Tuesday, December 9, 2014

A VISIT TO AMELIA ISLAND: PRIMERA PARTE

Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

Carol and I spent Saturday enjoying the Eighth Annual Amelia Island Museum of History Holiday Home Tour. We were allowed to tour all or part of five beautiful homes in Fernandina's Historic District. Each had been decorated for Christmas by a different florist on the island.

Here's Carol at the beginning of the tour:




Here's Carol at the end of the tour:


Here I am in front of one of the houses at the beginning of the tour:



Here I am at the end of the tour:


Gawd, I am beautiful. Sorry, Carol.

The day began with a heavy fog, but as we toured, the sun came out. The temperature was in the low eighties.

I hope that tomorrow I'll have time to tell you a bit about the houses, but we have to start with the really important part of the day. We met three puppies who are in training to be service dogs. I didn't take photos of them because it might have distracted them. They were so good in spite of everything around them. Two were Golden Retrievers who will help autistic children.

As we admired the puppies in training, along came the Parade of Paws, which consisted of about forty dogs in Christmas attire who hauled along their people in a fundraiser for the Nassau County Humane Society. We were in the right place at the right time. The dogs were a hoot, and they all looked so happy to show off their wags.







The tour included free trolleys to take us from one house to the next, but they weren't around much. Most of the time we walked. Carol and I began the tour at about ten and finished at three-thirty. Carol had already picked out a lunch spot, and this is what we looked like before we headed home to Jacksonville:


I'm not sure which of us is which, but this is another shot of us:



Now, sadly, I must scold you. More of you need to sign up for the Favorite Christmas Memories Bloghop that Cherdo and I will host on Monday, December 22nd. I'm not interested in excuses. Get your rears in gear.


Sign up below the spot where you accept my infinities of love.


Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug


33 comments:

  1. I just checked and I don't think my rear has a gear. I keep pulling on something but nothing happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I've already linked up! (Farm Christmas)...you girls look exhausted (at least the pictures you posted look like you were exhausted). I was awake half of the night trying to get my file cabinet in my brain to remember Christmases from the past!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can't think of a Christmas memory, then make up one. You are a writer, remember?

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a fun day, no matter how you looked at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very funny post, JJ! Especially the "Gawd, I'm beautiful bit!" I'm making no promises about the blog hop. We'll see how it goes. I really liked your Pearl Harbor post. It's important to remember our past and the sacrifices that others have made for us. Have a good evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks re: the Pearl Harbor post. Sometimes I have to admire myself in case no one else does. I hope you decide to join us for the bloghop.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Then you should join us. Maybe you can write about a Christmas Eve photo shoot with the girls.

      Delete
  6. I would have recognize those pictures of you anywhere...you radiate beauty and make all others jealous. So, there's that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Cherdo amour, keep it up and you'll be in the will.

      Delete
    2. I'm getting closer....ahhhhhh....

      Delete
  7. I'm thinking, I'm thinking. I'm especially thinking Mark Twain said nothing can improve a story like the omission of facts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Mark Twain. I avoid the truth as often as possible.

      Delete
  8. Janie, your are forever beautiful. Keep having fun. I had a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too funny:) Anxious to see the houses. I love service dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Service dogs amaze me with their intelligence and devotion. But Franklin also amazes me with his intelligence and devotion.

      Delete
  10. Fun times! My Rare One and I once did a tour of backyard water features. It was exhausting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By backyard water features do you mean fountains and pools?

      Delete
  11. Looks like a fun tour with great company.
    I can't even think of a Christmas story to tell. I'll keep thinking. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think anticipating Christmas with Ian this year will turn into the perfect Christmas memory.

      Delete
  12. This tour needs a catchier name. "Eighth Annual Amelia Island Museum of History Holiday Home Tour" is a bit of a mouthful. At the very least they should switch to Roman numerals. Forget the actual tour, I got exhausted just reading the name of the tour. I'm saying it's a long name. Also, thank you for the picture of the wiener dogs. Though in person, they are often mean little buggers, they are so delightfully odd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend of mine in Illinois had a wiener dog. He begged to sit on my lap. Then he offered me a kiss. The little bastard bit my lip. It bled. No more kisses for him.

      Delete
  13. Dickens, who belongs to GTATS just became a therapy dog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you thank you thank you for making me laugh so my daughters could look at me like there is something wrong with me and I was laughing so much I couldn't tell her why I was laughing so thank you for all of that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, that's a great comment. I love it when I laugh so hard that I can't even get out the words to explain my laughter.

      Delete
  15. This is too funny - glad you two are friends?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't leave the house--other than walks with Franklin--if Carol didn't drag me out. I never want to go, but then I have a wonderful time.

      Delete
  16. Aw, the doggies!! I would have totally been side tracked by them and not looked at anything else ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't look at the houses until I'd seen all the doggies.

      Delete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.