Thursday, February 14, 2013

WHO'S MY SECRET VALENTINE?

Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

Happy Valentine's Day! You all are my Valentines, but that's not my secret.


Of course, I must admit that Elvis Aaron Schwarz is my extra special Valentine.

Hi! Remember me?
I'm Elvis Aaron Schwarz.
Happy Valentine's Day, Baby Doll.

Oh, that man is a sweetheart.


But I told you on Monday that this year I also have a secret Valentine and that I would announce my Valentine's identity today. So, here we go:

My Valentine is Juli from Surviving Boys

I am super proud of Juli because she has made the commitment to participate in the Susan G. Komen 3-Day, which means that she will walk twenty miles each day for three days to raise funds for breast cancer research and detection. 

The Susan G. Komen Web site states:

Seventy-five percent of the net proceeds raised by the 3-Day help fund national research and large public health outreach programs. The remaining 25 percent helps fund local community and Affiliate support and outreach programs. Virtually every major advance in the fight against breast cancer in the last 30 years has been impacted by a Komen grant. For more information about Komen, breast health or breast cancer, visit Komen.org or call 1-877 GO KOMEN.

After Juli walks her twenty miles each day, she won't check in to the Hilton to relax. She'll sleep in a tent. It's during the summer, so the weather will probably be hot; and the days will definitely be long. She's doing the walk with a friend, and they'll be with a large group of walkers. 

A big, big part of Juli's commitment is that she has to raise a minimum of $2,300 to be able to participate. My Valentine's Day gift to Juli is a $60 donation toward her goal. I gave $60 because she's going to walk 60 miles. 

I hope you'll help Juli, too. Just go to her blog at http://www.survivingboys.com/. On the right side of the blog, you'll see a large pink button. At the top, it says "Click Here So I Can Walk."

Let's all wish Juli a Happy Valentine's Day with a donation. This cause is definitely a worthy one. I don't know many people whose lives haven't been touched in some way by breast cancer. 

I remember beautiful young Page, a member of our church when we lived in Maryland. Breast cancer took her life before she was even 30 years old. She left behind a husband, a two-year-old son, and a heartbroken church family.

So Juli, I made my donation because of Page, because this is a good cause, and because I love you. Happy Valentine's Day, Juli!

Infinities of love,

Janie

31 comments:

  1. Aw, that's a great Valentine! I had a couple of friends that did the three day and they said it was amazing. It was tough, but a very moving experience. And a very worthy cause!

    Happy.Valentine's day to you and the poochies and Elvis Aaron, of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Twenty miles a day will be a hard slog. Brave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she is brave. I wouldn't make it through one day.

      Delete
  3. We made a generous donation to her some time ago in memory of my mother & my favorite aunt! WAY TO GO, JULI!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Janie .. these fundraising activities are wonderful aren't they ... we do that over here too .. for various dis-eases ...

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom was a 2x breast cancer survivor. Good on you young one. Have a happy VD.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just 20 miles in one day is quite the hike. Happy VD Janie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS quite the hike. I'm really impressed that Juli is willing to do this.

      Delete
  7. Juli is the absolute PERFECT Valentine (even though I'm not a fan of the day itself). SO proud of her!!!

    BTW, that pic of Mr. Depp is just too swoon-worthy. Sigh. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Depp? Oh, you mean Elvis Aaron Schwarz. Isn't the resemblance startling? It's so nice to receive a comment from you. I've missed you, sweet girl.

      Delete
  8. Juli is a super sweet Valentine! Go Julie!

    Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Juli is a sweet Valentine! Go Juli!

    Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You love her so much you had to say it twice, right?

      Delete
  10. Now that's a pretty terrific way to pick a Valentine. I would love to be in one of those events. Perhaps when I am retired next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are able to participate, then I hope I can donate to your fundraising effort.

      Delete
  11. Twenty miles? That's like to the moon, right? Happy Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But it's 60 miles total, so I think that will get her to Mars.

      Delete
  12. Janie... I am in tears over here. :) Thank you so much!!! Coincidentally, I waited for two weeks before I jumped in and committed to doing this, as you know, I was very afraid of not raising enough money to walk. The day I decided to just suck it up and do it, Tony's brother called an hour later and said that their Mom's breast cancer was back.

    I could not understand why I had this drive, a calling if you will to do this this year, right now. And at that moment I knew...

    Thanks you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry about Tony's mom, but you're right -- you had a calling.

      Delete
  13. 20 miles is like a full marathon! quite a dedication it is.
    hope you've a had a good v day, Janie.
    i love the Meat Loaf e-card by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Go Juli!!! What a beautiful Valentine's feature she makes. :) But thanks for not depriving us of a lil' EAS too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A day without Elvis Aaron Schwarz is like a day without sunshine.

      Delete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.