Monday, February 13, 2017

TAXES SHMAXES AND SOME OTHER STUFF THIS JUNEBUG HAS ACCOMPLISHED

Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

First, thank you for welcoming my sister to my blog last week. She said the post was her fifteen minutes of fame. I disagreed. I think she's far more lauded for the long and successful career from which she retired recently.

Now on to the taxes. Yes, I finished. Yes, I shall receive a small refund. I hoped for more. I thought that a major home improvement (my new roof) was deductible. However, the IRS does not smile upon a new roof unless it is a particular kind of roof with the blessing of Energy Star, and even then the IRS kind of smirks for thirty seconds before returning to its 🙍.

Still, I don't owe any money so things could always be worse.

Our little family misses Willy Dunne Wooters, who is sick and tired––literally. He has  a bad cold and has to work six days a week for an indefinite period of time. The last time he was here, though, we started watching season one of Girls on HBO On Demand. I'm sure Girls isn't everyone's cup of opium pods, but it has the kind of quirky humor that works for us.

When the Wooters man feels better, I look forward to more Girls and more Willy.



Where were we? I feel a little hot and bothered now.

Oh, yes. The next subject is postcards. I follow Joanne Noragon at Cup On The Bus. Joanne is major league. She's a woman who took on the task of raising three grandchildren. Only Laura remains with her now. I love it when Joanne writes about Laura's activities because Laura's interests remind me of my daughter.

Joanne is a devoted grandmother, employee, blogger, and all-around-good person. She suggested not long ago that sending postcards to our senators, representatives, and other folks in government is even more worthwhile than signing online petitions.

I decided to follow more than Joanne's blog. I followed her lead with the purchase of postcards. Then I thanked Elizabeth "Nevertheless, she persisted" Warren. I reminded my senators, representative, and anyone else involved that I need my Affordable Care Act insurance. Without it, I'm on my own.

I've protested Cabinet nominations. I've asked that the people who represent me behave as if they represent me and the other people who voted for Hilary Clinton because we are in the majority, and no, potus, that didn't happen because of voting by illegal aliens. When you were elected, all the illegal aliens hopped back on the mother ship and went home to Venus or whatever planet they called home because they didn't want to read your tweets.

I've written to folks in our government about alternative facts and the Bowling Green massacree (misspelling intentional just as the accusation that the media didn't cover the massacree is intentional). Kellyanne Conway said it was a mistake; she misspoke.

But she said it more than once, along with other alternative facts that are repeated.

Thanks to Joanne, writing and mailing postcards has become part of my life, but I'll continue to sign online petitions, too.

I'm also in touch with Rita of SoulComfort's Corner. She's had the first of her eye surgeries. It's difficult for her to read and write online, but at least she can watch TV to pass the time. Rita hangs in there with good spirits and aplomb. Please remember her in your prayers or send good thoughts to her through whatever universe your mother ship flies.


Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug

P.S. Supposedly, one-third of Americans do not know that the Affordable Care Act and Obama Care are the same thing. That frightens me.

Now, let's lighten up!

I'm a violator!
Tow me to my $50, please.

36 comments:

  1. Hi Janie - good to see the post and that you at least are feeling easier - good luck to Mr DW ... I hope he feels better soon - but good he's got work. Politics here is challenging and you have it too ... good luck to us all - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WDW and I are grateful that he has such a good job and nice prospects for some work following his "retirement."

      Delete
  2. Congrats on finishing your taxes. Early no less. I'm dreading my first visit to TurboTax (not an endorsement). Hopefully WDW gets some rest soon. Signing petitions and writing postcards is good, but the best thing you can do is call your representatives. It's easy and, according to a staff member of a former senator who visited my town recently, it's the most effective. But, only call your own representatives, otherwise your voice will be ignored. Also, if you live in red state like I do, pay attention to your state house reps too, they are feeling emboldened to push through some horrific discriminatory policies right now. And good vibes to Rita.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the information about calling. I'll get the phone numbers I need.

      Delete
  3. Wow, there's a lot in this post! Let's see..
    1. I'm glad you don't owe taxes
    2. Girls is good! I enjoyed some seasons more than others. Looking forward to the last season.
    3. I agree that postcards/hand written letters are a good way to contact your congresspeople
    3. Nevertheless, she persisted (just had to add that again!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Lena Dunham. She's very smart, and she persisted.

      Delete
  4. We got our taxes locked, loaded and shot off this weekend. Got a few dollars back, too. Got it behind me for another year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sigh of relief--that's how I feel when I'm done.

      Delete
  5. Those postcards are satisfying, aren't they! And keep signing on line polls. I hear potus pays attention to them. I think all of us are doing a good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised that potus pays attention to what happens online. It seems to be his favorite forum.

      Delete
  6. As I'm restricting my *news* intake I hadn't heard about the alternative fact of the Bowling Green massacre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms. Conway has apologized--for one of the times she said it.

      Delete
  7. Rita has had a tough time. I felt so bad for her when Karma died. I'll keep her in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rita and Karma were together for a long time. Losing Karma was a terrible blow.

      Delete
  8. I've been wanting to watch Girls from the beginning. I've been curious about it and think I'd enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a feeling I'd like it. I watched the first episode from season one by myself and knew that WDW would think it was funny.

      Delete
  9. With Mom gone our taxes are going to be more complicated. Mrs. Chatterbox usually does them but this year we might need a CPA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a CPA and I will do your taxes for one billion dollars.

      Delete
  10. Your " Rita" comment was sweet..thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Girls and am looking forward to watching the final season.
    I am not writing but I am calling my Senator (since one of my senators is now the AG, ugh!) and Representatives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pickleope said in his comment that phone calls are even better. When I start calling, I probably won't stop for days. Has potus chosen even one good person for a position with his administration?

      Delete
  12. You're right about Obamacare versus the ACA. I heard about at least one carefully-worded poll in which more responders were against "Obamacare" than there were people against the "Affordable Care Act."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw a clip from a TV show of a woman saying she likes the ACA but doesn't like Obamacare because she doesn't like anything associated with Obama.

      Delete
  13. I am follower of Rita as well and hope she is ok and as you said at least she can watch telly but knowing how much she loves her craft it would be frustrating not being able to do it. A tax refund is always better then a tax bill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rita seems to be hanging in there pretty well. I agree about the refund.

      Delete
  14. I hope WDW is feeling better and able to spend more time with you. Working 6 days sucks. We really do need 2 days to rest up from the stress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Six days a week is supposed to continue for quite some time.

      Delete
  15. Love Elizabeth Warren and congrats for getting your taxes done in such a timely manner! I also would be SOL without the Affordable Care Act (thank you President Obama).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God bless the Obamas. I would have kept them in the White House forever if I could.

      Delete
  16. I'm sending Rita an email!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's nice. She'll know we're thinking of her.

      Delete
  17. Congrats on getting your taxes done but sorry you couldn't get much for having the roof done. I hope your hubby will feel better soon and that you can both enjoy Girls together...that doesn't sound right but you know what I mean:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the way that turned out. We love girls, or we love Girls? WDW isn't my husband, though. He's friend and lover. He'd probably drive me crazy if he were my husband.

      Delete
  18. Good stuff on the refund! That's always a good thing. I hope everything works our for my American friends. All your news floats up to Canada, so we are aware of what's going on. And we sympathize.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the kindness we've been shown by citizens of other countries. It means a lot to me.

      Delete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.