Tuesday, November 15, 2022

SERIES WEEKEND: THE CROWN SEASON FIVE

Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

How's everybody? Been staying on Santa's Nice List, or are you eternally on the Naughty List and don't care?  

On Sunday I dragged around some big branches and picked up sticks downed by Nicole, and I mowed, a pleasant task with the lower temperatures.

I bought a new lawn mower a few months ago. I used to have Clippy. Now I have Zippy.

Zippy is a member of Planned Parenthood and wears her WE WON'T GO BACK sticker with pride. She also has plans of her own. As a battery operated mower,  she is quieter and smarter than her gas guzzling counterparts. Therefore, she intends to sneak up behind Mitch McConnell, Lindsey Graham, and quite a few other men so she can knock them down and mow right over them to remove their tiny excuses for penises and balls.

I hope she lets me watch.

I also had to grocery shop. When I was stopped at a red light, the man in the next lane spoke to me and gestured at my car. I thought something was wrong, but he  merely wanted to let me know he liked the bright blue of my car and wants to get his next truck in the same color. He told me of his intention so many times that I was grateful when my light turned green while his remained red. 

I did some reading, too. I'm about 60 pages in on Like A Rolling Stone by Jann Wenner. I've read enough to state with confidence that Wenner is a man in love with himself and with rock music––in that order. 

Then there's The Crown. Season Five showed up on Netflix last week. I didn't watch anything else until I'd seen it because I've found the previous seasons delightful and dishy. I finished the tenth and final episode last night and was not impressed, which I attribute to miscasting––with a couple of exceptions. 

The cast for The Crown changes every two seasons. The current crop doesn't cut it. They're so lacking in warmth that I feel little interest in them. 

Imelda Staunton as Queen Elizabeth only comes to life in a couple of sequences with young Prince William (Senan West), who helps her with her TV because an aging grannie doesn't want to give up her old set, and when she does, she can't figure out how to use the new one because all old people are stupid and technologically challenged. I'm old and obviously can't cope with my laptop or my smart devices, which is why the paragraph above about Zippy is all in caps and a different color. I can't change it no matter how many times I retype it and make adjustments. 

Emma Corrin originated the role of Diana during season four. She brought a lovely charm and innocence to the role. That sweetness is gone with Elizabeth Debicki in the part. She does the head down with eyes looking up thing, but other than that, she's not Princess Diana-ish at all. Diana was tall––5' 10"––but Debicki at  6' 3" towers over the other actors, giraffe like. She certainly doesn't do the "revenge dress" justice. She makes Prince Charles (Dominic West) and Camilla Parker-Bowles (Olivia Williams) look good in spite of the whole "I want to be your tampax" thing. 

I found some bright spots, though. I enjoyed Prince Philip's (Jonathan Pryce) story about taking up carriage driving when he has to give up polo, and the lovely friendship he develops with Penelope Knatchbull, a relative whose young daughter has died. 

Princess Margaret also has a good plot line as she reconnects with the great love of her youth, Peter Townsend. Lesley Manville is fine, although without the acid of the great Helena Bonham Carter, who made an outstanding Margaret.

The Crown will have a sixth season. It's supposed to be the last. It will be a lengthy wait for that final season. It's best that the show winds down. It's losing its power.

As for the controversy over did such-and-such reeeeeeeally happen, I don't care. If you watch a movie or series based on real events and real people and you think everything in it is accurate and happened exactly the way it's depicted, then you're a silly sap. Get over it, John Major and everyone else who's bitching about it. The show is similar to a roman a clef, but without fictionalized names for the characters.

So, there you go. That's what I've been up to. I hope your week has gotten off to a good start.

Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug

22 comments:

  1. Because the Queen is Canada's head of state, we've been inundated over the years here with non-stop royal family news coverage (certainly compared to the much lesser amount you get in the USA). As a result, I cannot abide anything more than media news reports and so I do not read any books about the royal family, any documentaries or any series, including "The Crown." But I'm glad you're enjoying "The Crown."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised we had so much coverage when Elizabeth died. It was exhausting, so I can imagine that with so much attention all the time that you get sick of it.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the acquisition of Zippy! Sure to make your yard work a little easier. I started watching The Crown 5 last week and agree with your assessment of the cast changes. Too bad! Surely they could have carried on with the previous cast, adding a little ageing makeup?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zippy makes my work much easier, even when it's 90 degrees and humid. I wish The Crown had kept the same cast. They were so much better.

      Delete
  3. Haven't heard a lot of good about this season of The Crown. A shame. Your lawn mower photo made me laugh. I thought “We won’t go back” meant it could only be pushed in one direction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of that, too--Zippy refusing to be wheeled backwards.

      Delete
  4. I read your post up until you mentioned The Crown. TheHub and I are going to start watching it tonight and, just in case, I want no spoilers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea. I didn't reveal a lot but it's more fun when you don't already know which events will be covered.

      Delete
  5. It's hard for me to have the characters switch like that. Probably why I never got past season three--LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is weird. I don't know why they didn't keep the original actors and let them age with make-up. Besides, it's so long between seasons that they're aging naturally. Maybe someone thought the show would get more publicity with the cast changes every two years.

      Delete
  6. When Zippy makes the transect over McConnell, Graham et al please let me know so that I can add a few more names and get a front row seat to watch. I'll bring my binoculars to scan for the small appendages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zippy is out to, uh, help quite a few men who need their anatomy rearranged. Binoculars are a good idea. I don't want to get close enough to them to use a microscope.

      Delete
  7. I like how they bring in new actors every so often, but sometimes the differences are so jarring as to make you focus on that and not the program itself.
    xoxo
    PS Love Zippy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to see you, Bob! Welcome back. The difference between Olivia Colman and Imelda Staunton is too great. Staunton is dull and lifeless.

      Delete
  8. LOVE The Crown! Even though I know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you think Queen Elizabeth dies in the end? I hope it won't be Princess Diana.

      Delete
  9. I just finished THE CROWN season 5 last night. I agree with all you wrote. Neither this Queen Elizabeth nor Charles were the best casting and Diana... OY. It helps to contribute to looking askance at these actors and they imagined dialogue that we lived this chapter in our real newsreels. They're not "history" for those of us who weren't born the day before yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the actor who played Charles was too good looking and confident to be at all Charles-ish. It's very different now that the show is in a time that many of us remember well.

      Delete
  10. I'm eternally on the naughty list and I don't care one bit. We recently finished season five of The Crown and I feel the same way. This group just doesn't cut it. I particularly didn't like the actress portraying Princess Diana. She came off as childish and whiney. Princess Diana was warm and friendly. And the choice for Queen Elizabeth. No. No. No. Bleh... I was happy to be done with this season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad we're together on the naughty list, Martha. I'll watch the sixth season to finish off the show, but I don't expect much. I wish they'd done a spin-off instead--maybe a series with 1 or 2 seasons all about Princess Margaret. And have Helena Bonham Carter in the part.

      Delete
  11. I watched a some of the first season and the music was wonderful but I think it is beyond awful from what I read now. I really want the head of netflix and writers to have their life and families splatter across the TV. all the awful and made up details. or the they can start with the Biden's especially the son who is in bed with the russians and others. The don't have to do trump (thank goodness) ... he is splattered every day in the news. yuck...
    It is a shame that I think many people will believe what they see on the tv. What must William think of what he hears about his Mum being dragged across the TV by harry for netflix money.

    ReplyDelete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.