Monday, February 2, 2015

A NEW BOOK FOR THE SPECIAL SHELF

Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

Did you survive last night's Stupor Bowl? It's not something I watch.

However, I have a new book for my special shelf that houses first editions and/or autographed books. I'm now the happy owner of Labor Day by Joyce Maynard:


Here's the autograph:



It says

for Janie
with undying faith in the
power of love. And with
friendship

Then she signed her name and drew a little sketch of a woman.

I've read two books by Joyce Maynard: To Die For is loosely based on the Pamela Smart case and was made into a movie starring Nicole Kidman; and At Home In The World, Joyce's memoir.

I watched the movie of Labor Day, which stars Kate Winslet and Josh Brolin. To read my review of the film, click HERE. The movie made me want to read the book.

I didn't obtain this book with the lovely inscription at a signing. Instead, for some reason I can't remember, I looked up Joyce Maynard's Facebook page not long ago. I thought, What the hell?, and sent her a Friend request. She accepted it. I don't know why.

Then I saw a Facebook post from Joyce about Guatemala, where she visits often and has a home. On Christmas Day, 2001, she met a five-year-old named Rosa. Joyce and Rosa became fast friends. Rosa was serious about going to school and studying, but she was the youngest child in a very poor family. Joyce helped fund Rosa's education.

Two years ago, Rosa enrolled in a pre-med program. She has one year left. The people who helped with most of her expenses are not able to do so this year, and Joyce can't take on the total cost herself. She turned to her Facebook friends for help, and offered the gift of a book for a certain level of donation. I give to one charity or more every month. I felt delighted to help Rosa and receive an autographed book.

I had a lovely exchange with Joyce on Facebook, promised that Labor Day would cuddle up to my autographed book of Robert Frost's poems, and made my donation at http://miraclesinaction.org, specifying that the gift was for Joyce Maynard's Rosa fund. I received Labor Day shortly thereafter.

Joyce announced on January 27th that the "Rosa fund" has raised $10,000. 

If you like, you can help Rosa, or assist with other needs in Guatemala, through Miracles In Action at http://miraclesinaction.org. You can read Joyce's post about Rosa at http://goo.gl/e1FMJl.

It feels so good to help.


Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug

P.S. I won't post on my blog for a couple of days, and I apologize, but my visits to your blogs will be limited. I must spend more time editing.



21 comments:

  1. Such a nice gift you gave. Enjoy the book, happy editing, and we'll see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joyce Maynard's memoir is on my "to read" list, not only because of her relationship with Salinger but because, quite apart from that, she and her family are very well known here in Canada. I've already read her sister Rona Maynard's autobiography. Their mother Fredelle wrote a classic of Canadian literature called "Raisins and Almonds" about her Jewish immigrant experience, which I read as a teenager.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not watch sports, either.
    Great autograph! I have never seen one with a drawing! Cool! And a good cause, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like such a great cause. Joyce Maynard sounds like a wonderful person. I would cuddle up to that autographed book too. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is awesome of her and you to do. I am so happy that there are still people inspired to donate to charity, as my livelihood depends on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am enormously proud of you, Janie Junebug. It is quite an honor for you to have received this autographed book from an author of Joyce Maynard's stature. At the same time, I want you to realize that you are one of the top movers and shakers in blogdom, that your reputation precedes you and that Joyce is lucky to have you as a friend.

    Who in the hell d'you think you are
    A super star
    Well, right you are

    Well we all shine on
    Like the moon and the stars and the sun

    The ongoing story of Rosa, the Guatemalan girl, demonstrates the untapped potential that is within all of us and the power we all have to transform lives through imagination and generosity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a treat to have a signed copy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a nice addition to your collection of books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A fine charity, I'm sure, and I know you'll treasure that signed book.

    We did not watch the game. Football isn't really my thing anymore. All the Patriot fans I know are going to be insufferable now, too...

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is inspiring, see what I mean? You are inspirational. Funneling money to a worthwhile cause is always a win-win activity. I'm going to check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm putting Joyce's book on my reading list, along with a few others you have recommended. Must get to Barnes and Noble!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was so kind of the author all the way around and wonderful that you helped fund her education. You get an A+.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful way to pay it forward- I will be visiting that link. You have a heart of gold, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. An autograph AND a doodle? And for a great cause? That's just fantastic all around. Enjoy the necessary evil - the written root canal, if you will - that is editing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a beautiful gift you received and your friend who helped the little girl should also be proud

    ReplyDelete
  16. It sounds like Rosa's program is a good one.

    I like the sketch and sentiments Joyce sent you. She sounds like a nice lady.

    ReplyDelete
  17. J.M. is not an author well-known over here. Maybe it’s time this was changed.

    I agree, doing something to help others is a good thing. An added bonus is that it makes the giver feel good too. Enjoy your book.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I liked the movie Labor Day. That is cool that the author went to the trouble.

    I watched approximately 18 seconds of that game.

    ReplyDelete
  19. She's a clever cartoonist too. It makes the world smaller to befriend authors, and their friends like Rosa. That's a sweet cycle of events.

    I didn't watch the game. I thought the Seahawks won. But the Packers took the victory. Or did they? I'm still not quite sure.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You can see the love she poured into that autograph. It great to see someone who cares so much.

    I tried to donate $30, but it converted my currency to USD, so it ended up being $40 :P

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow a picture on the signature too. Very nice. Look at all little Rosa has accomplished! So wonderful that someone like Joyce came along to give that brilliant girl the opportunities she otherwise wouldn't have had.

    ReplyDelete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.