Wednesday, September 16, 2026

WHAT WEDNESDAY? A TOUCHY SUBJECT

Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell, 

I used to ask a question every week on my blog and I've decided to start again, even if it doesn't happen every week.This week I've chosen something sensitive. I trust you all not to engage in fisticuffs.

The question is the following: What do you think about the recent trial––or perhaps I should say mistrial––of Lindsay Clancy?

Clancy was charged with three counts of first-degree murder for killing her three children on January 24, 2023: Five-year-old Cora, Three-year-old Dawson, and Eight-month old Callan. She was also charged with three counts of suffocation or strangulation because of the method of death. These charges were dropped as redundant before the trial began.

The trial began in July, 2026. Clancy's lawyers argued an insanity defense.

When the arguments ended. jurors deliberated and were unable to reach a verdict because of one holdout juror. Eleven jurors voted to acquit Clancy. One refused and was described as acknowledging he held doubt about Clancy's guilt but would not follow the judge's instructions to apply that doubt to his vote.

Now, I want you to vote. Lindsay Clancy: Guilty as charged or not guilty by reason of insanity. What do you know about the case that led you to your decision? 

I'm not going to tell you what I think, yet, but I bet you can guess.

Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug

6 comments:

  1. I literally did not follow this case at all so I don't have an opinion. I only heard about it after the verdict and even then I didn't pay attention to it.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a difficult and heartbreaking question, Janie, this is one of those cases where it feels like there's no side without sorrow. Personally, I find it hard to form a judgment without knowing all the details of the trial, but the fact that eleven out of twelve jurors voted to acquit does seem to say something about how convincing the insanity argument was. I'm curious to hear your take when you share it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Diana. There's no side without sorrow. I'm still learning details from the trial, and many of the details are shocking.

      Delete
  3. Janie, I didn't really follow the trial as I found the subject so distressing that I couldn't allow my psyche to become involved in it. I am thinking that if 11 out of the 12 jurors were going to vote to acquit, the defense must have had a strong case. The whole thing is just tremendously sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is very sad. I wish I had seen the trial because I would like to know more about how the lawyers argued their cases.

      Delete
  4. Just to let you know I am caught up on your posts and I was here. Never heard of this lady or her trial so I don't feel I can vote. :)

    ReplyDelete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.