Tuesday, September 8, 2026

INTRODUCING ALICE

Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

Alice* came to us as a six-year-old foster dog through Mike at Florida Urgent Rescue [FUR]. No one knows where she came from, but it's clear she had a hard life. She was living on the streets in a different county, picked up as a stray, and ended up in a kill shelter, where Mike rescued her.

I've worked with shy, unsocialized dogs more than once. Penelope is the most recent example. That's why I had so many photos of Penny hiding behind the furniture or in my closet. But I think the word to describe Alice is traumatized

It's difficult for me to tell you this part of Alice's story, but Mike said he thought Alice had been beaten. 

Alice had her first appointment with Dr. G last week. Dr. G said she acts like a dog that's been beaten. Every time I tell that part of Alice's story my throat clutches and closes up and I start to cry.

Now I've told you, so let's focus on Alice's progress.

Everything with Alice has been baby steps. At first, she wanted to spend all her time on the bed in my bedroom. Not long after she joined us, Alice told me in this video, Stay away. Do not touch me. Do not look at me. Leave me alone. You are not safe.


Mike provided a baby gate to go across the bedroom door so Alice could stay in the bedroom on her own if she preferred, but she spent so much time in the bedroom that she built a new bathroom next to the bed.

We had to take action. I put a leash on Alice, which upset her so much that she pooped in the bed, and led her to the family room. I closed the gate behind us so she had to stay out of the bedroom. She likes the doggie bed in the corner of the family room that's placed a bit behind the couch.


During the past week, Alice has rested her weary bones on Princess' bed a few times. That's a lot of progress because it means she's out in the open.

I was shocked when she started to hop up on the couch. At first, she stayed in the far corner of the couch and faced away from me.

More progress. She can get closer to me on the couch and face me.


For a long time, Alice couldn't run past me when she came in the back door. I had to stand between the washer and dryer with my back to her. Then she would come in the door.

Now she's able to dash past me while I'm standing in the doorway facing her. I give her lots of praise.

I would like to pet Alice, but it's too much for her. When I adjust her collar, put on her leash, any time I have to be close to her, I scratch her neck and back, tickle her behind her ears, and pet her till I've loosened enough Alice hair to knit Christmas stockings for everyone I know.

I know she likes these moments. But they are rare. I wonder if and when the time will come that Alice doesn't flinch when I put out my hand.

Alice became an official member of our family during August. Alice and Princess are devoted to one another. The relationship is good for both of them.

We'll have Alice stories in the future.

Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug

 *The shelter gave Alice a different name. She wasn't attached to it, and Mike said I had naming rights so she is Alice. We'll talk about names another day.


18 comments:

  1. Sorry, all I could think of as I was reading your post was the thought of someone beating a dog. What kind of sick bastard??? Hopefully, your great love and care will restore this dog completely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sick people of the world take their anger and frustration out on the smaller, weaker creatures who can't fight back. Above all else, Alice needs to know she is safe here.

      Delete
  2. Abused animals make me weep. Who would ever do that?
    Tuxedo was abused, adopted out and given back and called mean, so many times. But when he came to us I would just sit in the room where we kept him until he acclimated to the other cats. First he'd hiss at me across the room, then he began running up to me and biting me; then he began playing, and then he started to crawl into my lap.
    And then he became the real Tuxedo, loving and loved.
    It may take a while, but between you and Princess, Alice will turn out to be wonderful.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, beautiful Tuxedo. I didn't know that about him. It must have been so gratifying to see his true personality come out. When my daughter was in high school, she wanted to adopt a dog that had been adopted and returned multiple times. Emma turned into such a happy, playful girl.

      Delete
  3. What a blessing you and Princess are to Alice. I'm sure with love and patience she'll soon have a new lease on life. People who mistreat animals are absolute scum. I hope karma is a bitch to the person who traumatized that sweet girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I hope the karma bus runs over the person who harmed Alice. Alice lived with Mike for a while, but he has six dogs. It's very quiet at my house and I can lavish her with love.

      Delete
  4. Alice is adorable.
    I love this post. We've always rescued, not shopped. Our vet asked me when we introduced yet another "shy cat" in July, if I gravitate to them. Not really, I just gravitate to where the need is, and it's always greatest with the shy ones. At least with cats, (what we have) the shy ones never become as outgoing as the ones that are not, but they gain confidence in spades, and it is rewarding to let them grow into their best selves.
    I'll be cheering for Alice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mirka. We think Alice is adorable, too. I'm happy to make donations to rescue groups when I adopt, but my money doesn't go to stores that sell pets.

      Delete
  5. I'm so happy that you and Alice have found each other. Anyone who abuses a dog should be neutered and put in a no kill shelter to spend their days never being set free. I'll get off of my soapbox now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You hop up on that soapbox whenever you like, Deedles, and stay there as long as you want. Neutering abusers and locking them up in shelters sounds like a good idea to me.

      Delete
  6. It is wonderful to take in rescues. I hope she continues to warm up to you. I'm sure it will happen in her timeframe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From Auntie Maureen. I can't wait to meet her. I know she is in the best place for her. She will soon be as easy as Penny was. I miss you all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We miss you, too. Maybe I can come to see you later this week?

      Delete
  8. Oh my gosh. Poor Alice! You are so kind to have adopted her and to be working with her. Bailey has her challenges too, so we will have to compare notes over time via blogland. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm already interested in everything you're doing with Bailey. I'll be happy when it cools off here so the girls and I can go for longer walks.

      Delete
  9. How wonderful that Alice has a loving new home with you and Princess! ♥ Hopefully, she will become more at ease over time. It breaks my heart to imagine her horrible past life. Our Zoey was also a street dog (in Kentucky) and has a huge scar on her throat. I wish she could talk and tell us what happened, but then again, it's probably better not to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Zoey is happy to be with the doglady. My son once rescued a dog that had fragments of a bandana embedded in her neck. He put ointment on her neck and removed the material slowly. I don't remember if she had a scar from it. She was such a cute, sweet dog.

      Delete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.