Tuesday, February 19, 2013

DOWNTON ABBEY: SEASON THREE ENDS

Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

I just finished watching the last episode of this season of Downton Abbey. Gosh, it went by quickly. It seems as if the season just started last month.

Maybe that's because the season did start last month.

The Grim Reaper certainly made his presence known during season three.

I was Lady Sybil Crawley, the youngest and most liberal of the Crawley sisters.
I married the chauffeur and died after having his baby
so I could have a career in films.

I cried many tears over Sybil's death. 

And then in the last episode SPOILER ALERT

Matthew saw his new baby son and got smacked into by a truck while he was driving merrily home. The episode ended with Matthew bleeding on the side of the road and Mary sitting in her hospital bed, holding the heir to Downton Abbey.



I was Lady Mary Crawley.
Then I married my distant cousin Matthew and became Lady Mary Crawley.
I shall never allow my beaky-nosed sister Edith to forget that
I have given birth to a male heir.

In spite of these deaths, season three had its joys. I was happy when Mr. Bates got out of prison. He and Anna are such a happy couple. 

The Dowager Countess continued to stick her nose in everyone's business, but she proved herself quite wise. She helped arrange for Ethel, the former housemaid at Downton turned prostitute for the townsmen turned cook for Mrs. Crawley, to go to work for some people who live near her son's grandparents, who have little illegitimate Charlie. Ethel will be able to see her son without anyone knowing who she was or that she'd been a hooker.

Violet also asked Dr. Clarkson to research the cause of Sybil's death. He was able to report that even if they had taken Sybil to a hospital, her chance of survival was very small indeed. This news reunited Robert and Cora.

One aspect of this season that I found quite astonishing was that when Thomas put the moves on the footman, they didn't dismiss Thomas immediately. Instead, Robert said something like, It isn't as if we haven't known all along what he is.

Lord Granthan, keeper of the flame, let a gay man get him dressed? And then when Thomas got in trouble, not only was he not dismissed -- he was promoted to under-butler!

What is the world coming to?

I think Thomas is just too interesting a character to lose.

But now, sigh with me, Downton Abbey fans, for the season is over. We must wait another year for Mary to learn she is a widow. Or perhaps the show will jump forward in time so Mary won't have to dress in black for every episode.

Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug

23 comments:

  1. This was certainly a roller coaster of a season. I'm going to miss Lady Sybil most of all. My favorite line from this season was when Isobel Crawley and the Dowager Countess were speaking, and the Dowager Countess made an uncharacteristically kind remark (well, kind for her) and Mrs. Crawley said, "Did you change your pills?"

    The look on the Dowager Countess' face will give me a smile all the way through to next season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched Downtown Abbey and Skyfall this weekend. Tom Branson and James Bond are both dreamy. That's all I have to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not into Bond, James Bond, but yeah, Tom Branson is smokin'.

      Delete
  3. Dear Janie, Matthew's death stunned me. I kept saying to the television set, "It can't be! Why'd they do that? Why?" I don't know where the plot's going now but next season--a whole year away--will probably concentrate a lot on Edith and her decision about being a mistress and on Sybil's husband, whose name I think is Tom--and his taking over the reins of the management of the estate.

    I actually felt a little angry with the actor who played Matthew that he wanted out after three years. I hope that Mary isn't allowed to revert to being the snob she's always been and that the vision Matthew had of her will help her become the person he thought she was. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's fairly common for actors who are successful on TV shows to make the leap into films when they have the opportunity, but I'm sad about losing Matthew, too. He played the part so well and brought out the good in Mary.

      Delete
  4. I love Downton Abbey and I am sad that it has ended. You gave a very good review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sad, too. It's so hard to wait for the next season and the seasons are all too brief.

      Delete
  5. Someone spoiled the season ending for us by saying they'd read the actor playing Matthew wasn't coming back, but the season finale was still satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've known about Matthew since a couple of days after the episode aired in the UK, yet I still felt the suspense as Matthew drove to his death.

      Delete
  6. I've never watched Downtown Abby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect you would like it, but I also suspect you can live without it.

      Delete
  7. I sort of feel guilty that I don't watch it as I would have had a bit of a head start over my US friend fans. I guess I'm just not a drama fan...must have enough of it in my own life ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to feel guilty, Maggie. I know lots of people who don't watch Downton -- like Elvis Aaron Schwarz -- and I still love him.

      Delete
  8. I'm so out of the loop. So many people wax poetic about this show, and we haven't watched a single episode. Same for "The Walking Dead." Oh well. Too late to worry about trying to catch up on them now.

    Oh, per the zombies, my hubby just noted... "He's prepared for them!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't even heard of The Walking Dead. But it's not too late for you and Downton Abbey. You can rent the DVDs!

      Delete
    2. It's a world-wide hit about zombies... and is filmed right here in Georgia.

      Delete
  9. I was so, so mad when they killed Matthew off, until I read an article saying that that actor, and the one who plays Sybil wanted to leave the show. But it was just so tragic! The last episode was so full of love and hope otherwise, I think that's why it was so shocking.

    Can't wait until the next season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When a show is a success, it's inevitable that some of the actors will be lost to films.

      Delete
  10. You know my thoughts on period dramas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I must be the only one who hasn't seen this. I feel left out.:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's okay, baby. You can watch the DVDs. We'll let you join the club.

      Delete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.