Monday, October 17, 2022

DOGTOBERFEST CONTINUES

 Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

We've already reached the middle of Dogtoberfest, so it's time to celebrate Penelope.



Because Penelope has short hair, she needs a wardrobe of pajamas and sweaters to keep her warm. She shivers on chilly days. Even on warm days, she likes to go back to bed after her first potty break of the day. She pushes down the covers to make a little nest for herself in the bed we share. In the photo above, she's on her green blankie that's always waiting for her on the bed.

After Scout and Harper died, Franklin was a lonely only. I checked out Pet Finder and came across this photo:


I liked this little girl's smile. She also shared coloring with Franklin––black, white, and brindle. I thought she could be a good companion for him. I applied to adopt.

Penelope was born under a house in Georgia. A woman who lived in the rural area around Claxton, which claims to have world-famous fruitcake, had taken in Penelope, her siblings, and her mama. The woman, whose name was Cynthia, had taken in about 100 other dogs as well and set up her own shelter because that part of Georgia had no humane society. Nothing existed to help homeless dogs and cats. Cynthia, with help from some volunteers, created a shelter on her property, fed the animals, and arranged for their veterinary care. 

When I drove to Georgia to meet Penelope during October, 2015, she was about a year old and knew nothing but living at Cynthia's shelter. She was one terrified dog when I put her in my car.

However, she wasn't Penelope. I know people at shelters try to come up with names for many animals and Penelope had been dubbed Mirabel. She didn't look like a Mirabel to me and she didn't recognize the name. As I wondered what her true name should be, she glued herself to the floor of my car and didn't budge. 

I made a quick pit stop at a McDonald's so I could pee and get a burger for her. She didn't touch it but as we drove away, I suddenly knew what her name should be. She had waited for me for a long time; her name had to be Penelope––a name from Greek mythology, the name of the woman who waited so long and faithfully for Odysseus. Yes, she was my Penelope.

We pulled into our garage later that afternoon as a light rain began to fall. The newly christened Penelope would not get out of the car, and I couldn't lift her out. I ran to a neighbor's to ask for help. Tony came over and pulled her out of the car. She ran under the car immediately. That's okay, I said. At least she won't poop in the car and I'll get her in the house as soon as I can.

She was still under the car as the rain got heavier and it grew dark. Finally I took a broom and as gently as I could, swept her out. She started running around the backyard, evading me every time I approached.

I had to call in the big guns. My son came over as soon as he finished work and followed her around the yard getting more and more wet until he had her in his arms. He brought her in the house and held her with a big, warm towel around her. 

Penelope did not adjust to living with me as quickly as Franklin did. She spent most of her time hiding behind the couch for a year or so. 

But little by little, she became a braver dog. Her first contact with me was the same as Franklin's: She kissed my toes. I taught her that it was okay to sleep on her blankie on the bed. I even taught her how to bark. She resists learning most new skills, but after she'd been here about five years, my son was finally able to teach her to sit. She will also give me a kiss on command. 

She hasn't been the companion for Franklin that I envisioned. They don't pay much attention to each other, but they don't fight. Occasionally, one of them will stop to give the other a little kiss. The one time she was on Franklin's bed in the living room and Franklin flopped down on the bed next to her, her expression revealed her shock and dismay. 

They are a good pair, though, and I have no regrets about driving to Georgia and bringing back a very frightened Penelope. When my former neighbor saw Franklin and Penelope seated next to each other at the front door, he said they looked as if they wore matching tuxedos. 

They have very different personalities, though. Franklin will make friends with anyone who walks in our door. Penelope remains wary, but will now approach some visitors to sniff them a bit. Everything has to be on her terms, including her blog posts.

She is my Penelope, nicknamed Penny Pants. I also call her my little lady. 

I don't know what we'd do without her.


Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug








29 comments:

  1. Many people don’t appreciate how much time and patience it can take for a new pet to adapt. Penelope is very lucky (and adorable). As for naming her, I thought it was for Penelope Pitstop of the Wacky Racers -- because you had to make a pit stop on your way home with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea what Wacky Racers are but Penelope Pitstop sounds funny so it might become one of her nicknames!

      Delete
    2. One of The Kid Brother’s favorite cartoon shows. Dick Dastardly and Muttley were his absolute favorite characters — and I was required to regularly imitate Muttley (and still do to this day).

      Delete
    3. I have to Google Muttley so I can imagine your imitation.

      Delete
  2. Well done Janie ... Penelope is one lucky dog. All the best for the rest of dogtoberfest .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's beautiful and they do look like they're kinfolk! Bless that woman in GA for setting up a shelter and bless you for never giving up on Penelope! This encourages me that our latest two will eventually fit in our pack like I want them to. Patience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm amazed that someone would work so hard to set up a shelter on her own property. I'm eternally grateful to her.

      Delete
  4. Sweet Penelope! I wonder if she likes Claxton fruitcakes? I loved them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness! You've actually had Claxton fruitcake? That's amazing!

      Delete
  5. Precious girl! ♥ Penelope has the perfect loving and patient mom. She is aptly named. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful post about a beautiful girl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Her in that sweater might be the cutest thing I saw all day!!!! She looks like a little stuffed sausage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't show her your comment. She might be offended by the idea of looking like a stuffed sausage! I love getting sweaters and jammies for her.

      Delete
  8. I do remember Penelope being totally terrified and that she'd never lived in a house before, right? All dogs are so totally different, too--just like cats. She is sweet to you and a treasure. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She had definitely only lived outside at Cynthia's shelter. I know she'd been inside a building at least once--when she went to the vet to be spayed and get shots. That was probably it. Now she's completely comfortable in the house.

      Delete
  9. Thank you for sharing her story. Penelope is a sweetheart. I am glad she is getting less shy with strangers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If newcomers ignore her, she will go up behind them to give them a little sniff. She especially liked the chimney sweep who was in the house earlier this year.

      Delete
  10. Oh, Janie, she is a sweetie and so are you! I'm so glad you found each other, and she is safe and loved. Some people would have given up on her! Thank you for sharing this heartwarming story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sweet. I'm glad you made a home for her.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh bless her, what a sweetheart. She must have had a hard life even in the shelter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it was rough, but I'm grateful to Cynthia for saving the lives of so many animals.

      Delete
  13. Hope all is well.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Here's hoping you, Penny and Franklin have had the best day ever.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a lovely day, thank you. The weather is beautiful.

      Delete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.