Monday, February 15, 2021

A POEM FOR THE DAY AFTER VALENTINE'S DAY

 Arachne's Song


I spin my web around and round,
Its silken threads securely bound.
Athena's gift, not meant as a blessing,
Has helped me to better my sweet caressing.
I use my punishment extremely well
To pull you into a delicate cell.
My weaving more wondrous than ever before
Mystifies men, so they call me whore.
Use whatever name you like,
I'll take off your head with a single bite.
But first my poison your struggling ends,
Numbness sets in, then to Hades you wend.
My pleasure leads to your deadly sleep,
Revenge for Leda, Philomela, and all who weep.
Come, Hermes, now ferry this one away,
I have performed my task for one more day.
Tomorrow I'll spin around and round
To bind another who'll never be found.
My web I'll spin to seize his heart,
And then my loving I'll impart.

21 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn girl...you write poetry so well! And I love Greek Mythology ...and you took the two together...your good ma'dear. I loved your poem entry over at Robyns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've based quite a few poems on Greek Mythology--one of my favorite college classes.

      Delete
  3. Excellent - both the poem and the punishment. I do hope the poison is not painless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOOH, now I get why spiders are scary. I won't think of them as cute for a while :0

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the mixture of poetry and mythology! And your Black Widow strikes fear in all of us arachnophobes. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie. I hate spiders. I always find lots of webs in my garage, but I seldom have a spider in the house.

      Delete
  6. Sinister and so creative. Love it when you share your verse.

    Love,
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this. So well said, and good to remind others, with bad intentions, to avoid your web😁

    ReplyDelete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.