Monday, October 23, 2023

THE ADOPTION OF ROYALTY

Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

 I applied to adopt Princess. I usually adopt dogs who might be considered unadoptable because of their health or fear issues. I also have the requisite fenced-in backyard with a six-foot (and some) fence. Since I work from home, I would be able to give Princess loads of love and attention. She would also have built-in dog friends. I knew Franklin and Penelope would welcome her with open paws. Princess, at two years old, would help to keep the older dogs active.

I received a swift approval to my application along with an invitation to visit the shelter. This shelter wasn't just any shelter, though, that would easily allow me to pick up a dog and go home. I would have to spend time answering questions and getting to know Princess. Would she fear me? Would the person who runs the shelter think I was acceptable? 

I asked Carol to join me.She is Grandma to my dogs and would tell anyone who would listen that my dogs are well cared for.



We arrived in Green Cove Springs early on an April afternoon. The shelter could take seven shepherds at a time. Princess was from Tennessee. Her mistress had moved to Florida, been diagnosed with a cancer that was to claim her life, but had somehow found the shelter's benefactress, who drove Princess to the shelter. 

The woman who ran the shelter, "Ann," brought out Princess to meet me. 

She was beautiful. No, she was gorgeous. She was amazing. She looked at me with eyes that were not quite brown. They were more of a warm amber and the fur on her head and neck was red, with fawn and some darker colors on her lower body.

We spent some time outside with Princess, while Ann asked me questions. What did I feed my dogs? When did I feed them? Why did I want a German Shepherd? It was hard to tell from the photos I'd emailed how large my yard was and Shepherds would become destructive if they didn't get enough exercise. Was my yard really big enough? How would I exercise Princess? How would I? When would I? What would I? 

I could tell Ann didn't like my responses. She frowned a lot and at times, she told me I was wrong and told me what I needed to do instead, yet we moved inside to go over more details. Princess allowed me to pet her. Her fur was made of velvet. Ann didn't like the way I reached out to Princess and corrected me. Was she going to let me adopt this dog I had already fallen in love with?

Finally, I asked, So, can I take Princess home with me? Ann said Princess had already made the decision. Yes, she had, by settling on my feet and staring at me with absolute devotion. I signed a contract stating I would not give Princess to someone else, and if for some reason I couldn't keep her, I would return her to the shelter, and I paid a fee, along with making a donation because I didn't want Ann to change her mind.

Ann cried. She cried when she talked about Princess leaving with me. She cried before Princess left with me. She cried when we left. And she cried in between all the other crying. Ann was devoted to the dogs. 

Princess hopped right in the back seat of my car, happy to go for a ride. I told Carol, For a while there, I didn't think she was going to let me have Princess. Carol agreed. I didn't think so either. 

We were relieved to drive away with our girl and head for home.   to be continued

Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug 

  







19 comments:

  1. Wonderful news! Princess is a princess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is the Princess of Royal Avenue and the Princess of Grammar. I'm sure she'll end up with many other titles. One nickname I use for her is Princess Bunny Rabbit because she's so adorable.

      Delete
  2. I know you are the perfect person to have adopted Princess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very kind of you, Debra. I was surprised by how quickly she bonded with me.

      Delete
  3. Ann and Princess both made the right decision! ☺ May you and your girl have a wonderful life together. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far so good, but Princess is rambunctious and still needs more training.

      Delete
  4. May you and Princess share many happy days together. I suspect she has found her Shanghai-La.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think she knows she has the perfect owner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our local shelter (we adopted three cats from them) also out us through a giant questioner; the length of it alone would have scared some away. Some of the questions were... questionable. We wrote the way too many essays (the space allotted on the paper suggested the expected answers should be essay-length) like the good people we are. Their rigor, they explain, was because of the much too large number of adoptions that fail.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not sure where my comments here disappear to (like my post today on my own blog, about "where did all my old emails go?") but wanted to try again: When we adopted three cats from our local shelter, we went through a process better for serving national intelligence work: a questionnaire of unwieldy length where many of the questions were... well, QUESTIONABLE, and also an interview and more documentation f our records as homeowners and faithful utilities bills payers. The shelter said it was because the rate of failed adoptions was alarming, and this was to weed out all but the real-deal folks. We got through, and our felines are the lights of our home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two of your comments made it through, as you can see. I'm sure you're well suited to national intelligence work and would not keep top secret documents in your bathroom. Now the shelters are overflowing with pets and the shelters are desperate for people to take them. It's terrible.

      Delete
  8. She is lucky to have you and you are lucky to have her!!
    Funnies are good, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're very true. Princess wants to be close to me all the time.

      Delete
  9. It's nice to know the story behind Princess' arrival in your household. It must be nerve-wracking to have to answer those questions while feeling the interviewer is not really on your side. Maybe she has seen a lot of returned dogs and her heart has been hurt too often. I'm glad you have Princess now. Those memes are perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure anyone who runs a rescue sees a lot of sad stories. Perhaps it bothered her that I had never owner a German Shepherd before. Getting used to the ways of a shepherd has been interesting, to say the least.

      Delete
  10. Princess is a Princess for sure. I am so glad she chose you! Google won't let me sign in so this is Auntie Maureen :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad she chose me, too. She still has a lot to learn, but she's a sweetheart. Some extra lessons will probably start during November.

      Delete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.