Friday, July 9, 2010

ONE DAY, ALL CHILDREN

Recently, Gentle Readers, I read One Day, All Children: The Unlikely Triumph of Teach for America and What I Learned Along the Way.

The author, Wendy Kopp, somehow managed to start Teach For America on a dream and a shoestring budget. Here is a young woman who overcame all sorts of obstacles -- naysayers and dream stealers chief among them -- to create a remarkably successful program to get well-qualified potential teachers (without education degrees) into the public schools.

Kopp's writing style is not exactly "Rah Rah Let's take one for the team," but I couldn't help feeling inspired by the program itself. It's such a work of genius that I just might apply myself. Unfortunately, but of course fortunately, all the teaching positions for the coming school year are filled.

One drawback to Teach For America for somebody like me is that you have to be willing to go where ever you are needed. I have my little house here in my little city, and I can't give it up and move at my age. I'm ensconced here with my dogs.

But I happen to know that my city has a Teach For America Corps, and I just might take my chances and go ahead and apply for the 2011-12 school year.

Wendy Kopp, you are way cool.

Love,

Lola

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.