Thursday, January 25, 2024

THE KILLER PRINCESS

 Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

Not too long ago on a Sunday evening after the dogs had dined and it was dark, Princess insisted she needed to go outside. So of course I opened the back door and out she ran. She stayed longer than usual and when she came inside, she was excited. She twirled in circles and danced across the kitchen. 

Eventually, she settled down, but it wasn't long before she wanted to go out again, and when she came in, she was still excited. It was cold and I didn't go out with her. She made two or three more trips to the great outdoors before she decided it was okay to stay in for the evening.

When it was time for everyone to go out before bed (last call for whizzing all), Princess, Franklin, and Penelope trooped outside, but I noticed Penelope wandering around without bothering to pee. I stepped out on the deck to remind her it was potty time and as I walked across the deck, I realized something furry and flattened was on it. 

There it was: a dead rat. That was why Princess had been so excited. Once she realized I had seen it, she ran to Mr. Rat to tell me about the thrill of the kill. 

Leave it! I shouted. I didn't want to deal with it. When Penelope killed a rat in the yard a couple of years ago, something dragged away the corpse overnight. Would we be that lucky this time?

Morning arrived and I peeked outside. The monster was still there. So I put on my big girl panties, marched out to the garage to get the pooper scooper, scooped the rat, and made it disappear. I'm not saying where it went. 

Princess was disappointed. She wanted me to sautee it in a little olive oil with oregano, garlic poweder, and onion powder, and cover it in parmesan when it was done. She assured me the tail was a delicacy.

Yuck!

I think my age shows in my feet. After the soreness in my left foot finally went away, within a couple of days, my right foot started to hurt. At some point, both feet will hurt at the same time and the dogs will have to take care of me. Princess will probably serve me her recipe for Cheesy Italian Rat. I hope Penelope prepares a salad to go with it. 

Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug

P.S. I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I didn't take any photos of the rat.











39 comments:

  1. Princess was defending you. And I am sure she would be happy if you ate the rat raw. Eeeeuw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to eat rats or any other rodents raw or cooked. Yuck!

      Delete
  2. Rats- yuck! At least Princess didn't devour any of it. I love your sense of humour, Janie. ☺ You almost made the rat sound edible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad Princess didn't eat it, too. It's great that she killed it, though.

      Delete
  3. Ew, Princess!!! Thanks for not sharing photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your site and content. thanks for sharing the information keep updating,
    looking forward for more posts. Thanks Sports News

    ReplyDelete
  5. Better that the rat didn’t make it into the house. The dog did her job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rats have broken in a couple of times but left without me seeing them. I prefer they be killed outside.

      Delete
  6. Janie, I LOVED this post. You had me chuckling when you were describing the sautéing of the rat! Dogs can sure make one's life a little more interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know someone who has a doggy door so her dogs can come and go as they please. One night one of her dogs put a dead squirrel in bed with her!

      Delete
  7. Princess is doing a good job protecting you and the household!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I appreciate it. It's a fact of life that our city has rats.

      Delete
  8. I'm not at all disappointed that you didn't get a photo of the rat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even want a picture of a live rat. They are so ugly.

      Delete
  9. Ak. I might have just opted to move rather than deal with Flat Rat!

    Love the memes; spot on!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rats are so bad here that I'd have to move pretty regularly if I dealt with them that way.

      Delete
  10. OMGosh! She got it! Creepy to have rats. I'd be afraid they would get in the house, but with Princess around you are probably safe! Hurray for Princess! Great cartoons, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacksonville has a big rat problem. The closer one lives to an area with bars and restaurants, the more likely it is the rats will be around. I'm not very far from the main drag of our area. People around here also love to feed feral cats, so the cats have little to no interest in controlling the rodent population.

      Delete
  11. I bet Princess was so proud to show you her rat! AS for Trump, it's just hard to believe people still support him. But then we have people in this country who are idiots too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, she was very proud. Every country has its share of idiots.

      Delete
  12. Years ago my next door neighbor told me he came out to investigate the dog's ruckus in the front yard. His dog was tied to a tree, a rat was charging it and my cat was holding the rat at bay. My neighbor dispatched the rat, but wanted me to know what a brave cat I had.
    Yes, DeSantis should carry his campaign to term.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish the cats around here would do something about the rats. I would love to laugh at the continuation of a desantis campaign. He dropped out and endorsed trump because he hopes to be t's pick for vice president, I'm sure.

      Delete
  13. I would freak out at the sight of a dead rat on my deck, Janie! I wouldn't have the good sense of humor about it that you do. You're hilarious! I'm glad that Princess is taking good care of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't laugh when I saw it, but if Princess can be brave enough to kill a rat, then I have to be brave enough to get rid of it.

      Delete
  14. Oh yes, the political cartoons were awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Princess is looking out for you! Good dog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a very good girl, but I didn't kiss her for a couple of days after her big kill.

      Delete
  16. Princess did a good job but I did chuckle about her excitement. Many years ago our Buster found a dead hedgehog whilst out walking. I chased him around the field but couldn't catch him, eventually I walked away, he ran to catch up and dropped the hedgehog. I put his lead on, picked up the hedgehog (I was wearing gloves) and threw it into the long grass at the edge of the field. The next day when we approached that area he went straight to where it was and ran around playing with it. I changed our route for a few weeks after that encounter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do enjoy their dead animals! I'm sorry it's taken me so long to publish your comment. I've been very busy at work and under a lot of pressure so I haven't visited my blog in a while.

      Delete
  17. Love the stats on jobs.
    Bad judgement on the rat's part:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the stats on jobs, too. I got my job after Joe Biden became president.

      Delete
  18. Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Our animals live with us while constantly reminding us they are a different sort of animal...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I treat my dogs as members of the family, but they're the only family members I have who use the backyard as their toilet and will pick up a rat or mouse and shake it to death.

      Delete
  20. Princess is the goodiest best Princess ever, She is taking care of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She takes very good care of me and I appreciate her devotion.

      Delete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.