Wednesday, July 27, 2011

MEMENTO MORI

It was one year ago, during the afternoon, that you were forced to leave me forever.

It was the day after your thirteenth birthday.

It was your legs.

You fell and you fell

down
down
down

into a deep black hole.

You couldn't climb out.

Not ever again.

And I thought that I would die.

Instead, every day I have to wake up and live without you.

It's not as hard as it was at first.

But it's still not easy.

After you died, I found a tuft of your soft, white fur on the dog bed where you had to sleep because you couldn't get in my bed anymore. I snatched it up and felt its sweetness against my cheek and I put it in an envelope. Then I searched for more tufts of fur that were white, and the fur of other colors, that tended to fall out more as individual hairs that would then gather on the floor. And I filled the envelope with those bits of you that were left.

The fur is my memento mori, all that I have left now, except for your collar, hanging in the dining room with the tags intact, your name tag in the shape of a heart because you are my heart. You are everything that is the best of me.

I will love you every single day for the rest of my life until we can be together again.

My Faulkner, My Beauty. Teller of all I needed to know.

Wait for me, please.


It was the night after he died that I met my beloved LegalMist. You can also meet her at this link:        http://legalmist.blogspot.com/2011/07/gikc-1924-2011.html   God sends help in some form when we are most in need and that night he made LegalMist my angel. She discovered my blog that night and was writing comments on some posts. She had no idea that I was getting through the night by reading her comments on my cell phone, until I wrote back to her in the wee hours of the morning and told her what had happened. LegalMist may live very far away from me, but she is my home girl.

5 comments:

  1. What a sad but beautiful story. Was that a smooth collie? Blue merle? Just so sad when pets leave us but you gained another. My collie was in mourning for my late hubby after he died for awhile. He just moped around the house because Rich was home with him 24/7. So dogs mourn for people just as much! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so very much Barb. Yes, he was a smooth blue merle. I adore the dogs I have, but there will never be another Faulkner (registered name Faulkner of Sound and Fury because The Sound and The Fury is one of my favorite novels and because of the quotation from the Scottish play: "Life is a tale told by an idiot full of sound and fury and signifying nothing." Faulkner was no idiot but his bark was full of sound and fury yet signified nothing because he was so very gentle).

    Love,
    Lola

    ReplyDelete
  3. aw pobre perro! Faulkner was a sweetheart; I'm very glad to have met him and I carry my own memories of him with me. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. mlesmiles,

    I'm not sure from your name if you actually met Faulkner or if you mean that you met him through my posts. I hope you visit again y much gracias.

    Te amo,
    Lola

    ReplyDelete
  5. mlesmiles, I get the feeling you are my darling Schmemily. Es correcto?

    Love,
    Lola

    ReplyDelete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.