Thursday, December 12, 2013

WIENER DOGS SEND CARDS

Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

Here's a card update: Five cards were in my PO Box yesterday. They are from Wendy in New Zealand, Brandon in SC, John of Jacksonville, Lisa of Jacksonville, and two wiener dogs who live in Jacksonville. Rusty and Izzy couldn't afford to send separate cards, so they sold their bones to a poodle and sent one together.

Thank you to everyone for helping!

Oh, and what's that? You want to know how many cards we have?

Forty-four! We passed the halfway point. Yay us!

We need 36 cards, and I know a lot of them are in the mail. If I don't get 36, I will come up with them by hook or by crook. I wonder what that saying means. Pardon me while I Google it.



From http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/by-hook-or-by-crook.html:


Meaning

By whatever means necessary - be they fair or foul.

Origin

'Hook' is a word with many meanings and as a consequence it appears in numerous English phases - 'get one's hooks into', 'hook, line and sinker', 'on/off the hook', 'sling your hook' and, most notably, 'by hook or by crook'. That last phrase is one of the holy grails of etymology; many people are sure they know the derivation but, in truth, the origin is rather obscure. We can be sure that it is a very old phrase and that it was in general use by the late 14th century.


Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug




9 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so glad it arrived in time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on reaching the halfway point for Margaret.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations--you're getting there!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to you and a lot of other great people.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the lesson! Glad you got past the 1/2 way mark.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you, Fran! If it's not here when I send the cards on the 20th, I'll send the extras as soon as I have them. I WILL have 80 cards. I WILL IWILLIWILL

      Delete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.