete
  15. You should write all your "To be continued" topics down somewhere. Like on another post ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope you stick to that resolution because I'm curious about these celebrity inmates. Hold on, "words are power"? I know a lot of words but I feel like the more I know, the more powerless I feel. Stupid knowledge, making me all aware of my general inconsequence.

    ReplyDelete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.