Sunday, March 13, 2011

THEY GO LIKE

Gentle Readers,

It's time for the grammar bitch in me to come out again.

Stop talking about one person while using "they" as a pronoun.

Example: The parent wants to prove they are the best.

Parent is singular. They is plural.

I hear this all the time, so stop it. Just stop it.

And stop using "go" or "like" to replace says.

Example: We were talking and she goes I don't know know nothing about that stupid book cuz I hate to read.
OR
               We were talking and she's like I hate people with book learnin' cuz they don't got no common sense.

I have actually heard the line about people with book learnin' don't got no common sense many times. Well, I happen to have some book learning, but I have enough sense to come in out of the rain. I have enough sense not to smoke, and I have enough sense not to go out and get drunk and get in fights -- unlike many of the people I have heard who demean book learning. I also have enough sense to love books and appreciate my education. 

Excuse me all to hell.

Infinities of love,

Lola 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.