Tuesday, October 19, 2010

LOST IN AUSTEN

Gentle Readers,

The last few days have been difficult, to be sure. I have felt low in spirits, a lowness no doubt exacerbated by my drunkenness and debauchery.

However, I'm feeling a bit better because I've started to watch a British mini-series called Lost In Austen, and we're talkin' Jane Austen, not Austin, Texas, which is a lovely place though. Oh, the hours I could spend at the LBJ Library and Museum. I'm really quite fond of presidential libraries - except Hoobert Heever's. His is pretty darn boring.

Anyway, this mini-series is a hoot so far. I'm about 45 minutes in to it, so I'm sure I'll let you know more about it. I suspect it will end up receiving the Lola Seal of Approval.

Here's a little taste of Lost in Austen:



Mr. Bingley: [after Amanda sings 'Downtown'] Brava, Miss Price! And whenever life is gettin' me down, I shall be sure to go 'downtown'. Eh, Darcy?
Mr. Darcy: With alacrity.



Mr. Wickham: Miss Price, I fear that your life with Mr. Collins may be short of gaeity. If you find yourself nonplussed by the anticipated pleasures of married life, call upon me and I shall redress the deficit.
Amanda Price: Full marks for trying, George, but I wouldn't have my deficit redressed by you if you were the last man on earth.




Mr. Bingley: Damn you! Damn you and damn everyone who won't put a light in his window and stay up all night damning you!




But, Gentle Readers, if you have made the nearly fatal error of never reading Pride and Prejudice, then the moment has arrived. Do not wait another second. It is delicious and delightful and that's why it can inspire Lost in Austen and the lovely, lovely A&E classic mini-series with the lovely, lovely Colin Firth.

I think Jane Austen one of the most, if not the most, clever writers ever.

Infinities of love,

Lola

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.