Friday, October 7, 2016

BOTB RESULTS: BLACK KICKS BOYZ' BUTTS

Gentle Readers . . . and Matthew,

As we awaited your arrival, Matthew, I counted the votes in my October 1, 2016, Battle of the Bands.

Boyz II Men   5
Jack Black    14

That's such a decisive win for Jack that I won't bother to vote. No, wait. Yes, I will, dammit all to nell. I give my vote to Jack Black!

Boyz II Men   5
Jack Black    1415

Suck it, Boyz. You are the musical equivalent of watching grass grow. I thought you'd never shut up.

Pardon me. I feel a bit feisty today as Matthew fills Lake Junebug and the frogs sing. Matthew has proven himself to be quite the rude guest everywhere he has gone. Now he expects to enjoy The Lake Junebug Resort. 

Bite my little pink butt, Matthew!

We are fortunate because Matthew is now predicted to keep a bit of a distance from us, but I applaud my city and its environs for the evacuation of the beaches and the many shelters that opened, some of which are dog, cat, ferret, and other-small-animals friendly (no snakes or other exotic pets allowed, but I did see that stalls were available for horses at some shelters). Buses went to a number of schools to take those in need to shelters.

Most businesses are closed so the workers can stay at home where they belong. No one should be on the road today except emergency workers. 

But what about the homeless? Favorite Young Man and I got out of the house yesterday while the gettin' was good. We needed dog food and a few other non-perishable foods, a.k.a. cookies. A man stood at the entrance to the grocery store as he held the ubiquitous sign stating he was hungry. Another thin man wandered down the road, wrapped in a gray blanket. Others walked through the wind and rain to reach a bus stop.

Favorite Young Man assured me that the police would seek out the homeless to offer them rides to shelters. The National Guard is on duty, too, with their big trucks. May God bless and keep all who are affected by this storm.

The electricity has flickered on and off twice in the last five minutes. We expected we would lose power. Our gadgets are powered up, and we have plenty of books to read. We will be fine, but you might not see me for a few days.

I'll certainly be back by October 15 for the next Battle of the Bands. While the electricity stays on, I think I might watch my close personal friend Jack Black in High Fidelity.

But I ask Marvin to sing us out.


Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug




32 comments:

  1. I certainly hope that you and yours + all others make it through the storm JJ. It looks like Florida dodged a huge bullet, although the good news is mixed with the bad in that hurricane complacency will increase. Glad to hear that you are hunkered down and in a good position to ride out the storm. I can't imagine what it must be like to be homeless. Homelessness is a complex, stubborn, and tragic situation. Take care, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn - Marvin! Didn't want this version to end. Not a bad backup band either. ;-)

    You stay safe, Janie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look up "sexual" in the dictionary and you should see a photo of Marvin Gaye.

      Delete
  3. Yay for Jack Black! He really did win big! Good for him. I had no idea he could sing and was pleasantly surprised.
    I'm so glad that Matthew is keeping his distance from you and that you're not worried. Be safe and eat lots of cookies!

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even open the cookies. It was over before I knew it.

      Delete
  4. No doubt Marvin is by far the best!

    I love your run for necessities___dog food and cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was one of my favorite parts of that movie!

    Glad you are safe! ( and that you have cookies, or maybe had cookies)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got to finish High Fidelity this morning when the electricity came back on so I saw Jack sing--again.

      Delete
  6. I was wondering how it was going in your area.
    Happy to know you are OK.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dogs have to splash around when they go out, but they're okay.

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad you and the critters are ok. I know weather can be brutal and displace families for weeks or even longer.
    Take care.
    4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. All is well. I wish I could send you some water from Lake Junebug. I know it's dry where you are.

      Delete
  8. Yes, it does appear that Mathew is being very, very rude. It's nice to hear, though, that your city is doing a good job helping people weather the storm...so to speak. Enjoy the cookies and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm impressed that the city got the power back on so quickly.

      Delete
  9. Glad to hear you guys are okay. We humans have a tendency to suck, but it's nice to know that when things get really bad, we're there for each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All is well. I'm happy that most places closed yesterday and some are still closed. Apparently the streets are bad in spots because of downed trees. It's a good time to stay at home and read a book.

      Delete
  10. I hope you all will be okay down there...and keep your electricity, too. Glad Jack Black won. Even though he can't compete with Marvin, he really surprised me with how well he can sing.

    Stay safe!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twelve hours without electricity. No big deal.

      Delete
  11. Hoping all goes well for you and yours.

    Speaking of Jack Black's singing, have you ever heard his two-man band, Tenacious D?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hopefully you don't get hit so stay safe. So glad Black won.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did not get a direct hit, but I was glad Favorite Young Man was here. I would have been a little frightened without him.

      Delete
  13. Hope you and the dogs are OK. Thanks for Marvin, it's been a while.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad to know you're safe.

    And thank you for including the original.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Keeping faith that you, your favorite young man, Marvin Gaye (wait, is he dead?), and Jack Black are safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marvin Gaye has been dead for a long time. His father shot and killed him. I think I am alive, though I have been told otherwise.

      Delete
  16. Living in the midwest, I can't imagine this sort of weather. As for the homeless, you would think they were already aware of the shelters in the area and seek one immediately.
    Bummer my selection didn't win, but I really wasn't overly impressed with Jack Black. Chalk it up to poor taste on my part I suppose. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some homeless people won't go to shelters. They live in wooded areas in tents.

      Delete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.