Monday, May 28, 2012

MEMORIAL DAY

Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

Here we are at another Memorial Day. If you would like to learn more about the history of this "holiday," then please click here.

I really hate to see signs that say

This is not Valentine's Day, nor is it Christmas. Memorial Day is not a day of celebration. It is a day of remembrance, a day to observe with gratitude the sacrifices made by members of our military.  I am observing this day in two ways.

First, I made donations to the USO and to an organization that helps provide medical care to returning veterans. I can't save those who are already gone, but I can try to help those who serve us now.

Second, it's a day to think about my dad -- to think about how much I appreciated being raised by such a good father. He was a veteran, and he died on Memorial Day.

If you would like to watch a movie today, I recommend War Horse -- it is a beautiful story and the film is beautifully made. I was very impressed by it. And for those of you who are tired of sad movies, it has a happy ending.


If you are fortunate enough to be in the Washington, D.C. area, a visit to Arlington National Cemetery is in order, along with a trip to the mall to see the monuments. I never cease to be moved by The Wall.

I do hope you will teach your children the meaning of Memorial Day. I would appreciate it very much.

Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug


15 comments:

  1. God bless our military, both here & gone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw War Horse and I really liked it, It's a very good movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it would be so sad that I wouldn't like it, but that wasn't the case.

      Delete
  3. you have a point there on the memorial day sale. it shouldn't be just another commercial day.
    have a good day, Janie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Janie. My last two post are about some personal heroes from WWII and Nam. It is a somber day for me...though I am taking the grand-kids swimming. They were at the memorial yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good that you involve your grandchildren in memorial observations.

      Delete
  5. I don't like sad movies, but I do like happy endings :)

    lovely post :)

    -B-

    ReplyDelete
  6. Memorial Day Sales frustrate me.... what they should be doing is donating part of each sale to the families of the fallen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A thoughtful post Lola. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Boomer. Thank you for the compliment.

      Delete
  8. Beautifully written post! It says it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barb. Is it still raining in Daytona? I am rather tired of this tropical storm.

      Delete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.