Thursday, October 16, 2014

MARILYN HOTCHKISS' BALLROOM DANCING AND CHARM SCHOOLG


Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

Today I have for you a fairy tale of a movie about a lonely man who finds a woman to love, but first he must rescue her from an ogre. I adore Marilyn Hotchkiss' Ballroom Dancing and Charm School (2005, PG-13, Available On DVD).


A baker named Frank Keane (Robert Carlyle) comes across a severely injured man who has just been in a car accident. His name is Steve Mills (John Goodman). Paramedics encourage Frank to join Steve during the ambulance ride to keep him talking. As they drive, Steve tells Frank the story of his childhood love, whom he's supposed to meet on the fifth day of the fifth month of the fifth year of the new millennium.

Steve begs Frank to take his place and go to Marilyn Hotchkiss' Ballroom Dancing and Charm School to find Lisa Gobar.

Thus begins a dance through time as Steve tells Frank about Lisa; Frank meets with his support group for men whose wives have died; and Frank begins attending classes at Marilyn Hotchkiss', where the teacher is now Marienne Hotchkiss (Mary Steenburgen), the daughter of the late Marilyn Hotchkiss.

The acting and the screenplay in this movie are excellent and pure. I must single out Mary Steenburgen for her work. She seems a fantasy, yet she is real.

I love the way the movie is shot. You might want to listen to the DVD commentary to learn more about Marilyn Hotchkiss' beginning as a short film, and its eventual expansion to a feature length film.

I doubt if children would be interested in this movie. Perhaps teens of a romantic nature would enjoy it.

Willy Dunne Wooters did not watch this movie with me, but I feel quite certain he would like it. He loves a good romance.

Marilyn Hotchkiss' Ballroom Dancing and Charm School earns The Janie Junebug Seal of Highest Fantastical Approval.

Marienne Hotchkiss: Dance is a very powerful drug Mr. Keane. If embraced judiciously, it can exorcise demons, access deep seated emotions and color your life in joyous shades of brilliant magenta that you never knew existed. But, one must shoulder its challenges with intrepid countenance if one is ever to reap its rewards.

Happy viewing!


Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug

P.S. Thank you for your kind comments and expressions of sympathy. Franklin and I are trying to adjust to life without Harper. It's very difficult.

28 comments:

  1. Hi, dear Janie! I think about Harper every day and hope you and Franklin are adjusting to life without him. If I'm not being too nosy, do you think you will eventually adopt another shelter dog?

    I have always appreciated the intelligent acting of Mary Steenburgen and if the rest of the script is as compelling as the quote you posted I will eagerly add this picture to my viewing list. I will probably need to watch it alone, too, because Mrs. Shady does not like romance movies. It's a shame you and I can't be movie buddies.

    Welcome back, dear friend Janie, and enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect I will adopt again, but I'm not going to search for a dog. If a dog comes my way as Franklin did, then I'll consider it. I must ask a rude question: What is Mrs. Shady smoking? She doesn't like George Clooney (correct?), and she doesn't like romances or sports.

      Delete
  2. Your movie reviews are always spot on, so this is going in our queue. Our tastes seem to be so similar I hope we get to watch a movie together someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be such fun, Shelly. I'm tempted to hop on a plane, watch a movie with you, and then come home.

      Delete
  3. Huh, I've never heard of this movie and I'm a huge John Goodman fan. Although, he was in Coyote Ugly and I didn't watch that one. Is it better than Coyote Ugly?
    Just so you know, for my very last post on Pickleope.com, I am going to pay up on my debt to you. You are the very last reader pickle I have and probably will ever do. It's not up yet, but just so you know, it has already been drawn and colored and scanned, so you will see yourself in pickle form (whether that be a good or a bad thing).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had the grand and glorious pleasure of watching Coyote Ugly. I had given up on becoming a pickle. Now you have me excited about life. I'd better be a cute pickle (if such a thing exists).

      Delete
  4. There was quite a run of ballroom dance movies for a while there but I didn't know about this one. I do like Robert Carlyle, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The actual dancing isn't the most important part of this movie.

      Delete
  5. Ahhhh I love me a good romance! Hadn't heard of this one yet, glad you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the excellent review, JJ. I haven't seen this movie, but I'm going to keep an eye out because it sounds like something I would enjoy very much. I hope that you and Franklin are faring okay. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds heartwarming, but I'm too busy watching past episodes of The Walking Dead where, unfortunately, there isn't much dancing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Walking Dead is very popular. I haven't tried it out, but I know The Hurricane watches it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are getting my list way too long for movies to watch. This one sounds really fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the kind of movie that sweeps you away from the real world.

      Delete
  10. I liked Mary S. In Parenthood. Loved Robert C. In the Full Monty. I'll add to the list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love The Full Monty. That movie is a riot. I don't know that I've ever disliked Mary in anything. Parenthood is a great movie. Marisa Tomei is in this, too. I've loved her since My Cousin Vinnie

      Delete
  11. Hadn't heard of this one. Thanks for some exposure to it.
    Hope each day gets better. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Franklin seemed to feel a bit better today. That helps. It's cool enough that we can go out for walks.

      Delete
  12. Sounds okay if you enjoy romantic movies. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This movie goes beyond romance. It's quite layered.

      Delete
  13. I love Mary Steenburger. She played a woman who wanted to be a lounge singer in The Butcher's Wife.
    This one sounds good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen The Butcher's Wife, but I think I've heard of it. Is Bruce Willis in it?

      Delete
  14. I love Robert Carlyle....he was genius in the Full Monty.

    Eddie and I send more hugs.

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robert Carlyle is great in this movie, too. Franklin and I send hugs to you and Eddie.

      Delete
  15. I think I will save this one for a night when L is away. I can tell I would love it, but he'd ruin it for me. Oh, he would try to be into it, but one can't truly enjoy a good romantic movie when someone is playing on their iPad next to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When WDW and I watch a movie or show together, I'm not allowed to embroider or tap on my laptop. You need some rules for L.

      Delete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.