Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,
It rained all day Tuesday. Non-stop. Princess demonstrated great bravery by running right out for potty breaks. Penelope used to be the brave one, while Princess preferred not to have her perfect fur dampened. Then I remembered Princess took Penelope's place as
Protector and Comandor
so it made sense that Princess took the lead on going out.
Alice declined to join her best friend. After a while her eyeballs turned yellow and she had her legs crossed so tight I didn't think she'd be able to uncross them. About 10 p.m. the rain stopped for 15 minutes and with a lot of encouragement, Alice followed Princess into the rising waters.
If you've known me very long, then you know what happens to my back yard when we have serious rain. Lake Junebug is full. Here's what it looked like Wednesday morning.
So I figured I'd better go out to hook up the pump and send some of that water out to the street. I haven't needed to use the pump in at least a year so I had to get it out, clean off the cover, untangle the hose, untangle the extension cord, get everything in the right spot, and on and on and on. I was out there wading around for a little more than an hour. The girls had to stay inside because the gate was open.
Finally, everything was done and water was running out of the hose at the end of the driveway. I headed for the door, happy I could take off my wet sandals and slide my tired feet into the fuzzy purple slippers that waited for me in the laundry toom. Yeah, those nice, comfy slippers that were between the washing machine and the dryer. Where I left them, right?
Except they weren't there.
No problem. I also had some blue slippers nearby.
Blue slippers? Only one was there.
I walked into the kitchen and found one of the purple slippers.
Yup. There it was. Upside down in the doggy water bowl.
What the hell? I said.
Princess went one way, and Alice went the other way.
I put on the single blue slipper and headed to the family room, where I found the other purple slipper on the couch, sopping wet. It must have taken a bath in a doggy water bowl, too.
The mystery of the missing blue slipper remained. I found it later when I went in the bathroom.
It was in the toilet.
Charges have been brought against two dogs who were previously named as persons of interest in the case.
PRINCESS –– LEADER OF THE PACK. Charge 1. Engaging in Major Shenanigans, including the theft of 3 slippers. Charge 2. Impersonating a well-behaved dog who graduated from an expensive training school. Charge 3. Laughing at Mommy when she found a slipper in the toilet.
ALICE –– MEMBER OF THE PACK. Charge 1. Aiding and abetting Major Shenanigans. Charge 2. Impersonating a dog too frightened to engage in bad behavior. Charge 3. Hasn't stopped snickering at Mommy since Mommy stomped into the family room wearing one blue slipper.
Trial scheduled to commence October 20. Snowbird Gramma scheduled to return October 16. Devils in fur coats will be found innocent before trial begins.
Infinities of love,
Janie Junebug
This post is my last for this week. See you Monday.
Haha! Crazy dogs with their crazy shenanigans! :)
ReplyDeleteWhat would I do without them?
DeleteIt's a Slipper Conspiracy!
ReplyDeletexoxo
I wonder what they'll come up with next.
DeleteTwo guilty mugshots, clear as day! Snowbird Gramma is clearly Soft On Crime.
ReplyDeleteGramma says her grandbabies are perfect.
DeleteJanie, thanks for the chuckle this morning. The trial part really made me smile! Wow, Lake Junebug is sure something!
ReplyDeleteIt's Friday at 6:30 p.m. and the pump is still hard at work. We're supposed to have thunderstorms starting about 8.
DeleteThat's a LOT of water! They both look extremely guilty although we shouldn't judge by appearance. My cat doesn't bother my clothing but does drag my bag of white cheddar popcorn down from the counter to snack on it.
ReplyDeleteNaughty Mari, the popcorn thief. The girls usually don't mess with my things. When I adopted Princess 3 1/2 years ago, she was a wild child who stole anything she could reach in the kitchen. If she had known how to open Tupperware containers, she would have gained 100 lbs.
DeleteNot guilty due to extenuating factors: cuteness and cleverness in attempting to hide evidence.
ReplyDeleteThe girls are a hoot. They keep me laughing all the time.
DeleteOh, Princess and Alice! 😂. You have such a good attitude about it all, Janie. I think it's better to laugh than cry. Wishing you dry weather and warm slippers.
ReplyDeleteI can't ever be upset with the girls. They are adorable and so loving and devoted.
DeleteFunny! And of course they should let you know who really is in charge. That would not be you!
ReplyDeleteI've never been foolish enough to think I'm in charge, Anne.
DeleteThat is too funny, about the slippers! 😆 Sounds like Princess and Alice are co-conspirators. You're in trouble now, Janie! 😆
ReplyDeleteAlice has made progress, but she's still frightened. Her close friendship with Princess is good for her. Princess is protective of Alice, as she was with Penelope.
DeleteLOL- I have 3 pups and Scruffy (AKA-Satan in a dog suit) leads the pack in all sorts of mischief. His favorite 'trick' is 'trade for a treat'..which he learned thru my stupidity thinking it was cute. Whatever he takes he will hide or "clamp onto" until I tell him trade for a treat. Whereupon, he immediately drops whatever it is in exchange for a treat. However, don't be slow on the retrieval or you will have to 'pay out' a second treat when he reclaims the item you just paid for. Thing 2 watches and Thing 3 is now learning from Satan--er---Scruffy.
ReplyDeleteHappy weekend, my barefoot friend- xo Diana
What a funny trick. However, I have seen photos of Scruffy on your blog and he is much too cute to be known as Satan in a dog suit. Your barefoot friend accuses you of fibbing about your perfect dog.
DeleteLMAOROTF, sorry, your Slippers must have needed Washing perhaps and they had the best of intentions... and do they have adequate Defense Counsel? *Winks* We've been getting so much Rain too it looks like we've had Irrigation!
ReplyDeleteThe dogs won't need any defense counsel when Gramma arrives to pardon them. We can't have just the right amount of rain, can we? Same as we can't have just the right government.
Delete