Wednesday, July 31, 2013

BOOK NOOK: HOT FLASHES & COLD LEMONADE

Dear Pearl,

I've never written a letter to a character in a book before, but I feel as if I know you after reading about you and your family and your friends in Hot Flashes & Cold Lemonade, which I purchased from Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/Flashes-Lemonade-Susan-Flett-Swiderski/dp/148489071X.



Your creator, Susan Flett Swiderski, said in an interview on my blog (click HERE to read the interview) that you are an Everywoman. She's absolutely right. I can really relate to you.

Menopause and I are close personal friends, so I get how you're feeling. I know you love your husband, George, but he can be kind of an annoying goofus. You love your kids, too. They're less that perfect, especially that selfish one who needs his butt kicked, but you love unconditionally, Pearl. It's difficult for you to say no. You're good to your friends, but you have your share of trials and tribulations with some of them. 

Pearl, I really love it that you're so funny. You make me laugh, and I value that in a friend. It's great that you're a member of my Frequent Farters Club:

[Pearl's] stomach rumbled an ominous warning. She shifted in her seat, studied her bulletin, and hoped it was a false alarm.

It wasn't. Her internal gas pressure was definitely on the rise. Something had to give, and soon. She glanced around her, and took stock of the situation.

With a blank expression on her face, she looked back at her bulletin and gently released some of the gas, oh so carefully, slowly and silently.

A six-year-old boy sitting behind her promptly announced, "Ewww! Somebody FARTED!"

Oh, my goodness, Pearl. Been there, done that. How many times have I sat in church with my cheeks clenched trying not to let loose a stinker?

Pearl, I can see that you're going through a coming of age thing, but not in the sense of a typical bildungsroman. Your life is changing, and you're coming of age because you know you've . . . I can't say it, Pearl. I'd be giving away too much, and I want people to buy Hot Flashes & Cold Lemonade and enjoy it.

Your creator, Susan, reminds me of one of my favorite authors, and a favorite of hers – Anne Tyler. This book has a little drama, a little humor, and a whole lotta quirkiness. 

And quirkiness is what it's really all about, Pearl. You have The Janie Junebug Highest Seal of Approval.


Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug


P.S. To read a synopsis of Hot Flashes & Cold Lemonade, click HERE. To purchase Hot Flashes & Cold Lemonade, which I highly recommend you do, please visit Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/Flashes-Lemonade-Susan-Flett-Swiderski/dp/148489071X.



23 comments:

  1. Bought it...haven't started it yet...but can't wait to read about the Fart Club. I'll fit right in.

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Fart Club is my invention, but you and Pearl would fit right in.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Awesome review, Janie. Thanks you so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I live to serve the reading and movie watching public.

      Delete
  3. Silent but deadly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bought it yesterday--going to try to get to it today!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, gosh, I laughed right out loud, right here in the library. I'm getting dirty looks, but it was worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I might be drummed out of my Man Club if I got caught reading this one. And I had to bribe them to let me into the Man's Club in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might relate to Pearl's husband, George.

      Delete
  7. Okay, this is another book for my list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a good one! I'm was close friends with menopause, too. We seem to have reached a parting of the ways, though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could part with menopause. She keeps returning to me to make me insane.

      Delete
  9. I've just finished reading Hot Flashes and Cold Lemonade. I found it a good enough read, easy to read, well written, but was bothered by so many mini dramas occurring all on top of each other, one after another with no breathing space as it were. Usually when I finish a book, I wish it had a few more chapters, but this one I was glad to finish. I look forward to Susan's next book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved everything that was going on, so I respectfully disagree with you. I wanted the book to continue, though I liked the conclusion.

      Delete
    2. I agree, the conclusion was lovely. A few more chapters to "break up" the mini dramas might have helped.

      Delete
  10. Congrats, Susan and Janie, thanks for a creative review. I'll bookmark this page so that I'll buy the book when I have some time to get away from academic work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great review, a letter to the heroine! Susan is one cool lady and I'm sure the book is a lot of fun. It's on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Janie and Susan .. I've bought Hot Flashes and Cold Lemonade .. how could I resist a title like that ..

    Love the approach to the interview ... a letter to the character ...

    Cheers to you both .. and Janie I hope the cobwebs are being sorted .. see you soon - Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.