Thursday, August 22, 2024

PENELOPE SPEAKS: Je suis épuisée

 Hello. It is I, Penelope. I am ready to drop from exhuastion. I am afraid Dr. G. will say I should be hospitalized because of the stress and strain in my life this summer, on top of a life as the saddest, most abused little dog who ever lived.

Here I am at the end of a difficult day, unable to move from my bed.


I have always taken on most of the responsibility to keep our household running. When Mom Mom is sick or injured, I am the one who takes charge. 

And now Auntie Rebekah is staying with us, so I have to take care of her, in addition to being in charge of the small creature she brought with her, Fritz. He is very needy and emotionally unstable. (Don't tell anyone I told you, but he takes medication prescribed by a psychiatrist; he needs a larger dose.)

Princess assists me in fulfilling my duty to Fritz. Auntie Rebekah had to go out for a while today––it was highly inappropriate, the woman has no business gallivanting around––and Fritz sometimes cries when she's gone. I convinced Fritz, with much cajoling, to sit on the couch with Princess, which assuaged his fears for a time.


I suspect I shall be responsible for Fritz for the rest of my pitiful little life.

Next week I have to take time off from my job with Fritz to see Dr. G. for my Annual Exam. You know, don't you, that I suffer terribly from arthuritis. Sometimes I limp because of it. I do not like it when Dr. G. manipulates my limbs to check how I'm doing. He also squirts nasty, wet stuff up my nose and he sticks needles in me. Needles, and needles, and needles. At least 20 to 30 needles of stuff that's called vaccinations. Oooooooh, the horror of vaccinations. 

On top of taking care of Fritz almost non-stop, I have spent most of my summer dealing with Mom Mom's various illnesses. I make her appointments with doctors and watch over her when she is ill. She also becomes angry about her job sometimes. Today she was so upset that during her lunchtime break she played the piano loudly and cursed mightily when she got a note wrong. I do not care for that side of my Mom Mom's personality.

I also want to talk to you about the saddest thing that happened this summer. I do not understand it and I have not recovered from it. My big brother, Franklin, is gone. I do not know where he went. I thought perhaps he went to College For Dogs the way Princess did last year. Princess came back. Franklin has not returned.

Mom Mom cried and cried and told me my beloved brother died. I do not know what died means. I think he is never ever coming back. I cry, too, when I think about him and how much I miss him.

A very nice neighbor who no longer lives here said he liked seeing Franklin and me together because we looked as if we were wearing matching tuxedos. 



I know I teased my big brother and called him the village idiot, but he was really very smart and so kind to me. We played chase around the big bush in the back yard until he couldn't walk very well anymore. I feel guilty for making fun of him. Please, can you tell me, will Franklin come back? Will I see him again? I am so worried about him.


I cry myself to sleep, missing Franklin.

Cette perte est tragique. Yes, I also continue to study the language of the great nation of France. If my responsibilities ever lessen, I still hope to visit that beautiful country.

I must sleep now. My work begins very early in the morning. 


32 comments:

  1. Pauvre Penelope. You work soooo hard and of course you miss Franklin. As we all do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. It is true. I am. I'm surprised the wings of an angel have not sprouted from my back of sleek, black fur.

      Delete
  3. Janie, I loved this post. Just the other day I was talking to Shirley about how she would have loved her brother, and it made all the sense to me and her! I have been studying the French language too! Every day I do a lesson. I grew up near Canada. My university was in New York, but it was only about an hour south of Montréal. I was never fluent, but I got to the point where I could carry on simple conversations. Alas, my French has gotten very rusty as no one I know speaks it. But I am determined to get it back as best I can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, it is I, Penelope. You have not been with us long enough to know how I yearn to move to France, where I will wear French dog sweaters, eat French cuisine kibble, and bark in French. Alas, when I attempted to make the trip a couple of years ago, Mom Mom ruined it for me and would not let me go. Perhaps you can try out your French with me. Mom Mom does not speak the language, but I try to learn as much as possible to expand my horizons.

      Delete
  4. Oh Penelope, I feel bad for you, missing Franklin so much while carrying the burden of responsibility for your household, especially Fritz. Your French is really quite marvelous and I hope you do see France some day. Did you enjoy seeing Paris on TV during the Olympics?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, I saw Paris on the television when Mom Mom wasn't hogging the remote control. It was beautiful. I particularly enjoyed the opening ceremony with the tableu depicting Dionysus. I was sad because the philistines accused the actors of portraying The Last Supper. Obviously, they know nothing.

      Delete
  5. Why you gotta make me cry first thing in the morning.

    What a lovely, sweet, funny, sad post.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, it is I, Penelope. I did not intend to make anyone cry. Please forgive me. Go blow your nose.

      Delete
  6. Pauvre Penelope! It's heartbreaking that Franklin is gone, but at least you have Princess. Hopefully, Fritz will calm down and you can all enjoy each other's company. Wishing your mom all the best for good health and happiness in the future, and may your trip to France become a reality!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my sister, Princess. Her work as my assistant is helpful, but she lacks my intelligence and my grasp of the importance of taking care of everyone during difficult situations. I miss my big brother, though. I shall miss him always and forever.

      Delete
  7. Penelope you need some respite. Ask (tell) your mom you need to come to rest with Rex and Lily in California.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Toni. It is I, Penelope. Although I would appreciate some time off for a visit with Rex and Lily, I am too loyal and devoted to leave behind my many responsibilities.

      Delete
    2. The loss of Franklin is heartbreaking. My Rex and Lily are both at least 16 years old. The anticipation of losing them is with us everyday. We hug and cuddle every chance we get.

      Delete
  8. Carry on, Penelope. You are wonderful and selfless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry the weight of the world is on you right now Penelope. I suggest you get some extra treats.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Triste! Penelope, you're doing a noble thing, holding the household together through such a period of change. You do deserve a trip to France.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci beaucoup. When I make my long awaited trip to France, perhaps you will meet me in Paris with Olga. Olga and I should be close friends.

      Delete
  11. Oh Penelope, I don't know where Mom Mom would be without you. You are a saint!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah! It has been one rough summer, Penelope. I can only hope you feel better after the stress of the doctor visit is over and done with. Rest all you can. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot rest now, Auntie Rita. I have too many duties. The weight of the world is on my tiny shoulders.

      Delete
  13. Oh, my dear Penelope - of course you miss Franklin. If you close your eyes and think about your brother, it will be somewhat helpful. You will still miss him, but he won't seem so far away. Hugs to you, my little furry friend. It is good that you have a job to do; that can help you forget the grief for a little while. It does seem like a very complex and time-consuming job, though. Do you receive adequate compensation? Days off? Pension? Or is it more like a volunteer job, giving from your heart? I suspect that is more the case. Give your mom mom a hug from me, will you please? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no days off and receive only the tiniest morsel of food, yet I continue to give and give because it is expected of me and I must. Everything and everyone in the house depends on me. Yes, I will give Mom Mom a hug, but only if she scratches my back for a while first.

      Delete
  14. Love that picture of Fritz and Princess. So cute. It's not easy getting over the loss of a good friend. Keep taking care of everybody Penelope. You're doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Auntie Lorraine. Please give your doggy a kiss from me, but I do not send any kisses to your hideous cats.

      Delete
  15. To learn French should be an essential goal in life for everyone, to visit France is to make life complete. Bonne journée et bisous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are lucky to share your life with canines, Janie

    ReplyDelete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.