Monday, October 8, 2012

PREGGERS WHAT? MONDAY

Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

I watched the second episode of Call The Midwife and it has me wondering about your unusual, funny, or interesting stories regarding pregnancy and childbirth.


I knew a young woman whose baby was delivered at home by a midwife. She told me that three hours after she gave birth she was up and washing the bloody sheets. I was rather surprised the midwife didn't clean up and give her after-the-baby is born care, but she was on her own. I don't know how she did it. I could barely walk for a few hours after my children arrived.

I also know a woman who had an underwater birth. Her head was above the water, of course, but the baby was born underwater. I'm not sure how that works, but she said it was a very calm and easy way to give birth.

I didn't use any drugs during childbirth. I didn't want my kids to be born with medications in their systems, but when I mention this to other women, they usually say, Oh, I could never do that.

I don't think I'm that much tougher than anyone else, but I do seem to have a somewhat higher threshold of pain.

When Favorite Young Man was ready to enter the big wide world, the doctor had not yet arrived at the hospital. His head was protruding from my vagina (I said vagina especially for Sandra), and the nurses didn't want to deliver a baby so they pushed him back inside me! All that work I'd already done, and pop! he just went back in.

When I had The Hurricane we told the nurses what had happened with FYM. They were shocked and said, That would never happen here!

Anyway, these anecdotes lead to our What? Monday question, which is the following: Do you have any interesting or unusual stories to tell about your pregnancies or giving birth?

Of course, gentlemen are also welcome to participate. When my dad took my mom to the hospital for the birth of their first child, the nurse started asking him question for the paperwork she needed to fill out. She asked my dad what his wife's name was. He look at my mom and said, What IS your name?

Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug

22 comments:

  1. I was there when both of ours were born. Saying any more than that would be "telling tales out of school," so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently bears know how to maintain the privacy of Mrs. Bear.

      Delete
  2. My son was almost 2 weeks overdue, but he didn't want the doctor to induce my labor. He decided to to vacate my womb a few hours before being forced to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a similar experience with my 2nd as well. The doc made it Just in time... so we named him Justin. LOL With him, no time for meds. 1 begged.. but they said sorry, you're too far along. Then before I knew it there he was.
    My first was 4 1/2 hours. The last, and the only girl was an over-nighter. And yes, she was the more difficult of the three in life as well.. haha. I love them all though.

    Great post! Very interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oldest was 32 hours of labor. They finally gave me the epidural because they were afraid when the time came I wouldn't be able to push. I pushed for 3.5 hours, (I'll spare you the really gross stuff) and bruised his head with my pelvis, which he was in fact stuck in.

    Youngest was 27 hours, I labored a large chunk of which in the hot tub which was fabulous. Not progressing, they broke my water, which landed him on his cord, so they had to do an amniotic-infusion to float him back up. Then the monitor they stuck in his head didn't work... five monitors later they found one that did. He was critical twice and had to stop my labor, and as soon as I was wheeled into the c-section room, he started behaving. All and all... he was born natural, and has been paying me back ever since.

    The doctor said that if I wanted any more I should plan on a c-section since while I can carry babies beautifully, delivery is a nightmare. Now the only way I'd do it again is as a surrogate for my sister, but she already has two so it looks like I'm off the hook. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very grateful you don't have to be a surrogate. You've been through enough.

      Delete
  5. I had very quick deliveries. I had been anesthetized, but a nurse told me later that the doctor asked her if she had ever seen one of my babies being born. She said, "No," & the doctor made a sweeping motion with his hand & said, "Stand back--swoosh!!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister had swoosh babies, too. She had difficulty getting to the hospital in time.

      Delete
  6. Wow, pushed back in. That lady (picture above) looks ready to pop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all look ready to pop when we get to about the eighth month.

      Delete
  7. Such an interesting topic! I'd be wondering what kind of pregnancy experiences men have had. LOL! My first daughter was delivered naturally, without any kind of pain medication. Big ouch! I had an epidural for the second, which was a good thing, because that broad shouldered boy got stuck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. X's pregnancy experience when The Hurricane was born consisted of me pulling his thumb out of joint.

      Delete
  8. "I also know a woman who had an underwater birth. Her head was above the water, of course, but the baby was born underwater. I'm not sure how that works, but she said it was a very calm and easy way to give birth." I don't either but I bet it hurt like hell getting all that scuba gear stuffed in there and put on the baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I didn't think of that. It must have been a bitch.

      Delete
  9. Back in 1963 my dad followed the wrong woman outta the delivery room. My mom was somewhat less than thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was probably in a fog after everything that had just happened.

      Delete
  10. Don't envy y'all at ALL, but thankfully y'all are willing to do the HARD work to birth a child. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. With my son I woke up and informed my husband that I had to go to the hospital. Wasn't in labor, just was compelled to go...period. An hours drive in heavy traffic...long story short--went into labor shortly after I got there, 45 minutes later (doctor just made it in time) Dagan was born. The cord was wrapped so tightly around his neck that he was being choked (doctor had to cut the cord from around his neck in order for him to be able to be born) and would have suffocated had we been in the car en route to the hospital. He has always had angels watching over him. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.