Wednesday, May 11, 2011

CHEAP AND RUDE?

Gentle Readers,

Before I get into how loose and nasty we are, we must welcome a new follower. It's a hot dad named Trooper Thorn at http://hotdads.blogspot.com/, whose photo you can see with those of my other followers, except LegalMist, who hasn't posted lately and is a mere shadow of her former self. You can also find the Super Trooper, who is extremely amusing, blogging at some other sites, which I trust you to be smart enough to find yourself once you've clicked on the link I provided or you can click on his photo. Welcome, welcome, welcome Trooper Thorn!

I find it very interesting and highly amusing that for someone with a "mere" (I value each and every one of you, Darling Followers, so don't be confused by my use of the word mere) nine followers, I get a lot of hits. I find I am increasingly popular in Slovenia and South Korea, so I say God bless you Slovenians and South Koreans and keep on comin' on.

Now, loose and nasty? Nah, that's not really what I want to talk about. Cheap and rude is my topic today because I was over at The Restaurant Managers Rant. The manager says that Sunday morning shifts are the worst in restaurants because church-going people have high expectations but are low tippers.

I posted a comment mentioning that I am a Christian and I typically tip 15 - 20% or more, especially since I rarely order an expensive meal so why shouldn't I give some extra money to that hard-working server?

However, the restaurant manager received many comments agreeing with him and stating that people who go to church are indeed cheap and rude.

I feel terrible.

I don't like it when Christians go out of their way to make Christians look bad.

I admit I have gotten pissy with servers a few times over the years, but only when the service has been really, really bad. I prefer to write something on a comment card or on the receipt. Or, if it's absolutely necessary, I say something to the manager. I also sometimes write compliments on the receipt.

On Mother's Day, Favorite Young Man and I went out for a nice meal. The food was great, but the service was extremely slooooooow. We waited a long time for the server to bring the check. He didn't, but he brought food to the next table. When he walked by, I asked for the check.

We continued to wait.

No check.

So, finally we went up to the cash register, and there our server was at a table near the front, serving meals to a very large group.

Favorite Young Man and I told the cashier we needed our check, but we didn't complain. It wasn't a big deal. I think they had more business than they expected to have at 3 p.m. on a Sunday. Normally, when F.Y.M. and I go out at mid-afternoon, the restaurant is dead. I think the server simply had more than he could handle. The gentleman at the cash register apologized. I replied, It's not a problem. Then I left the same tip I usually leave.

Please don't stereotype Christians/church attendees. I often go out with other Christians and I have never seen a single one behave in a disrespectful manner or leave a tiny tip. My Kathy, in particular, is generous with absolutely everyone.

However, if you go out to eat after church and this message has made you think you could be nicer and more generous, then please take the spirit-filled feeling you enjoy in church and carry it with you into the restaurant. Be as friendly and kind as you can be while your server brings you your meal that you now don't have to cook and serve yourself. Then when your tummy is full and you know you can go home and take a nap, please leave a generous tip for your tired server who can't go home yet.

My Brother and Sister Christians, we must watch ourselves and let the world see the love in which we believe.

Infinities of love,

Lola

2 comments:

  1. Excellent post.
    I used to be a waitress, and I personally loved the Sunday shifts because they were generally steady but not too busy, so I could give great service and get good tips on every table and make a good amount per hour that way.
    I hated to work the extremely busy shifts, like Friday or Saturday night. I was not a particularly great waitress, so when it was busy, I had a hard time keeping up with all my tables, and so some of the tables would get poor service, and then they would leave less money and some would leave nothing -- so I'd end up working twice as hard (and being very stressed out) for about the same amount of tip money overall.
    So, kudos to you for recognizing that your server was not intentionally ignoring your check request, just doing his best to serve *all* of his tables, and for leaving an appropriate tip. I'm sure he appreciated that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for another point of view. It's especially good to hear from someone who worked as a server.

    Love,
    Lola

    ReplyDelete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.