Wednesday, April 27, 2011

FOR COLORED GIRLS

Gentle Readers,

I watched the DVD of For Colored Girls, starring a whole host of our loveliest actresses and I pronounce it most worthy of watching.

It is pure poetry. The music of the language turns this film into a song of beauty and truth and bereavement.

The movie is based on a 1975 play by Ntozake Shange, For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide /When The Rainbow Is Enuf.

Please watch. Glory in the lyricism of the language. You will be glad you did.

Infinities of love,

Lola

Juanita: Now, how many times have you heard your man say it don't feel the same? My love is too beautiful to have it thrown back on my face. 
Yasmine: I like that. 
Juanita: Try one. 
Yasmine: What? 
Juanita: Well, I do it all the time in my class. You just say, "My love is too ____," and you just fill in the blank. 
Gilda: My love is too sanctified to have it thrown back on my face. 
Kelly: My love is too magic to have it thrown back on my face. 
Tangie: My love is too "Saturday Night" to have it thrown back on my face. 
Jo: My love is too complicated to have it thrown back on my face. 
Yasmine: My love is too music to have it thrown back on my face. 
Juanita: Yes, and you remember that when a man tries to walk off with all your stuff! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.