Thursday, January 5, 2012

NOT HAVIN' SUCH A GOOD DAY

 Dear Hearts and Gentle People,

I'm sorry, but you're still not going to learn today why I killed Lola. It's not as if anyone is begging to find out anyway.

I'm not up to writing about that wench tonight.

I usually don't eat bacon, but today I decided to fix some to put in an omelet. Apparently,  someone set the temperature too high under the pan, and within minutes the house was full of smoke. I put the pan in the sink -- grateful I hadn't started a fire -- turned on the exhaust fan, and opened the back door. The dogs were out and Franklin would not come in because the smoke was so thick.

And yesterday I discovered a leak in a bag of frozen fruit that I was thawing out in the refrigerator. Sticky fruit juice had run down the back of the refrigerator and onto the produce drawers. I took out the produce drawers and cleaned them, and then I cleaned the interior of the refrigerator. I decided to let everything dry overnight.

So I went to put the drawers back in and discovered that their glass-covered tops were not attached to their frames. They were taped together. I could see it was time for new tape, so I used packing tape on the first one and placed in in the refrigerator. All well and good.

Then I picked up the second top and it slipped out of my hands and shattered like my heart, Blondie.



Glass everywhere. All over the counter, in the sink, on the floor. It was the most broken glass I'd seen since I was in high school and students from our rival school threw water balloons at my car while they were speeding and I was in motion, but not speeding (it's true; I wasn't). You might not think water balloons could do much damage, but when vehicles are in motion, it adds to the force of the impact.

My windshield shattered, but fortunately it didn't fall in on me completely.

I felt pretty weepy after I broke the glass. I called my son and he came right over to help me. I know I'll probably find some small fragments of glass for the next few days, but I think we got most of it. Beloved Son also found the replacement cover and helped me order it. He was so kind.

I'm also feeling pretty sad right now because I just read Ed Pilolla's post. As with everything Ed writes, it's open and honest and well done. Ed opened up about the time he spent working in a kennel when he was young. He owns up to what he did wrong and takes responsibility for it. He also taught me something I didn't know and reminded me of something I already knew.

Dogs should always be euthanized in a vein in the front leg. Don't ever let a vet get away with telling you that another method is all right. A shot in or near the heart is not even acceptable. I've had two dogs euthanized and I'm grateful that the vets used the vein in the front leg. Both dogs had peaceful deaths. I hope I go that easily.

The reminder -- at least to me, you might feel differently -- was to never board my dogs in a kennel. Not ever. No matter what.

To top off the day, I have a friend who is sad, and I can't help.

Let's pray for a better day tomorrow. I'm continuing to invite people to follow this new blog, and you're gradually trickling in. I'm grateful to have you.

Infinities of love,

Janie

4 comments:

  1. We all have days like that. Knowing that doesn't make it any easier on you, but we do understand. If I was close by I would come over and give you some just to make your day. (Okay, it would make mine, but whose counting)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't finish Ed's post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you had a bad day, sweetie. I've been there.
    Here's hoping tomorrow will be better.
    xoxo Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coffey, You probably would make my day and yours. Uh, you do mean giving me a hug, right?

    Joshua, I understand. I don't know if I'll be able to handle his complete article when it's finished.

    Jane, Thank you. I'll live. As Scarlet O'Hara says, Tomorrow is another day. Or she says something like that. I haven't seen the movie lately and my memory is, uh, I don't know what I wanted to say.

    ReplyDelete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.