Friday, July 31, 2015

THE CEPHALOPOD COFFEEHOUSE: MOM & ME & MOM BY MAYA ANGELOU

Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

Before I discuss today's book, I have something very important to say:

Happy Birthday, Dr. The Hurricane!

Now it's time for The Cephalopod Coffeehouse, hosted by The Armchair Squid.


The idea is simple: On the last Friday of each month, post about the best book you've finished over the past month while visiting other bloggers doing the same.  In this way, we'll all have the opportunity to share our thoughts with other enthusiastic readers.

My book for this month is Mom & Me & Mom by Maya Angelou. I'm cheating because I didn't finish the book this month. It's been a while since I read it, but I left it sitting out so I could feature a quotation from it on Dr. The Hurricane's birthday.



I was sad when Maya Angelou died, but I was grateful for her extraordinary life and the way she chronicled it in a series of memoirs that began with I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings. I encouraged The Hurricane to read Maya Angelou's books.

Maya's mother, Vivian Baxter, sent Maya and her brother to live with their grandmother when they were young children, leaving Maya with feelings of abandonment. In this book, she describes her relationship with her mother over the years--a relationship that grew into a great love.

Here's the quotation from the book that I dedicate to my darling baby girl:

My mother stopped me and said, "Baby."

I walked back to her.

"Baby, I've been thinking, and now I am sure. You are the greatest woman I've ever met."

She continued. "You are very kind and very intelligent and those elements are not always found together. Mrs. Eleanor Roosevelt, Dr. Mary McLeod Bethune, and my mother--yes, you belong in that category. Here, give me a kiss."

The chapter ends with Maya taking in what her mother said to her. She writes: Imagine I might really become somebody. Someday.

Wherever you are today, my baby girl, I send you love, blessings, hugs, and kisses. You are already somebody.

Franklin sends you kisses, too.

Mom & Me & Mom and The Hurricane earn The Janie Junebug Seal of Highest Approval. 

I purchased this book on Amazon at http://goo.gl/IOz6JW.


Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug

26 comments:

  1. I love to read Maya Angelou; I think I need to get this one.

    Happiest of birthdays to The Hurricane! You're a pretty sweet mama, Janie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Say something. I'm giving up on you.

      I can't get that song out of my head, and it's your fault.

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday, Dr. Hurricane! :)

    I see this book going out all the time at the library I work for. I always loved Maya Angelou and I'll have to check it out.

    I think I might do an Armchair Squid review today! I finished a book last night that I really loved!

    Love,
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you join us. Go to The Armchair Squid's blog to sign up.

      Delete
  3. Looks like I'm going to have to get it; I've loved everything I've read from Ms. Angelou.

    Happy Birthday to Dr. the Hurricane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love her poetry, too. My favorite is Phenomenal Woman.

      Delete
  4. Janie, I so enjoy Maya Angelou's books, but I have not read this one. I'll order it ASAP, and Happy Birthday to the Hurricane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great book, but I can't think of anything Maya Angelou wrote that wasn't great.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful writer. I had to laugh when you said you hadn't entirely finished the book. I've had to do that many a time. I almost had to do it this month (but I managed to finish the book yesterday afternoon). I am the slowest reader in the world, and I always have 5 or 6 books started at one time. Sometimes I just have to go with whatever is my favorite book in that moment. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, but I misled you. I finished the book many months ago. I didn't want to use it as my favorite book of the month until The Hurricane's birthday arrived.

      Delete
  6. Awwwww, this is a wonderful post, Janie. Every woman should be so blessed to have a mother who believes she's someone special... and better yet, who tells her so. (Every man, too.)

    Happy birthday, Hurricane! Here's to a day spinning with a whirlwind of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's important for us to have faith in our children.

      Delete
  7. She was a great lady and still influences thousands today and for many years to come

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes. Twice I had the opportunity to hear her do a reading, and I didn't go because I had no one to go with me. That was many years ago. Now I would go alone without any problem.

      Delete
  8. Ms. Angelou was a great lady!! Happy birthday, Dr.The Hurricane!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she was Dr. Angelou because she received an honorary doctorate, so she and The Hurricane are/were both PhDs.

      Delete
  9. Maya Angelou was such a classy, insightful, and talented human. I was surprised by my favorite book of the month called Dreaming in Norwegian by Frankie Valente. I think it would be considered a romance, but the adventure, history, mystery part made it much more. It got to me on several different levels and only took me a day to read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday to The Hurricane.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday to the Hurricane! I know her alma mater is proud. Did you know Grinnell has the highest percentage of its graduates go on to get doctorates of any college in America? At least, that was the case back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't be surprised if that's still true. It's a very difficult college, and the students are high achievers.

      Delete
  12. When did The Hurricane become a doctor? PhD? Did I miss this big event??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what day it happened, but she's been building up to it.

      Delete
  13. What a beautiful moment. And now she's with her mom in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a nice way to think about it, Stephanie.

      Delete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.