Wednesday, November 8, 2023

THE ARRIVAL OF A PRINCESS

 Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

Princess was very well behaved while traveling in the car, but when we arrived at the Little House On The Swamp, she was confused and distressed. She had no way of knowing why she was in yet another new place when she had become comfortable at the shelter.

Franklin and Penelope wagged their tails and welcomed her, but she had no interest in them. After meeting them in the back yard, she checked out the house and paced from one room to another for about three hours. This is the first photo I took of her when she finally stood still for a few minutes:


A few minutes later, Princess decided it was okay to lie down in the dining room. She must have been exhuasted, but after a few minutes of rest, she was up and moving again and she decided to check out some of the details of her new home. She discovered a bowl on the dining room table that held dog treats and stood up to help herself. 

No more keeping dog treats in the glass bowl on the table.

She also decided to help herself to anything she could find on the counters in the kitchen, including the medication I had out for myself for the following morning. If Princess had been feeling depressed or had allergies, perhaps she felt better after stealing my meds.

I hadn't had such a tall dog in the house for a long time. I had to train Princess not to stand up to take things from tables and counters, and I had to train myself to remove tempting items. Later in the evening when we settled down to sleep, she was fine and slept next to me. 

When I had to work the following morning, I told Princess we couldn't have any nonsense. She had to behave herself and be quiet––and she did and she was. She curled up on the couch and watched me so intently that I suspected she hoped to apply for my job.

And so those first few days went by. Penelope kept begging Princess to play; Princess ignored her.

On Saturday, Rebekah and her husband, Eddie, came over because they had graciously agreed to use their rototiller in part of my yard that was so overwhelmed by weeds that I couldn't remove them on my own. After Eddie did the work and he came inside, he asked for Franklin's brush. That was when he found the ugly, red pimple on Franklin's back leg that led to The Great Cancer Scare. to be continued


Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug


27 comments:

  1. I well remember the difficulties that low tables and a German Shepherd presented. Not only could our shepherds clear the tables easily, snaffling forbidden treats, a wagging tail cleared them in a different fashion.
    I am so glad that the cancer was found - and dealt with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tables don't even have to be very low for Princess to steal from them. She has also stood up to check out the china cabinet.

      Delete
  2. Princess is a gorgeous pup! I hope the pimple is nothing to be concerned about :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Franklin's pimple was a big concern, but it's okay now.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like Princess was able to settle in fairly quickly. I went though that sometimes, with restless dog boarders, but it never took too long. Good thing she's a shepherd. They are incredibly smart and learn quickly. Glad she didn't have any ill effects from your meds. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I was worried when I saw she had taken my medication, but a few hours had already passed when I realized it. I figured if nothing had happened yet, it probably wasn't going to be a problem.

      Delete
  4. All in all, sounds like Princess settled in pretty quickly and well, despite stealing your meds! Glad they didn't cause her any difficulties!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I put my meds in a Tupperware container. She has also stolen Tupperware bowls with treats in them, but at least she doesn't chew up or open the bowls.

      Delete
  5. Princess is a beauty!
    Now, though, I worry about Franklin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Princess is a beautiful girl. I know she will be a wonderful new family member

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a lovely member of our little family. We're happy she's here.

      Delete
  7. Oh, dear. Scares are not happy things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love reading the story of the arrival of the Princess. Please keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer. There's more Princess to come. She'll celebrate her first Christmas with us soon.

      Delete
  9. Well, I think she is beautiful.!!!!!!! And she looks happy to have a good home too. I like that all your pups look so different from each other to. We are getting ready to search to find another dog, to take the vacated place of Lily. A home is not a home without a pet me thinks.

    Meanwhile, I'm grossly behind in blogging. I've missed everybody. Glad to know I didn't miss the elf short. How would I go on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that a home is not a home without animals. I wouldn't let you miss the elf shorts.

      Delete
  10. Poor Princess. It must be so unsettling for them when they are moved from place to place. Good to know that she has a forever home now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope scare is all it was. She's so pretty.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very scary, but he's okay now. More to come.

      Delete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.