Tuesday, March 26, 2013

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FYM!

Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

Favorite Young Man doesn't read my blog, but I'm going to wish him a happy birthday here anyway, because it gives me a chance to brag about him.

I could tell you how high his SAT scores were, or I could tell you how hard he works; but I'd rather tell you how kind hearted he is.

He was and is a very good athlete. At the end of one baseball season when he was in elementary school, the coaches gave trophies to the kid who had the most home runs or was the best at this or that. After they gave out the trophies, one of the coaches told Dr. X in private that FYM had actually won every award, so they gave him the trophy they considered the most prestigious and the other trophies went to the kids in second place. I was glad they spread the awards around.

The following summer I was splashing in the public pool with The Hurricane, when a woman approached me and asked, Aren't you Favorite Young Man's mom?

Yes, I answered.

Well, she said, my son played baseball for the first time this spring and I can't begin to tell you how kind Favorite Young Man was to my son. He helped him learn to play and really encouraged him. He's a great kid.

I felt very grateful that she took the time to tell me about FYM.

FYM became a lifeguard when he was in high school. He worked at the lake in a state park. On the last day the lake was open for public swimming -- Labor Day, and of course it was crowded -- FYM came home without a shirt. All summer he had spent time with a young man who was developmentally disabled and had a job in the park. FYM talked to him and played catch with him. The young man often said he wished he had a lifeguard's shirt. So, on that last day, when work was over, FYM took off his shirt and gave it to the young man.

Yes, he's literally someone who would give you the shirt off his back.

Incidentally, that same day FYM saved a child from drowning. From his seat in the lifeguard's chair, FYM saw the little boy fall, but then get back up, coughing. FYM kept an eye on the boy, whose parents were nowhere in sight. The child fell again, and he didn't get up. FYM pulled the boy out, performed CPR, and radioed a park ranger for help. The parents showed up, and the boy was medivacked out to a children's hospital. He lived because FYM took his job seriously -- even though he had to contend with teenage girls who camped out around his chair and greeted his arrivals and departures with Hi, Cute Lifeguard, and Bye, Cute Lifeguard.

The baby he's holding in this picture is not his, though I wish I had a grandchild.


This little girl is AR, daughter of FYM's friends, RL and LL. LL told me that after AR was born, FYM came to visit her in the hospital. The baby was fussy and LL was so tired. She really needed a nap. FYM took the baby from her and comforted her. LL fell asleep, and when she awoke, FYM was still sitting next to her bed, holding her new baby.

AR is quite the young lady now, but when she started talking, one of her favorite questions was, Where's FYM?

I've often asked that question myself because he's been so busy for so long, playing his trombone during high school in every sort of band -- including a punk ska band called The 13th Tribe -- playing sports, working, being a great big brother to The Hurricane, helping friends who move, babysitting . . . the list goes on and on.

He's done so much for me, and like the lady who came up to me at the pool, I can't begin to tell you how kind Favorite Young Man is.

Thanks for letting me try.

Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug

24 comments:

  1. Awww, I love this!!! Happy birthday to him, and may he have many, many years of happiness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shelly. I guess I'll have to go to his Facebook page to wish him a happy birthday.

      Love,
      Janie

      Delete
  2. A wonderful tribute for FYM. I hope he has a very happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I just texted him. His dog is here and he wanted to know if she's all right.

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday to your son, what a great guy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Inger. I'll tell him that the blogosphere likes him.

      Delete
  4. Knowing his mommy, I am not surprised that Favorite Young Man is such an amazing individual...he has awesome roots :) He just melts my heart. You have every right to be proud of that guy!

    Happy Birthday to FYM and congrats to his lovely mother :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very sweet, but I don't think I can take much credit for the finished product. He is his own man.

      Delete
  5. Aw, how very sweet. He's obviously given you a lot to make you proud, but you know what they say: an apple doesn't fall far from the tree. He didn't become so kind and caring by living in a vacuum. You done good, kiddo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAPPY BIRTHDAY to someone who is now one of my Favorite Young Men!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Except for his outstanding ability in sports, his compassion towards others, the love he has for his family and his willingness to help others with whatever, he could be my son. But only if he says ‘Fuck’ a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He drops the f-bomb frequently. He learned it from me.

      Delete
  8. Happy Birthday, Favorite Young Man! I thought your mom was going to reveal her grandmahood.

    ReplyDelete
  9. FYM sounds awesome! I'm sure he's that way because you are such a wonderful mom! Kudos to you and your son!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a very touching post. You've raised him well. Birthday wishes to him!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The ONE THING that the 'bastard you divorced' did good.

    Maybe you had a little something to do with it too, but give that 'bastard you divorced' a wee bit of gratitude. God knows that saint deserves all the credit. pfffft

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. X admitted to me that I raised the children and they are mine -- yet he continues to brag about them. He has no bragging rights. He was little more than a sperm donor.

      Delete
  12. Doesn't it make us feel good when someone else notices that our child is a nice kind caring person. As you know I have three daughters and I find it nice knowing that the families of the men they take up with think my girls are awesome and the best thing to happen to their son..........

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Janie .. I saw this post and had to come back to comment properly. I love how you wish FYM a happy birthday and bring back some memories ...

    I think you've done a wonderful job - and we could all learn many lessons from his kindnesses .. he sounds as though he's an amazing young man ..

    Congratulations - cheers and very Happy Easter to one and all .... Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.