Sunday, December 17, 2023

WE'RE HAVING A BIT OF A STORM

 Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

It's one week until Christmas Eve. I'll be working six days this week, but I don't mind. The trees are decorated and I've baked most of my cookies. On Tuesday we have a holiday lunch at work. 

On Tuesday I will also announce the winner of The Freakin' Green Elf Shorts caption contest. We have a lot of great entries so it's a rough decision for me, but what a relief it will be to get those nasty things out of the house. I can't wait to bring in an exterminator. We also need a lot of aromatherapy and I need an appointment with my doctor and dermatologist to find out which treatments I need to recover from the horror I've experienced. 

We have happy news, too. Princess returned home yesterday. She finished her training program, although she and I will continue to have lessons with the trainer, Curtis. Curtis said she would probably be very tired at first because she needs to decompress.

She rests near me but hops up occasionally to grab a toy from the basket. For a while this morning she chased a squeaky ball around the house.










I wish we could go out for a walk, but this is happening:



Lake Junebug has achieved record depths, and the wind is blowing hard. I'll be glad when the storm moves on with those shorts. 

We had a lake of a different kind in the house last night. After the dogs went out and I watched Penelope pee, I prepared some supper for myself and sat down to eat. Penelope went to the back door to indicate she needed to go out, a trick she sometimes employs in the hopes I'll put down my food so she can run over to snatch some goody while I'm opening the door.

Forget it, Penelope, I told her. I'm not falling for it.

I ate my supper and about 20 minutes later went to the living room where I found Penelope had created Lake Superior under the Christmas tree! 


After I apologized to her for not letting her out, I heard Penelope snicker as I cleaned up the mess. Bah, humbug.

We have some new ornaments this year.

This adorable doggy was a gift from Mistress Maddie:


And I added this flag:



Some politicians want to forget Ukraine, but I won't. 

See you Tuesday for the big announcement.

Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug

34 comments:

  1. Girl.....you have any idea how many Friday and Saturday nights I have said the same thing-"We have a lot of great entries so it's a rough decision for me, but what a relief it will be to get those nasty things out of the house." I need rest sometimes for Pete's sake!!!!

    As for the shorts...even after their gone, there will be no rest. It took me well a year to clean and exterminate at the Casa of those varmints. And I still get night terrors that I can't get them off me, and have to wear them 24/7!!

    We too are getting tons of rain. Light today, but it is supposed to cut loose tonight into tomorrow with about 3" falling. And here I thought we needed a sleigh for this time of year. The tree! YAY!!!!!

    Princess looks happy to me...and I can still hear Penelope snickering....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the storm is headed in your direction now that it's left me. It's going to turn chilly here tomorrow. I dread the year or more of clean up after having the shorts in the house!

      Delete
  2. It is wonderful that Princess is home. And I am sure she did snicker when you failed to pay attention to her.
    Stay dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to walk through the cold water last night to adjust the pump. I did not like it. Princess loves plowing through the water and seems to think it's an adventure.

      Delete
  3. Poor Penelope. She tried to give you a heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Penelope two pee. What a clever girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how she could have needed to pee again that soon, especially when the second pee under the tree was huge!

      Delete
  5. Wow, that is one helluva lot of water in your backyard! I hope there's no danger of it seeping into your house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not deep enough to come in the house and my little pump is running. A hose goes out to the street and sprays water out there, but thanks for your concern.

      Delete
  6. OMG! You have a lake out there! I hope this storm passes quickly.
    Glad Princess is home! But Penelope! Ah, well. Where would she have gone to pee outside!? How can a dog pee in a lake? Is your pump working? Or is it not worth dealing with till the rain stops? Goodness!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The storm has moved on up the East coast. It rained very hard. The pump is working but the water is so deep I think it's going to take a few days to pump it out, or maybe until Christmas! The dogs are good at finding spots where the water isn't deep.

      Delete
  7. The dog ornament is wonderful. Lake Junebug is not. Although it looks like it's ready to be stocked for fishing. Would Penelope ever lie to you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Penelope would lie to me, and she has lied to me. She is the mastermind behind the troubles in this house. She even lies to Franklin. If he's on the big dog bed and she wants it, she goes to the living room to bark, suggesting someone is at the front door. Franklin gets up to see who's there. Penelope runs to the family room to take over the big dog bed.

      Delete
  8. You must be so happy to have Princess home for the holidays. ♥ How awful about the floods! At least Penelope's lake could be cleaned up. Cute doggie ornament. ☺ And the Ukraine flag with the dove of peace on it is so timely. We still hear a lot about what's going on there and it's not encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lake Junebug should be dry by Christmas, as long as it doesn't rain again. I'm very concerned about Ukraine and trump's support of Putin.

      Delete
  9. Love your new ornaments. I always feel bad when lady A begs to go out and turns out she really had to go. We are having some wicked winds and rain here today too, but nothing like your lake front property. (((Hugs))) -J

    ReplyDelete
  10. All we got from the storm was a long day of steady rain. Down along the coast, they got whacked!
    Glad you made it through okay!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hope it doesn't rain again until Lake Junebug is gone.

      Delete
  11. Love the Ukraine flag ornament. Glad Princess is back. How did Penelope generate so much urine right after you watched her pee?! She must have held some back just to be mischievous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Penelope is a very sneaky dog. The flag ornament is glass and so pretty.

      Delete
  12. Never having had a dog, nor ever having had the desire to have a dog, I am unable to relate to any of this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you ever kept a bird as a pet?

      Delete
    2. No. The cage bird trade appalls me. I have spent my entire life committed to wildlife and nature writ large, but I have never had the desire for domestic animals.

      Delete
  13. I was going to comment about Lake front property but you went there first.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am glad Princess is back home. Your tree ornaments look beautiful! That storm (at least I think that's the storm you are referring to) went through Virginia yesterday. Not a fun day to be a dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet Shirley doesn't care much for going out in the rain. I hope I get to see a picture of her.

      Delete
  15. Too bad about the pee! Scruffy rings the bells that hang off our doors- front and back doors and the worse he has to go the harder he rings the bell.They are too smart, aren't they?! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Penelope! (I know it was Mum's fault really.) And that doggy ornament is fab!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is Rimpy. For some reason I can't log into Blogger on my Android phone. I hope your days get better. Take all the time you need. Your mental and physical health are more important than some stinky shorts.

    ReplyDelete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.