Monday, February 6, 2017

A DRIVE IN NEW JERSEY

Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

As I continue to slog through receipts and crawl toward finishing my taxes, I offer for your reading pleasure a post that my sister, Linell Goltz Gieser, wrote for Facebook. She gave me permission to share it with you.

And as my nephew Gabe Goltz said, his Aunt Linell is a badass.

Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug




Today I needed to drive from my home in southern NJ to the northernmost part of NJ for a couple of appointments. As I drove through NJ I saw rusted out factories, gangs running amok in our cities, mothers and children living in poverty, evidence of gang led crime, and young children robbed of good educations..............wait a minute I didn't see any of that. I saw communities where people clearly care about their homes. I did business today with two small companies that are clearly prospering (both of which I have been a customer for over twenty years). I saw an America that is already good if not great. Maybe our new President should communicate that he wants to make sure that all of America is great instead of implying that none of America is great. That America should be great for all Americans including our LGBTQ family and friends. That America should look at health care as a right not a privilege. That our public schools are a tremendous resource that should be nurtured and treasured. That our role in the world should not be as isolationist. Then maybe all of us could feel hopeful about the next four years instead of scared shitless.

21 comments:

  1. If only. If only he looked at actual facts, that crime is down, that a diversity of voices and experiences hasten progress, that taking measures to protect the environment have long-term economic benefit, if only facts mattered. Call your congressman and senator and anyone in a position to fight for common sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. Keep calling your congress men and women. And be sure to tell the good ones they're doing good. Resist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your sister said it beautifully. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Education is the way to progress.
    Great post today.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aren't sisters awesome? Mine's a badass, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally agree and what Stephen said :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really good post. Very well written. Must run in the family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your sister is a smart cookie :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this. So true, and yet so many just don't want to hear it. This whole #MAGA BS implies that America sucks now (or at least before Drumpf took over.) How patriotic is that?

    Some people are easily (mis)led by fear and anger and hatred. I'll take hope and equality and pragmatism any day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is excellent and well written. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm. Well, I'm one of those conservatives. I think America is a great country, and I think President Trump thinks so, too. (And yes, perhaps he should verbally recognize all that is great more often.) But it's not perfect. There are problems. There are problems with our schools. There are problems with national security. There were problems with Affordable Health Care. President Trump is trying to fix the problems. I think instead of bashing President Trump, and resorting to protests and riots, we should see what he's going to do. If these problems persist, and he hasn't made a positive difference, we can vote him out in four years.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well written post. Thank you for sharing.
    As too slugging through your taxes, the good news is that you have what to be taxed ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is very well said, and I can tell it comes from a place of love. We need way more of this and much less angry shouting/violence, which solves nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I swear, every candidate running always makes us sound like we are 1930's America in the midst of the depression. I'm no longer moved by the rhetoric. I have faith in Americans, even when I don't have it in our leaders.

    ReplyDelete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.