Friday, October 28, 2022

WHO AM I?

Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

Perhaps my question should be WHAT AM I?

I've wanted to take a DNA test for quite some time to see if it would confirm what I believed to be true about my ancestry––about 50% Norwegian and 50% German. 

Mother always made a big deal about being Norwegian because her mother came to the U.S. from Norway when she was 12 years old. Daddy's family was known to come from Germany––way back––although he laughed about being a "Polack" when I was in elementary school and Polack jokes were thought to be funny. 

I finally got around to ordering a kit a couple of months ago. So I spat into the receptacle and sent my slobber back.



The results surprised me, but fortunately not because I discovered that my mother had fertility treatments, the doctor is my father, and I have 10 million siblings (seriously, have you seen the Netflix documentary Our Father? It's insane. And that guy is not the only doctor who used his own sperm to impregnate women. Ah, here we go. Let's spank the monkey in my office and git her done while it's still nice and warm.)

So here are my results:







Eastern Europe and Russia? Finland? And then Norway comes in at a paltry 15%? Mother would have said, That can't possibly be true

I once saw a shirt that said YOU CAN ALWAYS TELL A NORWEGIAN BUT YOU CAN'T TELL HIM ANYTHING. Mother was certainly Norwegian in that sense. 

I've done a bit of work on a family tree, but haven't had a lot of time to put into it. Perhaps I'll be able to research it more in the future to find out who these long-forgotten Russians and Finns are. 

I picture romantic assignations with Cossacks in their finery and a title somewhere. Instead of Janie Junebug, Queen of Grammar, perhaps I'm Slovenian royalty.

Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug a.k.a. Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Something Or Other












26 comments:

  1. HI Janie - I must say I'm not surprised ... there was so much travel through time in the millennia before us over the land masses - but a fascinating 'picture of you' ... I hope you can trace your earlier relatives and find out more detail. Enjoy the research - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. How interesting. I am pretty certain I am a bit of a mongrel mixture. Perhaps some day I will take that test too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't terribly expensive and it was easy to do. Spit and return.

      Delete
  3. I should do this ..... I know there's some German and Irish in me but I wonder what else.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought my results were interesting. They had little to do with what I'd been told about my ancestry.

      Delete
  4. I already know I am a mutt and am just not curious enough to find out exactly how muttly I really am.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the memes. I was disappointed in my DNA test. It gave the standard percentages from the old countries, but I was interested in the more recent. We supposedly have Native American in our DNA but no one knows which tribe and it didn't go that deeply.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend Carol was positive her father was half Native American, but it turned out not to be the case at all.

      Delete
  6. I left a comment unintentionally as anonymous, but not sure it went through. Anyhoo, have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am mostly English and Walsh but throughly Aussiie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you can safely say you are "mainly" some kind of Viking. They roamed around a lot, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! A good friend of ours insisted she was mostly Scottish, as did her parents, and that was why they were proudly cheap. SG did ancestry research for her (without DNA) and was able to go back 5 generations and found absolutely no connection to Scotland. What he found was almost entirely Irish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People say something quite unkind about the Irish.

      Delete
  10. It's quite possible that people from Eastern Europe and Russia migrated to Norway (there was so much displacement in Europe due to constant wars) so more of your ancestors came from Norway but were not of Norway.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! I think I might take a picture and post mine tomorrow! You have inspired me. Mine was pretty accurate. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see yours. I think they're interesting.

      Delete
  12. Over 70% Italian. My sister had a 23 & Me test done. That's good enough for me. I don't need to send my spit in, lol. So, do you ever have cravings for borscht? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not! But at Christmas time I crave the Norwegian cookies my mother made.

      Delete
  13. That last photo is so funny, Janie! And looks like you've got some Viking in you. I wish I had some, but sadly, none at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to know what you found out about your ancestry.

      Delete
  14. Interesting! Going by your last name, I would have guessed German also. But, you have that Viking spirit. Cool! ☺

    ReplyDelete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.